Print Thread
Hop To
D
dan_oz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I found this video almost by accident. A pair of (faithful reproduction) wheellock pistols are put through their paces. Accuracy, velocity and ballistics gel and all, including different types of loads of the time. Some slow-mo too, to show how they worked, and the recoil. They were surprisingly accurate with the right load, and powerful too. Fascinating stuff.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting video. Thanks for posting it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
According to noted "gonnescribe" Mulled Beer, in an article published in the April, 1648 issue of "Flint and Lead" scroll, they were a passing fad, popular with the landed gentry, but did nothing that the tried and tested matchlocks of the vassals would not do. Only the greedy could afford them due to them costing more than six matchlocks, and hence their disdainful nickname of " 6.5 Greedmores."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting...
I posted a video review a few days ago of a pepper box.
Compared to their contemporaries. They were supposedly a pretty good value..
Better for the poker table than horseback, but you were more apt to get in trouble in town anyhow...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Holy lock time, Batman! Better have a good follow through. Fun video, thanks for posting that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here’s the short video from when he received them.

I was actually impressed by the quick lock time, as well as the short wind-up. In movies I’ve watched, the wind-up was much longer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I ever thought of them.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I surmise that I would not want to be shot at by one at 25 meters or less.

The way those were used in war was pretty devastating. In the 16th century massed pikemen had become a thing. And of course, a wall of steel mounted on long poles was pretty effective against mounted men at arms. So, the tactics with those pistols in the 17th century was for each man at arms to have a brace of them. These guys then, wearing as much armor as a medieval knight with bullet proof breastplates, would ride right up to the line of pikemen just at the edge of the pikes and fire their brace of pistols directly down into the pikemen. They would then wheel their mounts and return a short distance to reload, passing the second line of armored men at arms coming up to do the same thing. In theory at least, they could keep a line of pikemen under almost continuous fire with the pikemen having very little chance of stopping them. Seeing those pistols in action, it would appear as if they had to be killing or wounding someone with almost every shot.

Last edited by JoeBob; 05/09/21.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wheel locks were also, even though they were huge, seen as the weapons of assassins. That was because they did not require a burning match and could be secreted in clothing and underneath cloaks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very interesting video and comments here. Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good video. Thanks for posting

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is some fascinating stuff in experimental archeology. Watch this about like longbows and armor from Todd’s workshop. He has a fascinating channel where he makes all kinds of medieval crossbows and longbows.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I watched a relatively authentic movie about French musketeers who were using matchlocks. The wheel lock was a huge improvement over those things. Sometimes their own guns were more dangerous than the enemy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I watched a relatively authentic movie about French musketeers who were using matchlocks. The wheel lock was a huge improvement over those things. Sometimes their own guns were more dangerous than the enemy.

Yeah, but wheel locks were so expensive to make and the coiled spring was so relatively fragile and expensive to repair, that they never were used by the masses. Matchlocks continued to dominate until the flintlock took over.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Yeah, but wheel locks were so expensive to make and the coiled spring was so relatively fragile and expensive to repair, that they never were used by the masses. Matchlocks continued to dominate until the flintlock took over.

This. Wheellocks were possessed only by the higher classes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dan oz;
Good day to you sir, I see if you're in Oz it's very early in the morning tomorrow, but I hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for posting the fine video. I've been subscribed and watching the videos put out by Baloz for years.

He's a history professor and black powder competition shooter as well I believe.

Anyways, he's had a few interesting videos of him hunting with nearly 200 year old muzzle loaders and such that were well done and informative.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
dan_oz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I surmise that I would not want to be shot at by one at 25 meters or less.

The way those were used in war was pretty devastating. In the 16th century massed pikemen had become a thing. And of course, a wall of steel mounted on long poles was pretty effective against mounted men at arms. So, the tactics with those pistols in the 17th century was for each man at arms to have a brace of them. These guys then, wearing as much armor as a medieval knight with bullet proof breastplates, would ride right up to the line of pikemen just at the edge of the pikes and fire their brace of pistols directly down into the pikemen. They would then wheel their mounts and return a short distance to reload, passing the second line of armored men at arms coming up to do the same thing. In theory at least, they could keep a line of pikemen under almost continuous fire with the pikemen having very little chance of stopping them. Seeing those pistols in action, it would appear as if they had to be killing or wounding someone with almost every shot.

Yes, the caracole and countermarch. Still a feature in dressage competition.

It soon evolved into a tactic found to be even more effective: ride up to the enemy in close order, empty your pistols into the front rank, and then draw swords and immediately press the attack home with a charge.

D
dan_oz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal
dan oz;
Good day to you sir, I see if you're in Oz it's very early in the morning tomorrow, but I hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for posting the fine video. I've been subscribed and watching the videos put out by Baloz for years.

He's a history professor and black powder competition shooter as well I believe.

Anyways, he's had a few interesting videos of him hunting with nearly 200 year old muzzle loaders and such that were well done and informative.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

Good morning Dwayne.

Yes, I subscribed to his channel too. Interesting stuff!

D
dan_oz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Yes, matchlocks for the poor infantryman, who was more or less expendable, and wheellocks for the cavalry.

There were also those who pressed that the bow should still have a place on the battlefield for a good while after the matchlock came along too. Henry VIII prominent among them. It could fire faster and reach further, and also was less susceptible to bad weather. It took a great deal more training and practice though, and probably also the psychological effect on the enemy of the crash and smoke of a volley played a part in the matchlock musket replacing the bow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.