Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I having been reloading ammo for 25 plus years, all for bolt action guns. Recently got a 6.5 creedmoor in the ar platform. Is there anything different or any thing to watch out for when loading this as compared to bolt guns?

Thanks

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Quality FL die set. Redding or Forster

Try backing the die off a bit to see if they chamber okay. Brass lasts far longer.

Keep OAL at factory.

Very pleasant cartridge in an AR-10.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’d recommend trimming the brass to the minimum. I had a 308 Rock River. I didn’t have to use small base dies, but I tried a couple I had loaded for a bolt. One or two wouldn’t chamber, because brass was too long. I finally sold it, too heavy.

I loaded 500 pieces of Speer once fired brass for a 223 AR. I learned the hard way to check length of brass on AR loads too. The were fine in a bolt gun

That’s my 2 cents.

Good luck, good shooting

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deputy30
I having been reloading ammo for 25 plus years, all for bolt action guns. Recently got a 6.5 creedmoor in the ar platform. Is there anything different or any thing to watch out for when loading this as compared to bolt guns?

Thanks

Same same deputy. No special tools or dies required. An off the shelf RCBS FL die set works just fine. If a guy can prove to me he gets better accuracy using a fancy expensive die set for an AR10 6.5CM, he better speak up now or I'll call bullcheidt. I use the same die for loading both bolt guns and my AR10... Its always a good idea to check to see where your lands are with the bullets you are loading. If you can load to max mag length with good function, that's where I'd run them. I've checked mine and am safe to load to max mag length.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NYNY

Try backing the die off a bit to see if they chamber okay. Brass lasts far longer.

Keep OAL at factory.

Question of the day: How accurate are your loads with those expensive die sets?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Keep OAL at factory.

For me, the big benefit of Forster dies is runout goes away.....
IME they make the straightest ammo.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Keep OAL at factory.

That is great. I get less than .002" TIR on my loaded ammo. A lot of that is in how you set up your dies. I'm often surprised when I check run-out and it flickers to .0005-.001". Less than .001" is pretty damn good for an off the shelf die set. Also, as we know a lot of guys aren't loading their AR's for precision. They are happy enough getting torso sized groups at 50 yards.. At least that seems to be the consensus lately.. Also, you should let NYNY post up some groups from those fancy expensive dies he uses for his AR10 6.5cm. I like looking at pictures... I could also tell you a story about a guy at the clubs range yesterday shooting a fancy Christensen Arms 7mm rem mag. He is a newbie hand loader and says, "it is a must to use neck sizing dies for precision shooting" and he only uses forster and redding dies. I casually invited him to our next centerfire shoot, being a new member, I think he's going to get a good education...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Keep OAL at factory.

That is great. I get less than .002" TIR on my loaded ammo. A lot of that is in how you set up your dies. I'm often surprised when I check run-out and it flickers to .0005-.001". Less than .001" is pretty damn good for an off the shelf die set. Also, as we know a lot of guys aren't loading their AR's for precision. They are happy enough getting torso sized groups at 50 yards.. At least that seems to be the consensus lately.. Also, you should let NYNY post up some groups from those fancy expensive groups in his AR10 6.5cm. I like looking at pictures...

You and I are in the same ballpark for runout. I have non-competition Redding dies that produce .005-.008 runout. RCBS is typically in the .002 to .005 range, and the Forster's producing less that .002, and that .005 to .001 range being pretty common.

Sure you can do it with other dies and die combinations, but it's the simplest way I've found to mitigate runout.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Keep OAL at factory.

Minimal TIR is always a good thing. Most of us know that. Some here don't realize they can attain it with a run of the mill RCBS die set you can find at most any sporting goods store. I'll be the first to admit I like very little TIR. Even in my big guns:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If my dies aren't producing less than .003" TIR, something is wrong..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the replies.

As far as dies go, I'm using Lee because that's all I could get my hands on in this crazy world.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Keep OAL at factory.

Minimal TIR is always a good thing. Most of us know that. Some here don't realize they can attain it with a run of the mill RCBS die set you can find at most any sporting goods store. I'll be the first to admit I like very little TIR. Even in my big guns:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If my dies aren't producing less than .003" TIR, something is wrong..

Yep.

When I started measuring runout one of my biggest surprised was just how good the old RCBS dies are in that department.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deputy30

Thanks

Same same deputy. No special tools or dies required. An off the shelf RCBS FL die set works just fine. If a guy can prove to me he gets better accuracy using a fancy expensive die set for an AR10 6.5CM, he better speak up now or I'll call bullcheidt. I use the same die for loading both bolt guns and my AR10... Its always a good idea to check to see where your lands are with the bullets you are loading. If you can load to max mag length with good function, that's where I'd run them. I've checked mine and am safe to load to max mag length.

Uh oh nyny better be posting pictures time now!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Hornady dies are fine ---- as long as the GD spring clips stay in place and the decapping rod doesn't leave the die stuck in the case. (Like Lee)

Redding and Forster accomplish the same results with no "tricks".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 38 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.