Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
10-4. Opinions and elbows I guess. All good.

The way life should be.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by bluefish
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

The Tikka action is used in quite a number of PRS builds. It is the alternative to a custom action.

I've got two customs builds on Tikka actions. The smith didn't even have to true it up, it was straight from the factory.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Lots of people whine and cry about Tikka's "small" ejection port, but it's one huge reason Tikka actions are so stiff, strong, and accurate.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Pints: Sounds like this is just a fun theoretical discussion, corrrect? Or are you actually going to purchase one or the other? If so, do you have any personal experience with CRF model 70s at all?

I happen to own both styles but this conversation was between several friends so we himmed & hawed about what two rifles. If it were me alone I’d have asked about the Rem 700 vs T3x but that wasn’t our conversation.

It’s interesting to discover the tension that exists between the M70 & T3x in the comments is the same that I experience as I explore buying a new rifle.

Like JWall I have both & like both but they occupy different spaces.

Interesting, When on the search for my go anywhere "PBGR" I choose the Tikka because it eliminated the nits I had with the Rem 700.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It a'int the extractors it's the triggers.

The so called "cassette" triggers will pack up quickly in salt air or fine sand conditions.

That is what makes the older M70s so reliable. The BEST single stage trigger ever put in a sporting rifle. The only one more reliable is the Mauser 2 stage.

IMO all the problems with the Walker trigger can be traced to crud in it.

As for two stage: If it works in the trenches of WW One it will work in any hunting application.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by bluefish
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

The Tikka action is used in quite a number of PRS builds. It is the alternative to a custom action.

I've got two customs builds on Tikka actions. The smith didn't even have to true it up, it was straight from the factory.

Well there's two we now know of!

The way life should be.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by NYNY
Love my CRF 70s BUT I have yet ti see ANY documented case of a hunter being killed due to a push feed rifle failing.

We won WW II with a "push feed semi-auto". just sayin'

Nor have I seen ANY documented case of a hunter not being successful in the field, due to using a push feed rifle. RJ

With the controlled round action you can just open the bolt just right and push the round back into the magazine straight down when you need to get in the truck. Can't do that with a push feed.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I cannot imagine anything more important.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I cannot imagine anything more important.

Just easier and faster, no chance of dropping a cartridge in the snow. I am glad you imagination is so limited.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did it with PF 70’s and 700’s for years. I must be amazing.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 16bore

And you are! Did you have jack one out into your hand opening the action and then put it back in the magazine and close the bolt holding the top round down so the bolt wouldn't catch the rim? Were you wearing gloves? CRF actions are far easier to do the same thing with.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by 16bore

And you are! Did you have jack one out into your hand opening the action and then put it back in the magazine and close the bolt holding the top round down so the bolt wouldn't catch the rim? Were you wearing gloves? CRF actions are far easier to do the same thing with.

wut?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
one in the tube, mag box full.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Tikka is the Toyota Camry of rifles, and I mean that in a good way. That said, I've sold my Tikkas - I want to like the guns I own and just never liked them. I would grab a model 70 in a heartbeat if the right opportunity presented itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300 Weatherby would be my choice

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I must be unusual. I have and love model 70’s and tikkas. Love and use both. I have sold everything else.

All I have is tikka for push feeds. Models 70’s only like pre 64’s and stainless classics.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Thnx Pint.

I didn’t say Half Pint. grin

Jerry

Haha some days I feel like a half pint short.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Starbuck
If anyone is interested in empirical data to substantiate or form thier opinion on this subject, you can do a search for the testing process the Canadian Rangers used to select their current duty rifle.

The cliff notes version is that they put most currently available bolt actions through rigorous testing in harsh conditions to test for reliability and accuracy. Tens of thousands of rounds, worst conditions possible. The results might surprise some.

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic

Interesting!

That's mostly a non-argument. No mention is made of what rifles the Tikka was tested against, and I'm doubtful they tested against the older M70 w/ crf and open trigger design. And I also doubt they tested the even simpler and more rugged Ruger 77 MKII/Hawkeye. I'd take either of those over a Tikka with its removeable magazine in cold, snowy conditions. I'd bet a removable magazine was part of the military's criteria. And of course, military weapon choices are notoriously political.

I have nothing against the T3, and in fact when a guy (or gal) new to Montana asks me what rifle to buy for elk hunting I tell them to get a Tikka T3 in 270 Win. Mount a Burris 3-9 with dots on top in Talley Lwt rings, add a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and you're off to the races.

But for me I throw up a bit in my mouth around the Tikka. For a lightweight I'd always rather pack a Kimber MT, and for a midweight I'd rather use an M70.

But the Tikka does it all right off the shelf with no dicking around...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Tikka's are great rifles, but I wouldnt put to much stock in what the Canadian Rangers use or their testing. If you lived here you would know why.
In any event their first choice wasnt the Tikka, it was the Ruger Gunsite scout, but they couldnt get them at the price they wanted so went with the Tikka, and got soaked. A good friend did some research and wrote an article on it and if my memory is correct they paid over 3k per rifle.

I have Tikka's, and they are fine guns, but as far as reliability goes, the Winchester/ Ruger wins hands down.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by rj308
Love my CRF 70s BUT I have yet ti see ANY documented case of a hunter being killed due to a push feed rifle failing.

We won WW II with a "push feed semi-auto". just sayin'

Nor have I seen ANY documented case of a hunter not being successful in the field, due to using a push feed rifle. RJ

I have. A few times actually. On expensive hunts too. Most of the failures I've seen were with Remington 700s. The hunters ended up being successful, but only because they used my rifle.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.