-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday the results of the Ontario moose tag draws were released. We again got a combination of bull and cow tags. How did everyone else make out?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What - no one else got lucky?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My group of 6 archery hunters have a bull and cow tag for WMU 24. I haven't received any reports of tags for my firearms group in WMU 47, so I assume we'll be calf hunting.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt actions are BORING!!!

Don't mix the two!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nothing in the mail yet, so still hopeful. Both wife and I were in pool 1, so . . . . . . . wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shootist:
Most of those I talked to received their tags in the mail on Wed., Aug. 1st. Keep your fingers crossed you may still get lucky. What unit were you trying for?

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
5 and 8 - - - - but I live on the other side of the map. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shootist, it just occurred to me that when I phoned in to inquire about my draw results the Ministry said there would be some excess tags on sale later in the month. (First come, first served.) I think it is about the 21st. They will be available in a number of the units out in your end of the province.
If you do not draw a tag you might still be able to get one of these excess tags. To get info phone the MNR inquiry line.
It seems to me that this is a new program as I don't recall this being done before. I read all through the regulations and didn't find anything mentioned about it there.
Maybe they are doing it because of the number of complaints coming in from people who never get a tag.
Any how I just thought you might be interested if you had not already heard about it. Jim

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Jim. I'll wait out the mail. Typically, it takes a week to 10 days to get stuff from the big smoke to here. They are also holding back 5% of the tags for NW Ont residents that were unsuccessfull, so we might get drawn that way too. Typically the excess tags are in WMU1C and it is one of those, "You can't get there from here - - - or anywhere else." grin

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shootist, Actually the recorded message mentioned around 6 units. If I remember correctly 16C and 17 were included. These might be more meaningful to you. Just a thought. Jim

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've given up trying to get a moose tag in Ontario .... almost impossible.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RobP - Tags are not impossible to get. You just have to be prepared to go to where they are available. This year we have 3 tags for 4 of us, same as last year. I have repeatedly asked the MNR why they do not set up a system that would allow someone who receives a tag in excess of what their party needs or wants to turn the extra tag back in. They have a B.S. story about it not being possible. In other words they don't want to modify the present system. There have been several times when we have had more tags than we wanted and would have turned one back if they could have been picked up by someone else.
You are right when you say tags are hard to get, but only in certain areas. If you are looking for a sure thing in the hard to draw areas you better give up the idea of hunting adult moose.
Over the years I and my friends have spent a lot of money travelling to remote spots in Ontario in order to get away from the crowds. Don't say it can't be done, just be prepared to put out the effort i.e. driving time, and/or money it takes.
We didn't get our chances without cost, neither will you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I realize if I drive very far north, or go to a remote rail only, or fly in, that I can get a tag - bu the time (and expense) is tough with a young family.

I am originally from Northern Ontario and when out in the bush, granted not a very scientific survey, but do see a good number of moose, yet the minimum group sizes are still 10+. So in one way when seeing how many tags are set aside for hunters in WMU's where population seem healthy, and then also seeing the hunting pressure from those who don't need licenses (1st nations people) immediately before the gun season, I have a hard time stomaching giving the government my annual "donation" to not get a tag repeatedly. In the past 10 years, I've only had a tag once and last year was the first year I just said screw it, and didn't bother applying.

Maybe in a few years again, when the kids are older and I have more disposable income, I'll see if I can get further north to the WMU's with more tags.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The age of your children and the amount of disposable income are inversely proportional, so forget it! grin

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.