Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The one I had liked the 140 grain Hornady interlock the best. I used it to take one whitetail buck then sold it to a friend.

Last edited by PHWILLIE; 06/19/20.
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I was eyeing one of these . They are nice looking.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Friend has two of them, cause he shot the barrel out of the first one. Loves them. I picked one up in the .275 Rigby...my favorite ( and now only..) big game rifle.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Friend has two of them, cause he shot the barrel out of the first one. Loves them. I picked one up in the .275 Rigby...my favorite ( and now only..) big game rifle.

I’m so terribly sorry for your loss.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
By my standards, mine has been great out of the box. It is pretty light and shoots great for a factory. Best point is it comes with good sights and a good base.

Mine shoots in the 9’s! Pretty good without bedding or anything other than basic load work.

Any specific questions or pic requests?

Shooting 140 gr Accubonds.

I wonder if that flyer was the 4th or 5th shot as it heated up? Thinking it may average less than .9 with 3 shot groups........

Odds are if you shot 5 shots from a cold bore each shot, they would be a bit tighter, and 90% of the time, the first is your best and often only shot.

Never had a bad shooting Swede!

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Mine shoots great, I did nothing to it.. I was shooting 140 AB out of it.

Same here, nothing done to my 416 Ruger African and shoots great.

7 lbs 12 oz with the thread protector installed. Nice and light. A much livlier feel than my old 375 Ruger Alaskan.
Recoil is stout.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by 79S
Mine shoots great, I did nothing to it.. I was shooting 140 AB out of it.

Same here, nothing done to my 416 Ruger African and shoots great.

7 lbs 12 oz with the thread protector installed. Nice and light. A much livlier feel than my old 375 Ruger Alaskan.
Recoil is stout.

Same with me. My 9.3 x 62 African shoots very well. I haven't done anything to it either. The only factory ammo I've tried is Privi Partizan 286 gr because when I bought the rifle I was able to buy five boxes for the same price 100 empty cases would have cost. It shot great as did my reloads with Privi and Speer bullets. Very nice looking and well made rifle that always gets attention at the range.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jones, they are a lotta rifle for the money. Least your 9.3 african will have a clean, thin stock, rather than the clubby, clumsy b&c stock on my cz 550 9.3xx62.

Whoever designed that hawkeye african stock, was a straight-up boss!

B
B
How long is the throat on this gun? I just got one, seating Bullets to 3.025

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boognishsb
How long is the throat on this gun? I just got one, seating Bullets to 3.025

Just measure your own throat. There are a couple different ways, none of which require special equipment. Google is your friend.
I prefer the simplest, and I have cross-checked my results with the more complicated and this comports just fine:
"Cock" the bolt, then put a flat-tipped jag in a cleaning rod and lower it into the barrel until it hits the bolt face. (hold it carefully so it never touches the crown)
Take a piece of masking tape and very precisely align it with the face of the muzzle crown and then fold it around the rod. Take the rod out of the barrel.
Remove the bolt, turn the rife muzzle down, and drop the bullet of your choice into the chamber. Take an empty, sized case, and feed it into the chamber behind the bullet, and press it lightly just enough to get the bullet to "stick" into the lands.
Turn the rifle back muzzle up, and lower the rod back down into the bore. When you get within an inch of what you suspect the OAL is going to be, lower the rod very slowly, as the bullet is just barely stuck in the lands and any sharp force will dislodge it.
With the rod resting on the bullet tip, place another piece of masking tape around your rod in the identical manner you did the first one. Then give the rod a gentle tap to knock out he bullet.
Take your caliper and measure the precise difference between the leading edges of these two pieces of tape. That's your max OAL for that bullet.
Then tear off that second piece of tape, and repeat with every other bullet you want to know the max OAL for, using the same reference off the original piece of tape.
Works like a charm, if you are careful.

Best of luck and enjoy your fine new rifle,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 05/05/21.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also posted this in the optic forums. It's not an African, but it is a 6.55 Swede.

I had not shot this one in 2 years. I will be hunting a Roe deer buck starting Monday so I took it to the field yesterday to see if that damned old Leupold VX-3 1-5 was still zeroed. I fired only 3 shots at 100 yards. Load is factory RWS 6.5x55 SE DK Twin Core (similar to Nosler Partitions). Center to center for the 3 shots is .425". I think the gun is good enough for Roe deer. RJ

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Riger 77 African in 280 AI. Lipsey 1 of 250....
I like it a lot.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Had one in .275 Rigby. Shot a handful of pigs with it. Never could get any consistency out of it. It would shoot a group 3/4 MOA one day, then the same load would go 1.5 the next. Also it copper fouled worse than any rifle I've ever owned. Finally got tired of fooling with it and sent it down the road. My trigger was serviceable from the getgo, didnt try bedding it however. Seems most people have good luck with them. I could have just gotten a lemon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We thank you for unloading that lemon here on the Fire!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BobBrown

How do you have 6400 posts in 11 months? You gotta be one bored dude.

I did in fact unload it here on the fire. The gun didn't shoot the way I felt that it should have. BFD. Mechanically the gun was fine, cosmetically there wasn't a mark on it. Please tell me again how me selling a rifle bothered you?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ky221

I did in fact unload it here on the fire. The gun didn't shoot the way I felt that it should have. BFD. Mechanically the gun was fine, cosmetically there wasn't a mark on it. Please tell me again how me selling a rifle bothered you?

Class act....

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Class act....

When it was disclosed to the buyer, and when the price reflected that. You better believe it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There's a African in 6.5x55 on Guns International

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rj308
I also posted this in the optic forums. It's not an African, but it is a 6.55 Swede.

I had not shot this one in 2 years. I will be hunting a Roe deer buck starting Monday so I took it to the field yesterday to see if that damned old Leupold VX-3 1-5 was still zeroed. I fired only 3 shots at 100 yards. Load is factory RWS 6.5x55 SE DK Twin Core (similar to Nosler Partitions). Center to center for the 3 shots is .425". I think the gun is good enough for Roe deer. RJ

Seriously sweet!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Could it be that Bob Brown is his Pseudonym for Big Stick ?

I’ve been debating that between “Brown” and “NYNY”

Same Same.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.