-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's 1946, winter. The allied invasion of Russia has bogged down. The partisans are cutting supply lines, the Euro allies realize they are tired and weak from war and they go home. The Soviets detonate an atom bomb (atom spies). The Americans say that it was crude and inefficient, but admit that it was an atom bomb. The US Civil Defense public information apparat is not yet in full swing so the American people don’t know that they will be safe from atomic attack if they just get under their desks. They say nyet to the war and American forces begin pulling out of the Rodina.

Last edited by 5thShock; 05/06/21. Reason: comma

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Actually, I do not think it would have taken till the winter of '46.

The entire world was sick and tired of war. Especially the Brits who had borne the brunt of Hitler's anger.

The US had put up with her sons and lovers lost to war for the cause of beating those dirty Japs. My Dad still spoke 60 years later of government betrayal as the recruiting posters asked for men to avenge Pearl Harbor, and then sent the recruits to Europe.

The US was sick and tired of rations. America was sick and tired of Mom working at the factory instead of home cooking meals and sewing shirts. (look how that turned out thirty years later) America was sick of war widows and single mothers with no prospect of finding a suitable mate. 40 years later I heard my Aunts still complaining that the only men around were 4Fers.

Despite the cries from those who knew exactly what Stalin was and wanted him gone, America's leaders made the choice to bring home our boys. I think because there was no other choice at the time.

What would you do, rearm Germany and use them to continue the fight against Russia? Sure, that would fly.

Turn the Chinese loose against Russia in the East while America attacks from the West? Then the Evil Chinese Empire would gain all the territory and mineral wealth of Siberia and all the rest of Russia they could conquer. That is not a good choice either.

No, the world had been at war for most of thirty years. The world had experienced "Total War" for the first time in history. The world had witnessed the devastation of fire bombing campaigns, and had witnessed Atom Bombs.

The World including America was done with war.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ditto.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
correct; if we invaded russia. there are geographical challenges to vast to overcome. just pin the russian army. remove their supply lines and wait.

btw, the russians were caught without the riflemen they needed just like the germans were. you can only do human wave offensives for so long and even the russians run out of humans.

Last edited by wahoo; 05/07/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Sheesh,

We would have cut - off the Spam ....

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Our air force would have decimated the russians.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Allies had nuclear weaponry and George Patton. The russians had Joseph Stalin who was perfectly willing to sacrifice every able bodied russian to win. It's kind of a toss up.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by viking

Air forces have never won by themselves. You still have to have men on the ground. IdahoShooter has it right. Everyone was sick of war.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Russians were pretty exhausted at the end of the war and about tapped out. Of course, we were too in lots of ways. If the war had started almost immediately we would have probably “won” as long as the goal was to simply get them out of Europe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bugs4
The Allies had nuclear weaponry and George Patton. The russians had Joseph Stalin who was perfectly willing to sacrifice every able bodied russian to win. It's kind of a toss up.

And George was perfectly willing to help Stalin with his sacrifices.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GunGeek
]Two weeks my arse...Patton was a blowhard about such stuff. Without nukes (and we wouldn't have had more than 3 or 4 in '45), it would have been years, not weeks. It would have been another long war of attrition. Would have been an immeasurably irresponsible thing to do after a 6 year world war.

Patton proved himself correct on many occasions.

Always to the dismay of the naysayers that thought they knew more than he did.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
At the very least, we should have pushed the Russkies back out of Eastern Europe, the Baltic states and East Prussia.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Patton proved himself correct on many occasions."

The Russians were as scared of him as the Germans were. That's why they killed him, nicht wahr?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by JeffyD
At the very least, we should have pushed the Russkies back out of Eastern Europe, the Baltic states and East Prussia.
The problem with that is that there really aren't any strong defensive land features in the Baltics or East Prussia. The longer our supply lines get, the shorter theirs do.

Last edited by UPhiker; 05/07/21.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 5thShock
"Patton proved himself correct on many occasions."

The Russians were as scared of him as the Germans were. That's why they killed him, nicht wahr?
Yeah, they were so scared of him that they just surrendered en masse. Oh wait, they didn't.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If we ended up fighting the Soviets, the Eastern Europeans would have had underground forces in Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Poland etc that would have helped cut their supply lines or given us information. Cutting off Russian supplies and material would have made all the Russians foot soldiers. Then in early 46 we could have nuked Moscow. Our air force was better and could have wiped their air force from the skys and Strategic Bombing could occur. Turkey entered the war on the allies side late and bombing runs could have been made from Turkish bases. Turkey would have invaded Southern Russia. Russia may have persued a compromise and pulled back to their territory and left the Eastern European countries alone for the west to move in. Once a couple of nukes were dropped, game over for Russia.

This in turn would not have allowed Russia to supply the communist Chinese with the ability to take over China with supplies from Russia. Communism contained only left in Russia.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NYNY
we had nukes ---- end of story.

Yes, but not many. As it was in 1945, it took a month to build one. We did not have another ready to go immediately after Nagasaki.

As discussed in the video, a 20 kt bomb was survivable if you had any cover outside a couple of kilometers. Less if you were in armor. We did not have bombers with enough range to reach production areas east of the Urals.

I agree with the conclusion in the video. Allies could have pushed through Poland, taken out a lot of troops, but the USSR was too big to occupy and Stalin would fight to the last man.

It would have been nasty.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking

if you include nukes, then yeah, otherwise forget it

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nollij
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
[q

The T-34-85 was the best tank in the world at the end of the war.

that is your opinion. The Panther V and King Tiger were both superior. I do agree with you, no way the Allies could win had the war started in April-May 45

On paper, the Panther was. King Tiger, debatable.

Both were horribly unreliable and unnecessarily complicated. It also took thousands more man hours to build one than it did a T-34-85. It also took several times more man hours in the field to keep one running. Furhtermore, the King Tiger was too heavy to cross most of the rural bridges in France and Belgium, where it was primarily deployed.

What good is having the greatest weapon in the world if it can't be deployed?

Great topic. Below is just my take.

Fuel consumption in the German tanks was a bit of an issue as well. I believe fuel would have been a deciding factor had we decided to push East in 1945. We knew in 1945 we only had to make it to Berlin. Pushing further East would have thrown numerous unknowns at the Allies from way too many angles.

It's laughable in todays context, but I don't think the US was exactly flush with cash to continue prosecuting the war in 1945. Money would have been another deciding factor. There are many, many angles to look at when this question comes up, but the first thing I always think of in the Soviets arsenal is the T-34. The commies could spit them out one after another. No shortage of human fodder either, and a madman willing to wipe out as many as it took to stay in power.

One of Hitler's worst vanity driven strategic errors was Stalingrad.
The push that became tied up in the battle for Stalingrad was intended to secure the oil production capacity of the Caucasus. He could have encircled and bypassed the city...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Watched the 3-part special called Berlin 1945 on Prime last night. Learned some things I hadn't known. One of which was, the Russians did not let anybody into Berlin for some time before splitting up Germany..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.