Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I went to look at an interesting house on some nice whitetail property and first thing went up into the attic. The Princess stayed behind talking to the owner as I went up the ladder and walked the trusses all the way to look for issues with the roof. It had blown in insulation about 5-6" deep in between trusses @24". First thing I saw made me crack up laughing as there was a 5' snake skin at the top of the ladder,( Princess has heart failure at anything longer than an earthworm)

I knew upon seeing the first skin that this house was NEVER going to be a resting place for her highness, but hey the guy met us and it was only polite to give it a good looking over if for no other reason than to have a comp for other houses in the county...

With each step I started to get creeped out as the insulation had 2" diameter holes every 6" or so everywhere you looked and there were not dozens but perhaps HUNDREDS of skins in between every 2x6 laying on top and halfway in/out of those "snake holes" in the insulation. I am not scared of snakes BUT... this was way over the top. The smallest was maybe 4' long and the best skins were 6-7'. by the time I hit the end wall I was wanting to be anywhere but in that particular attic. I kinda high-stepped it back and was VERY happy to go back down that ladder!

Now these snakes are not going to be a problem for me as the closest I am ever going to be is in a tree stand a half mile away! What in the HOLY HELL could you do to get rid of that snake population? I have zero doubt they are down in the sidewalls as well--- the crawl space appeared to be snake free, and yes, I looked VERY carefully before going in that confining of a space.

You would'nt want to kill them as the stench would be simply unbelievable. Am I being a closet pussy and you macho guys would sleep soundly under worm bedding crawling with 6' worms???

What does a snake live trap look like? I'm envisioning about a 15' length of 4" pvc pipe with a mouse decoy in the middle and twin trap doors at both ends. I told her highness that I would love to set a game camera upon there to see just what it looks like when all is "peaceful" and they come slithering out.

And yes last night I had dreams. Snakey ugly dreams!

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Mothballs. Big freaking mothballs.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burn it down

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Burn it down

Might be the only way.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Get a mongoose.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black rat snakes ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another for mothballs lots of mothballs.

And some time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the bright side. I bet there's no mice in that place. Snakes move in.... Mice move out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If that many snakes (predators) you probably also have lots of prey like rats and mice. Sounds like a chamber of horrors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Burn it down

Yup...Lite it and burn it into its foundation.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Would it be same to assume there are very tall tree's the snakes are climbing and entering through the roof peak louvers? Cut the tree limb back after hiring an exterminator.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Look at the bright side. I bet there's no mice in that place. Snakes move in.... Mice move out.

Princess has issues with pretty much everything but dogs... I told her the same thing NO MOUSE WOULD COME NEAR US!

Buddy lives a few hours away and he assured me they were not there now, they are out hunting for the summer, they will return in the fall... Even with that we did NOT make an offer!!

I grew up with snakes have no issue with snakes ( not really) but I have never seen anything even 1/10th of this...

I'm guessing when a guy who self identifies as SLUMLORD say burn it down... well that says a lot!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
No mice?
Bullschit. That’s why they are there.

I’ll take snakes over mice, but it’s almost always a pair.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hanta virus turds, rodents and snakes.

Ohhhh and baby snakes too. 🤣😭🤦‍♂️

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A flaming arrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds to me like that would make a very good, saleable horror movie script.

Hmmmmmm. wink

Unsuspecting city couple buy a remote house in the country to escape the drudgery of the city. And then ....... grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Would it be same to assume there are very tall tree's the snakes are climbing and entering through the roof peak louvers? Cut the tree limb back after hiring an exterminator.

I think you are spot on as the crawl space had no sign of being used but a large tree actually touches the roof and the fascia has large rotted holes in it for ease of access without going in from the bottom. The old couple died which led to it being for sale no word on whether they were mysteriously strangled in their sleep...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
black snakes will find the smallest hole in the wall to get in. doubt they're using the tree. my camp had a snake problem and i sealed every damn hole i could find but still had them. then one day i came around the corner and there was a 5 footer sticking out of a hole under the siding. i ended up tearing the whole back wall off the place and finally cured the problem. nothing like coming face to face with one on top of the fridge first thing in the morning to motivate you to fix the problem once and for all.

but if its as bad as you say, i'd burn or bulldoze it. doubt you'll be able to fix that.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Where is this?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
NOPE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1moredeer, 2003and2013, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,057
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.