Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I read it and I agree with him.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They have to find something to write about. If you didn't post about the author's last article and you did about this one, then you can understand why he wrote this one. How many clicks have we given it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently none of you guys can comprehend that Petzal's essentially "trolling," in the same way that often occurs on the Campfire. With magazines articles (though evidently F&S is primarily an on-line rather than paper magazine anymore--and only appears 4 times a year) this means more "eyes on the page," a phrase used in advertising that translates into the ability to charge more for ads.

You've all been trolled--and caught. Which again means more eyes on the page....
I should do an article on overrated gun writers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why wasn’t the .270 on the list? 👅

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

In the modern woke culture it's going to get you canceled for picking on retards.

GOA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Petzal’s a hoot. Love his deadpan delivery in videos.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I read both articles. I don’t think my list would differ much concerning overrated cartridges if I were to have written the same article. I disagree with a couple on the list but I understand his logic on the matter.
I do own a 9mm(or two) and one 22 WMR but only because I inherited it from my Uncle. I think improvements in the 9mm round in the last couple of decades have improved it’s lethality along with the various platforms it’s now chambered in.
As for the underrated cartridges, I couldn’t agree more. I own or have owned most of those listed and love them dearly.
Concerning Mr. Petzal, I have no opinion.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 05/08/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoyed the article and I like Petzal. He reminds me of one of my uncles who always knows what to say to get some people's jaws to drop and then he moves on. Sometimes a bit of truth hurts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I found it interesting, but came away indifferent towards it, as my personal experience with the 7mag over the past 40 years told me he's out in left field on that cartridge. Aside from that, just one man's opinion.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Petzal is an idiot.

That would be correct.

Nope. I've known Petzal very well for around 40 years, and he's very smart. He's especially smart enough to troll the average shooter--who often can't tell whether Petzal has his tongue firmly in his cheek. But that's pretty normal.

I know what I think of trolls.... Have read enough of his "work". Did not even bother to click the link when I saw the writer and magazine.

MD, You do not have to resort to trolling for readership. You are able to communicate meaningful information through written prose.

Why does Petzal have to troll? Possibly when one does not have anything substantial to say and needs to generate traffic?

Arcus Venator
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CRS, why don't you ask that question to the numerous attention whore/trolls on this board who post 50 times per day? If you wanna know what makes a troll a troll, ask a troll.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
From a logical/factual standpoint the write-up is easily assailable, but that doesn't matter given the author's intent.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Petzal is an idiot.

That would be correct.

Nope. I've known Petzal very well for around 40 years, and he's very smart. He's especially smart enough to troll the average shooter--who often can't tell whether Petzal has his tongue firmly in his cheek. But that's pretty normal.

I know what I think of trolls.... Have read enough of his "work". Did not even bother to click the link when I saw the writer and magazine.

MD, You do not have to resort to trolling for readership. You are able to communicate meaningful information through written prose.

Why does Petzal have to troll? Possibly when one does not have anything substantial to say and needs to generate traffic?

You are talking about him. He succeeded. I appreciate MDs style, but I am glad there are different flavors out there, even if I don't care for some of them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

In the modern woke culture it's going to get you canceled for picking on retards.

this made be laugh and the troll winner !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Off the top rope!

BTW "retard" is no longer the proper nomenclature. Perhaps substitute "special" or "handy-capable".
HAHAHAHA

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I guess the only best to objectively counter Petzal's list is to submit your own on this thread. I don't think he was too far off on many of his selections, and the "reasoning" was readable. Ok, how many use the 378 Weatherby??? In some ways, the entire list could be Weatherby cartridges, aside from the 300 Bee.

Make it easy and quick. Post YOUR top 3 over-rated cartridges: (no trolling allowed). We know the result a will offend others because it is subjective, but what the neck. Every cartridges has a niche ( A 45-70 can't compete with a 300 Win mag as a 400 yard elk rifle). Some cartridges just aren't popular ( you habe to be RATED to be considered OVER-RATED) .Fire away. Let's see how you do. T'aint so easy.

Top 3 overrated cartridges: (mine)
1. 357 mag. (give me a moderate-loaded 44 mag anytime)
2. 243 Win. (too big to be small, too small to be big. I'll take the man bun 6.5 CM instead)
3. 327 Mag (not really sure if it is "rated", but I don't get it none the less).

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I like Petzal. He's my kind of sarcastic curmudgeon. He also has global hunting experience from which to draw good stories and meaningful opinions. I'd love it if he had a "once upon a time" based, storry column in SA.

BTW, MD, where can I get a reamer and dies for the 7mmOBWM?

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by buttstock
I guess the only best to objectively counter Petzal' list is to submit your own on this thread.

Make it easy and quick. Your top 3 over-rated cartridges: (no trolling allowed). We know the result a will offend others because it is subjective, but what the neck. Every cartridges has a niche ( A 45-70 can't compete with a 300 Win mag as a 400 yard elk rifle). Some cartridges just aren't popular ( you habe to be RATED to be considered OVER-RATED) .Fire away. Let's we how you do.

Top 3 overrated cartridges: (mine)
1. 357 mag. (give me a moderate-loaded 44 mag anytime)
2. 243 Win. (too big to be small, too small to be big. I'll take the man bun 6.5 CM instead)
3. 327 Mag (not really sure if it is "rated", but I don't get it none the less).

You mean "6.5 Handi-capable".
Keep it above the belt guys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy Petzal and can appreciate his style. I agree with most of his list. Particularly the 7mm RM.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Be interesting to know:

1. How many of the critics have any real experience with the cartridges they crap on.
2. How many of them have actually shot man or beast with any of them.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.