Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: chesterwy] #16044310 04/30/21
chlinstructor Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Last manual I had was a 98 Chevy half ton extended cab. It was a pickup that someone had custom ordered. Between the five speed, flow master exhaust, and smaller 5.0 (305) vortec engine. That thing got the best fuel mileage I’ve seen out of a full size pickup. Usually around 20 MPG.

Dad’s last farm truck he bought that I mentioned earlier in this thread is a 92 Chevy 2500 with the 350 and manual 5-speed gets 16 mpg. And it’s got 350K miles on it now.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/30/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: BillyGoatGruff] #16044389 04/30/21
K
K1500 Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
K
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by K1500
Most A/T’s in trucks can be started in 2 in low traction conditions (lookup first gear lockout). In addition, the TC/stability control can be turned off with a button when needed. I’m guessing they saved quite a few wrecks over the years. Many even have throttle mapping settings that can remap the throttle settings when off road or in low traction situations. The Luddite in me likes driving sticks, but they don’t really give an advantage over most newer autos.

Bullshidt. They don't turn off. They do lessen, but the ones I've driven never turn off. I'm sure they are neat and help folks who can't drive. I'd like the option to not have it.

It's like having a semi-auto pistol with a safety that automatically engages every time you pull the trigger. "you can just turn it off"

With most systems is will at least partially reengage when speed exceeds a certain value. If you really want it off you can pull the fuse or even better, run the circuit through a simple toggle switch on your dash. Flip a switch and it’s totally off. I’ve never noticed it to be an issue by simply turning it off with the built in button, but maybe I don’t know what I’m missing.

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: K1500] #16045805 05/01/21
T
TheKid Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Most A/T’s in trucks can be started in 2 in low traction conditions (lookup first gear lockout). In addition, the TC/stability control can be turned off with a button when needed. I’m guessing they saved quite a few wrecks over the years. Many even have throttle mapping settings that can remap the throttle settings when off road or in low traction situations. The Luddite in me likes driving sticks, but they don’t really give an advantage over most newer autos.

Bullshidt. They don't turn off. They do lessen, but the ones I've driven never turn off. I'm sure they are neat and help folks who can't drive. I'd like the option to not have it.

It's like having a semi-auto pistol with a safety that automatically engages every time you pull the trigger. "you can just turn it off"

With most systems is will at least partially reengage when speed exceeds a certain value. If you really want it off you can pull the fuse or even better, run the circuit through a simple toggle switch on your dash. Flip a switch and it’s totally off. I’ve never noticed it to be an issue by simply turning it off with the built in button, but maybe I don’t know what I’m missing.

I’m with Gruff on this one. I explained it to a guy at work like this the other day. If I want to drive across a terrace in the pasture and there’s mud on the backside I have to lock out the T/C to allow some wheel spin to clean the tread and push me through. A push of the button “turns it off” until you slide sideways just a little because you’re cutting across on an angle, then the stupid stability control cuts the fuel and you’re stuck. When my warranty runs out I’m seriously looking at a custom tune to turn the traction control off permanently. It’s my only complaint with my truck and I hate it.

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: 3584ELK] #16045818 05/01/21
K
K1500 Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
K
You push once to turn off TC. You push and hold for 3 seconds or so to turn off both TC and Stabilittack. With both off, my truck will let me get as stupid as I want to be. Are you are sure you are turning stability control off?

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: ironbender] #16050083 05/03/21
H
horse1 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!

Put the AT in “2”.

Or in the case of the 6-spd auto in a Super-Duty, you can select manual mode and also start in 3rd..........

I drove a manual transmission'd daily driver from the time I was 14 until I was almost 30. I still have a manual 5-spd in my street-rod and it's 2nd nature/muscle-memory for me to get in and drive a manual again. That said, there's NOTHING about a manual I'd want over the automatic in my F250. In manual mode my F250 shifts faster w/the +/- buttons on the stalk than one can jam gears in a manual, especially down-shifting.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC-A

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: K1500] #16050514 05/03/21
B
BillyGoatGruff Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You push once to turn off TC. You push and hold for 3 seconds or so to turn off both TC and Stabilittack. With both off, my truck will let me get as stupid as I want to be. Are you are sure you are turning stability control off?

Lol. Yes I am quite sure.

[bleep] things should be an option. I hate a computer second guessing me. When I speak to my truck with I out from my hands and feet it should do wtf I tell it to.

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: 3584ELK] #16051031 05/03/21
K
K1500 Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
K
I understand, and my questions was actually directed at The Kid. In any event, it unfortunately is the way of the world now. I would consider wiring in a switch that cuts power to the TC/ESC module. It should be easy to do and would 100% disable it.

Last edited by K1500; 05/03/21.
Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: Cowboybart] #16063842 05/07/21
Ralphie Offline
Campfire Guide
Campfire Guide
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!

I have two toyotas with autos that will allow you to start in 2nd.

Re: Manual transmission possibilities... [Re: 3584ELK] #16064372 05/07/21
10gaugemag Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Plenty of trucks that will start in something other than 1st.

Tried starting in 3rd with about 14k on behind the F350 yesterday, quickly hit the button 2x and was rolling in short order.

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
608 registered members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,076 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.