Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I am a posting MACHINE! Jump back, scared my bad self! (any old James Brown fans out there?)

Anyway as the Cult of Nosler thread winds and wends it's way it seems to me that there is a lack of agreement over what a premium bullet even IS, or does.

I'd be curious to hear what folks think.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

-jeff

A "Premium" bullet is one that controls expansion by mechanical means allowing the bullet to penetrate deeply without breaking up on bone, etc., while consistently retaining at least 50% of its original weight.

Alternate definition: A "Premium Bullet" is one that costs a premium.

I call Premiums "1% Bullets"... ie, you probably only truly need them 1% of the time and only then on the bigger varieties of big game.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
loosely it would be something OTHER than cup and core:
homogenous like TSX,banded solids,Monolithic solid,Northfork
mechanically controlled expansion like NP,TBBC,GS

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A premium bullet, to me, is one that I can count on to penetrate deep, expand reliably, and go where I think it should go. AKA the TSX. Or the X. Or the TTSX.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sierra...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I knew the Great Spirit of Sierra would finally wear you down....

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Anything that reaches the vitals and damages them'cause someone correctly put it there.
I kinda like wide meplat heat treated lead bullets I make myself, cause I can blame myself for a crappy shot AND a crappy bullet.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems, sometimes, that the scale of what is and isn't premium has slid upwards (towards the nirvana of penetration it seems).

That all I gots right now. Two big burritos with chipoltes has blood all in stomach now. None left for brain.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good definition is one that has eluded me.

That said, here�s what I want in a hunting bullet and any bullet that can fulfill these requirements is one I�m willing to accept as a �premium� and pay accordingly:

1. It should expand reliably across a wide range of velocities and maintain the expanded frontal area.
2. It should have a means of positively limiting expansion.
3. It should have high weight retention at any impact speed.
4. It should provide excellent accuracy.

How these goals are achieved is really immaterial to me, but in practice some construction methods seem to be more reliable than others.

If I were to rank premium bullets it would go something like this:

1. North Fork, Trophy Bonded, A-Frame, MRX
2. TSX, TTSX, E-Tip, XP3
3. Partition
4. Scirocco II, AccuBond, InterBond, Cor-Lokt Ultra Bond
5. X and XLC, FailSafe

I have no experience with the TTSX (its not even available yet), the E-Tip or the XP3. These bullets were classified based on general construction. Properly tempered they ***should*** be good.

Grand Slams never quite made it into the �premium� category in my mind, even though I used them for a couple decades. I always considered them more of a �semi-premium�.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I will ride along with Coyote Hunter in his definition and classification of the premiums.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with Coyote Hunter as far as big game bullets go but wouldn't the plastic tip quick disintegrating bullets such as BlitzKIng/Amax type bullets be premium varmint bullets? The makers certainly charge a premium for them.

Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A premium bullet is any bullet that comes less than a hundred to a box or costs more than four bits a piece.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
While I agree basically with my friend Coyote Hunter, let me add two thoughts:

(1) To paraphrase Whelen: "Only accurate bullets are interesting." (At least beyond 50 yards)
(2) A "premium" bullet is only premium when used on the game it was manufactured for or placed in such a manner as to replicate this purpose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
I am a posting MACHINE! Jump back, scared my bad self! (any old James Brown fans out there?)

Anyway as the Cult of Nosler thread winds and wends it's way it seems to me that there is a lack of agreement over what a premium bullet even IS, or does.

-jeff

As to a "premium" hunting bullet, here are my thoughts:

Any bullet that uses specialized materials and/or specialized construction techniques by design to eliminate, limit or control bullet expansion during terminal performance, beyond that of standard cup and core, when used for specific hunting situations and/or on specific game animals. Such specialized bullets are "premium bullets".

As a result of such limited production, specialized materials and/or specialized construction over standard cup and core design, such specialized bullets often are at a �premium� price.

I think this is a fair working definition.

btw; the real estate market must be slow in your neck of the woods to have so much free time.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I knew the Great Spirit of Sierra would finally wear you down....

JB

Grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Anything that performs better (holds together better, penetrates deeper) than the Hornady Interlock is a premium in my book. Interlocks are the baseline where good bullets begin.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was thinking small boxes and $1 each or more...jim wink

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything I pick is Premium. Anything different that anyone else picks is sub-Premium. smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
my definition:

some bullet that is really expensive that will kill deer just a dead as one that is less expensive.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Below an Interbond is common, but more than enough for antelope and deer.
Above the Interbond is premium and sometimes not the best for antelope and deer.
The Internond is the bridge between the two, sort of a poor man's premium.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 10,026 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,401
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.