-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
treeratkiller, just because you have never experienced a dog problem, does not mean others haven't. It likely means people near where you live don't drop off dogs that you later have to deal with, at least to any great degree. <BR>The guy I've been hunting with since the 60's, bought an isolated farm about 20 years ago. His house, and an abandoned one a quarter mile away, were the only two dwellings on that road. He soon began having a problem with several large dogs raiding his trash cans. After a few months, and checking with his nearest neighbor, he realized this was a pack of 8 to 10 dogs that roamed at will. They had killed some chickens at another place about a halfmile away. The lads that farmed the land belonging to the abandoned-house place, finally spotted the dogs coming out of the basement one evening, (local teens used to break into the house often, owner couldn't keep it boarded up). <BR>After these dogs attacked my buddy's wife as she came onto the porch. The police advised my buddy to "take care of the problem discreetly", after he told them he was a hunter and a fairly good shot. Case closed.<BR>Jackasses that drop off unwanted dogs and cats should be neutered, as well as the pets.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

G
G
treeratkiller:<BR> A responsible cat owner or dog owner keeps<BR>their animal up, or under control. In some<BR>eastern states they will come and get your dog if sighted even tracking deer. Cats kill<BR>way over a million birds and small animals a<BR>year according to last years statistics.<BR> I have rehabbed small animals,hawks etc.for<BR>thirty years and bet 30 or forty percent of<BR>what is brought to me is due to cat bite.(even a puncture is fatal in three days to a<BR>squirrel without antibiotics). I love hunting<BR>but really have a thing for the animals and don't like to see anything suffer.<BR> Greybeard

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
<BR>Hey guys<P>I'm not trying to say your wrong . Just trying to look at it in a different light .<P>First off yes , a responsible pet owner will "should" keep his/her pet at home ware it belongs , but what if the dog , or cat get get lose ? What if you are out hunting , and your dog gets to far away ? Dose this make it ok for someone to shoot it ?<P>Next , you are right . It is a problem I have never experienced . There for I have no right to tell you guys what to do . I do however have the right to say what I think , and feel the way I like . I don't care if I get flamed from here to Sunday ...... It's just what I think . No one said you had to abide by MY rules .<P>Every one has this big speech about how dogs , and cats kill all these animals each year , but how many do we hunters kill ?<BR>I fail to see why we have such a double standard ? Varmint hunter shoot millions of p/dogs , ground squirrels , and coyote every year , and we only have a few wackos from the animal rights groups wanting to shoot us on sight (LOL) [Linked Image]<P>I know that we hunter follow the rules , and laws when it comes to hunting (most of us) , and animals do not , but it is still no reason to shoot every last dog , and cat on sight before you know if they are friend , or foe .<P>By no means do I think we should let abandon animals run wild , and kill every thing .<BR>I just think every one should take a min. before they pull the trigger on old rover .<BR>Think how they would feel if it were there dog , or better yet think how your kids would feel (if you don't have kids think of another loved one) if it was there dog that got shot . Maybe watch him for a while , see what he is up to . Talk to the people that live around you , and see if it is there dog (or cat). Tell them what "just about" happened to the animal , and tell them to keep better track of the animal from now on .<P>Cats are really in a different category than dogs . They DO cause problems around my area (some times) . I never had a problem with them on the farm . They kept the mice away , but after moving into town they give me a head ake all the time . They do not kill the birds (I'm sure they do , but I don't see them) , the S.O.B's will not stay out of my garbage ! I pick up garbage every week they they have dragged from one end of my lawn to another . I DO plan to take care of it , but I am not going to shoot first , and ask questions latter . I have talked to just about ever one in my area , and asked them if it was there cat , and no one seems to claim the cats . I still have a few people to talk to before I do any thing to the cats , but I don't expect that any one owns them .<P>I guess I got a little off track here , and I'm sorry for that. (my finger take over at the computer)<P>I'm coyote hunting tonight , so I gotta get stuff ready .<P>As for me I will not reply to this topic any more (to try to change your mind any way) . I have said my peace , and have heard yours . I know we will never agree on this , so why waist time ?<P>Good hunting !<P>Regards: treeratkiller<P><BR>

T
T
I don't post much, but I had to jump in.<P>And thank everybody.<P>Handling of strays touches a lot of deeply held beliefs. And unlike every other computer discussion board I have ever seen, the people here put forth their arguments in a climate of mutual respect. The thread stayed civil and on topic.<P>Thankyou Again,<P>Tree

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen, <BR> I appreciate your interest and responses. I to am impressed with the civilized nature with which we addressed a contentous issue. Thank you, Matt in Virginia.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.