Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allen:

I very much appreciate your post. I have read it once, and will read it carefully again and contemplate.

Please note: Many of the sentiments behind the origination of the CATC were what inspired me to create it years ago. It didn't just appear from out of the ether.

Also, some of you must understand the behind-the-scenes angst and inner turmoil much of the content of CATC caused me ... again, for years.

I did not come to this decision lightly.

1] Anyone who has interpreted my actions as a personal or denominational slight is adding their own slant to the issue. The fact remains that I nuked CATC because I was tired of the anti-Catholicism. End of story.

If some of you feel that that is an arbitrary or capricious indulgement on my part, then I truly apologize.

Again: I will not sponsor anti-Catholic bigotry on a forum on which I have the power to avoid it. I'm not talking one post, or one thread. I'm talking years of pervasive anti-Catholicism. I challenge anybody here to have refrained from interceding for almost three years were their own denomination pervasively maligned.

2] This is a hunting and shooting forum, and Jesus has blessed it. If some of you knew the background and the road that led me to create 24hourcampfire in 1999 and 2000, you'd undoubtedly agree. That is the primary reason I created CATC ... to allow Christians of ALL denominations to fellowship.

Unfortunately, that is not what panned out. As the [bleep] now swirling demonstrate, and as I finally accepted, an interdenominational open forum is a flame war waiting to happen.

You have all seen what types of flames accompany caliber discussions and optics discussions, etc. As irrational as things get there, when somebody's religious beliefs are involved, things are ratcheted up to new levels.

We have three choices here:

a] Open forum. Doesn't work.

b] Moderated forum. Yeah right. See Sanlen's, (the guy who has NEVER had a post pulled, changed, or otherwise affected) gratuitous gripe about censorship, complete with borderline attacks on my character. Suuuuuure this one is viable.

c] No forum. Seems to win by elimination.

The truth is, CATC was a wonderful, inspired concept in theory.

In practice, it simply did not work.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are YOU?

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...oc_20070629_responsa-quaestiones_en.html

"The Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, ratified and confirmed these Responses, adopted in the Plenary Session of the Congregation, and ordered their publication.

Rome, from the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, June 29, 2007, the Solemnity of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul."

Yes, I am.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Penguin
Boss Hoss:

Have you lost your mind?

Are you honestly trying to start a **** throwing argument? You could have stated everything in your post without insulting one single person.... instead you chose to make your opinions known in a way that was calculated to cause hard feelings.

No wonder Rick shut that place down.

Will

Will, it is not only the catholic church, most of them have at one time or other harboured these creatures,
James.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Truth hurts don't it!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Catholic school 2nd ---- 10th grade Our Lady of Victory and Nolan High School in Ft Worth and this happened to someone I knew! Found out about it 30 years later and NOTHING was ever said about it back then.

Go pee on someone elses leg. The truth is the truth and if you think that the Pope was not aware of these things then you are ignorant.

I am only taking issue with the "Management" not the "Workers" so to speak!!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree James. Even on so egregious an issue there are plenty of guilty parties. But his post was intentionally worded to not only implicate the entire structure of the church but its membership as well.

Even though he knows that you would be hard pressed to find any Catholic defenders of this activity. It was a cheapshot I think.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Always liked the lineup of Joshua, Judges, Ruth... and Lyle's CD, too...

It's time for dinner. Now, let's go eat. wink

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This place had a religion forum? Really? Huh. Imagine that.

Never went there. Don't care if it's gone. I come here to talk shooting and reloading, and that's all. I belong to other boards. One of my other four shooting boards does have a religion forum - one with few posts, but I couldn't tell you if they were friendly because I wouldn't go there, either. One of my other talk boards is dedicated to Vietnam vets, another to geocaching; neither one feels any need to have religion sections.

If a religion talk board turns your crank (or lights your martyrdom fire), by all means start one.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I suspect that he did not mean to cause anguish, he certainly went to great pains to point out that he was not trying to offend.
James.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jezz man are you that hard headed-------use common sense here! It happened to a person I went to school with and never even knew what was going on. If this had been a janitor at school then Front Page News. It was completely glossed over and nobody was ever brought to justice.

I did not post at the CATC --- this is one reason. To this day I cannot rationalize it out in my mind!!

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 08/14/07.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Violator22
[Linked Image]

Y'all, ah jus bet ah c'n make it deader. grin

Ps, There is no way in hell my spell checker would even touch that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hey RickyD, never did tell you, but I've appreciated your posts in CATC.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with Boss Hoss-
The fact that the church turned a blind eye to what was happening for so many years is deplorable.
I think all of that is in the process of changing now, but the pedophiles and perverts should have been excluded years ago.
I still attend the Catholic church, but I certainly struggle with all that has happened-It still bothers me that it happened at all.
I think the thing to remember is that churches are made up of sinners-that is people who are weak and prone to make many mistakes.
I don't ever see that changing.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Excluded.....I would have thought a slow knife over a number of days would have been more apt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boss:

If I didn't think you were intelligent enough to know better, I would put aside your comments as the product of an obtuse mind that could not grasp semi-obvious distinctions.

But since I know better, it only stands to reason that your comments are intended to throw gasoline on the fire.

Pedophilia? Abhorrent, repulsive, and I join everyone in hoping that the bastards fry.

Nobody is going to defend that.

But that is not "Catholicism."

And you know it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hey RickyD, never did tell you, but I've appreciated your posts in CATC.

Me too .... two others whos posts I have especially enjoyed include Micky Coleman's and Penny's....although the later two used the general forum more...

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah fer cryin out loud, quit bashing catholics, I am one, and a proud one, fer crap sake, this isn't My Religion is better than your religion, It is the Bullschitt like this that kept me away for CATC. You all especially the better than thou group are acting like effin' children. And if you can't get that thru your thick skulls, your not acting very christian like at all. Les

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rick, you are quite right, it is not Catholicism, it is not even anything approaching human, and I am not confining my criticism to the Catholic church, I am including every denomination that have allowed this abominable practise to flourish.
Unfortunately keeping quite about it is what has allowed the problem to become as rife as it is.
James.

Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,592
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.