Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I love both the win 70 action(or Kimber) and tikkas. They are my top preference out of all the actions. I do prefer the 3 position safety on the win/Kimber, and CRF. And bolt lock on all of them is actually a huge win in my book. But it’s hard to beat tikka for out of the box, no dicking around, all purpose hunting rifle. And my thinking is identical to Brads when it comes to recommend a set up for new hunters. Tikka just plain shoot. Despite having several Winchester and tikkas, I just always seem to grab the tikka when it comes down to it. My experience is they generally shoot just a bit better than the winnies I have, and that alone just gives me a bit more confidence. But, I having Shawn build me a kimber 280ai fast twist right now, and am gathering parts for a tikka 284 win.....so you can tell I still can’t make up my mind!

HR IC

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Starbuck
If anyone is interested in empirical data to substantiate or form thier opinion on this subject, you can do a search for the testing process the Canadian Rangers used to select their current duty rifle.

The cliff notes version is that they put most currently available bolt actions through rigorous testing in harsh conditions to test for reliability and accuracy. Tens of thousands of rounds, worst conditions possible. The results might surprise some.

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic

Interesting!

That's mostly a non-argument. No mention is made of what rifles the Tikka was tested against, and I'm doubtful they tested against the older M70 w/ crf and open trigger design. And I also doubt they tested the even simpler and more rugged Ruger 77 MKII/Hawkeye. I'd take either of those over a Tikka with its removeable magazine in cold, snowy conditions. I'd bet a removable magazine was part of the military's criteria. And of course, military weapon choices are notoriously political.

I have nothing against the T3, and in fact when a guy (or gal) new to Montana asks me what rifle to buy for elk hunting I tell them to get a Tikka T3 in 270 Win. Mount a Burris 3-9 with dots on top in Talley Lwt rings, add a Butler Creek Mountain Sling and you're off to the races.

But for me I throw up a bit in my mouth around the Tikka. For a lightweight I'd always rather pack a Kimber MT, and for a midweight I'd rather use an M70.

But the Tikka does it all right off the shelf with no dicking around...

Well said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve never had to “find” a load for any Tikka I’ve ever had. They’re bullet whores.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Carrying a Tikka from Alaska to New Mexico, the only thing I had to "find" was my tag to notch it. Having said that, I still prefer 70's and Kimber.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’ve never had to “find” a load for any Tikka I’ve ever had. They’re bullet whores.

I have a T3X in 6.5CM and same experience. It seems to shoot everything well and surprisingly with very little shift in impact, although I believe all the loads I've tried were all Hornady.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore

That's for sure, I have a T3x. It's a 7-08 Shoots everything really well.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd go with the model 70.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,593
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.