Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Scotty
I usually give 20%. Recently went to a restaurant that added 18% to the check. It was just my wife and I. I didn't like them adding it without notices before hand. But I figured I saved 2%.

Cracks me up when they inform me that they have included the gratuity in the bill.............. and then tell me that I can add more.

Had they left it to me they would have gotten more, if you add it on yourself then I assume you know what your service was worth..............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tip jars at the checkout don’t usually get much from me. I tip for personal service. I usually try to do what’s customary in terms of tipping. I’m not a restaurant critic and I don’t have time or energy enough to revamp the funding of our service economy. Most servers need the money more than you do. Just drop the excuses and pony up. It’ll help them more than it hurts you, Don’t be that guy.

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Leaving a tip in South Korea is no go.. unless it’s right outside a military base. Them Koreans are Americanized

One of the first things I was told when I got there. Tipping there is considered an insult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Funny when people, in the later years of their lives, still are cheapskates and selfish and still trying trying scam freebies and freeload. Cant take money with you when you're dead. You should be charitable in the later stages of your life. And not just money.

Excellent outlook, ribka. How I look at it.

We don't know how long we'll be here or when we're going to be taken up. What kind of Legacy do you want to leave?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
Funny when people, in the later years of their lives, still are cheapskates and selfish and still trying trying scam freebies and freeload. Cant take money with you when you're dead. You should be charitable in the later stages of your life. And not just money.

They’ll raise hell about makin sure their AAARP discount or senior citizen discount or Triple A discount, retired teacher discoubt, etc gets taken off the tab. But they won’t toss that back to the server.

Old people will also drive breakneck across town, 10 miles away to save 3 cents at the Phillips66.

LOL

And they use “PS” a lot

PS: boy howdy

IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
“The greedy geezers” is how I’ve heard it phrased.
The flip side is that here in West MI, if you have a cardiac emergency, you’ll likely get care at The Meijer Heart Center. Got a sick kid? The experts at DeVos Children’s Hospital are there for you. I’d say those old folks made good use of their dough.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Boy howdy, good thing me and Gertrude have Medicare, we got fish hooks in our pockets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
I came out better than one of the salesmen from the store I contracted to. He went out to the home of another very wealthy industrialist and spent a full day chronographing and testing rifles in preparation for the gentleman's trip to Zimbabwe. At the end of the day, he was packing up his gear and the client reached out and tucked a bill into Buddy's pocket. He didn't even look at it; so as not to appear too crass. On the drive back to town he reached into his pocket to pull out what he was sure was going to be a hundred dollar tip. He was brought down hard when he unfolded a nice five dollar bill!

That's not being cheap, the "very wealthy industrialist" blew straight through "cheap" and plowed into 'ungrateful bastard'.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most " comfortable" people are comfortable because they are greedy. Not all of course. Just most.

this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My aunt married the cheapest person I know. He figured out the cost of eating breakfast to the cent at home vs all the nearby restaurants including the gas he would burn getting there, factoring in that some supplied a newspaper to read. Quality and convenience wasn’t a factor.

Another time my moms siblings all chipped in on a birthday gift for her, and at the party this D-bag brought up the fact that one uncle hadn’t paid his share yet and asked my mom to pay the missing share.

Last edited by bigJ; 05/08/21.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
Imagine a waitress on a $15/hour minimum wage.

Yeah, that "trickle down economics" thing. Gawd, were we duped.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I remember when my Grandmother died. My mom and uncle wanted to place a small stone at the cemetery. All of my aunts and uncles agreed to share the cost. My uncle placed the order, followed up on placement, and advised everyone of their share. The cost didn't change. Long story short, my mom and my uncle bore the entire cost. Should have been split 6 ways. Instead it was split 2 ways. One even blamed my mom for working and having a steady income. Haven't seen any of them since.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most " comfortable" people are comfortable because they are greedy. Not all of course. Just most.

this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

I agree this is incorrect but it is a common misconception. I encourage anyone who hasn’t done so, to read The Millionaire Next Door. It’s a very eye opening read about wealth in America. Should be required reading for HS and part of everyone’s library.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by 16bore
Imagine a waitress on a $15/hour minimum wage.

Yeah, that "trickle down economics" thing. Gawd, were we duped.

?????? Care to clarify?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by SandBilly
BOY HOWDY!! Lol, heard a lot of old timers say that, wonder where that came from?

Its a catch phrase on the arcade game big buck hunter as well

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daughter just got home a bit ago.
Was suppoised to work 9-4, two waitresses hired last
week called off. She stayed untill close.

Left a couple in around 7 minutes to closing and waited on them.
They gave her a $20 tip on a bill under $30.

All told she brought home $220 something for 10 hours work.

Not exactly poverty wages for a school kid, working a family place,
in a low income hickville. (I have been told by a bunch of folk, including
her bosses, that she does a great job. So, maybe she gets rewarded well)

That's just tips. Pa allows a lower min wage for servers.
But, that wage is usually enough to pay the taxes and a tank of gas
every two weeks.

Whats this mean?
I don't know.

But a good waitress does Indeed earn a decent buck.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/08/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tex Mex is cheap around here, I generally up the tab 30-50% because the food is worth it and it’s still cheap. No idea what the other regulars are tipping, but I get excellent service because it tip well by the standards of the place.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Daughter just got home a bit ago.
Was suppoised to work 9-4, two waitresses hired last
week called off. She stayed untill close.

Left a couple in around 7 minutes to closing and waited on them.
They gave her a $20 tip on a bill under $30.

All told she brought home $220 something for 10 hours work.

Not exactly poverty wages for a school kid, working a family place,
in a low income hickville. (I have been told by a bunch of folk, including
her bosses, that she does a great job. So, maybe she gets rewarded well)

That's just tips. Pa allows a lower min wage for servers.
But, that wage is usually enough to pay the taxes and a tank of gas
every two weeks.

Whats this mean?
I don't know.

But a good waitress does Indeed earn a decent buck.

What’s this mean? I think it means you raised a pretty good daughter. Congratulations and good on you.

And cheapskate tippers are still scum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tipping has gotten to be flat fugging retarded.

It’s created a class of beggars.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Who cares how much anyone tips, I just wait until everyone has left, then put all the tip money by my plate. The tip remains the same, but the waitress appreciates me the most.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.