Campfire Regular
K
The Modern Rifle by Jim Carmichel

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Red Badge of Courage was a good one. Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Black Stallion, Little Britches, Farmer Boy, The Hardy Boys, to name a few more.

Last edited by Tarquin; 05/09/21.

Tarquin
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The First book to change me was probably written by Louis Lamour and involved a Sackett. I started reading his books at age 7. My favorite remains The Walking Drum.

Next most influential was Robert Heinlein's Starship Trooper which began my love for science fiction.

Bingo. Read The Walking Drum at my grandma’s house one summer, and was a L’Amour fiend after that. Got a lot of my code from such reading.

Read encyclopedias as well, and a huge stack of National Geographic magazines from the 60’s my maternal grandfather gave me. Plus a lot of outdoor, camping and survival books, too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I read all of James Fenimore Coopers books. does anyone remember this one by the Annixters?

https://www.amazon.com/Horns-Plenty-Jane-Annixter/dp/B0007DW0IK

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Side of the Mountain, Scouting for Boys, anything Jack London and when I was older New England Grouse Shooting by W H Foster. Later I got into Ray Bradbury books, mainly Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles and the Illustrated Man.
The book that finely got my reluctant son to start reading was Hatchet by Gary Paulson.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I see many more mentions of reading the encyclopedia than I would have expected. I thought I was the only one.

From the third grade on, I went to the book shelf and pulled down a random volume of an encyclopedia and thumbed through until I found an interesting article.

All the rest of the class was outside on the playground at recess, and I was sitting on the floor of the classroom reading the encyclopedia.

By the time I reached 7'th grade it was Audel's books on electronics, automobiles, and building trades.

But I have to credit Robert A Heinlein with much of my political leaning. While his stories are fiction, the problems created by oppressive governments and a citizen's response to those problems are very real.

I read "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" in the third or fourth grade. It was my first exposure to Science Fiction, and for me was akin to a shot of crystal meth. I was immediately addicted and have been for life.

Heinlein led to Asimov, Clark, Le Guin, Bradbury, Frank Herbert (Oh my, DUNE), Niven, Vonnegut, Huxley, L R Hubbard, Anne McAffrey, Frederick Pohl, Zelazny, and Michael Crichton. Which of course led to J R R Tolkein, and Terry Brooks, and finally to several years of voraciously devouring anything written by Piers Anthony.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Loghtning and the Sun
Mein Kampf
March of the Titans
This Time the World

I didn't really start reading meaningful stuff until the 8th grade or so, but have made up for lost time by going at it pretty hard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goodnight Moon

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Books by Jim Kjelgaard and Louis Lamour impacted me as a kid, along with My Side of the Mountain, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, and the Little House series.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My side of the mountain; Where the Red Fern Grows, Crazy Horse, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Down the Long Hills, Big Red, treasure island,Old Yeller, at about age 8. Later various Hemingway and Jim Corbett, A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich. Laughing Boy, Lord Grizzly, When the Legends Die, Call of the Wild, Death in the Long Grass. The Deep. Lonesome Dove. Body Count. Several Joseph Wambaugh books, the Foxfire series. Charles Askins. Jeff Cooper.

Wake up to this!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One that I just remembered is Space Station Seventh Grade.

It depicts a 7th graders transition to young adulthood to a T.

I recall it being a hilarious book.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Martin Eden by Jack London

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I forgot about Big Red also. I read that a few times.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton was a very good read as well. Much better than the movie.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The First book to change me was probably written by Louis Lamour and involved a Sackett. I started reading his books at age 7. My favorite remains The Walking Drum.

Next most influential was Robert Heinlein's Starship Trooper which began my love for science fiction.

Bingo. Read The Walking Drum at my grandma’s house one summer, and was a L’Amour fiend after that. Got a lot of my code from such reading.

Read encyclopedias as well, and a huge stack of National Geographic magazines from the 60’s my maternal grandfather gave me. Plus a lot of outdoor, camping and survival books, too.

Same kind of readers as I am. Boy's Life, Camping et al.

My first LL was the Day Breakers. Orrin and Ty's "going west" portion of the Sackett story. I have read them all and own them all in the Leather Collector set I bought about 10 years ago at which time I read them all again top to bottom. The Walking Drum is truly one of the best.

I also read a lot of Alistar Maclean before I was allowed to ever see such movies! Parents thought it was so great that I read all of the time. I read all of the WW2 classics like Doolittle's Raid, Flying Tigers and later Leon Uris' Battle Cry and such.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably these right here.
Pictorial Encyclopedia of American History
Each volume covers a different era or event of American History, with big illustrations and a description of each event per page. They were bought for my older brother, but as a kid, I devoured them. The illustrations captured my imagination, drawing me into reading the stories.
Most probably the reason I’m a History Nerd now, although Dad certainly influenced my development. American History was a passion of his as well.
That led to this,
Golden Book of the Civil War
Dad bought me this at the Gettysburg Cyclorama book shop when I was 8, in 1973! I plum wore the thing out, but found another copy a a used book sale recently. It’ll go to my first grandchild.
Probably oughtta mention Jack O’Conner’s “Rifles and Shotguns” . That fueled my enthusiasm towards things that go BANG, which has been another passion of mine.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to hunt for it
Jack O’Conners Rifles & Shotguns
I had this book as an adult too, and Ben wore it out. Probably destroyed his future like it did mine! grin
I’m gonna order another copy to put with the others for my grandchildren! Gotta start them young! cool
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Had to hunt for it
Jack O’Conners Rifles & Shotguns
I had this book as an adult too, and Ben wore it out. Probably destroyed his future like it did mine! grin
I’m gonna order another copy to put with the others for my grandchildren! Gotta start them young! cool
7mm

I read that cover to cover about 6 times, I was 12 years old. Great book by Jack O'Conner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was this childhood book, that led to my military career as a Naval Aviator . . .

[Linked Image from philcooke.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett

+1

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by naiche
My side of the mountain; Where the Red Fern Grows, Crazy Horse, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Down the Long Hills, Big Red, treasure island,Old Yeller, at about age 8. Later various Hemingway and Jim Corbett, A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich. Laughing Boy, Lord Grizzly, When the Legends Die, Call of the Wild, Death in the Long Grass. The Deep. Lonesome Dove. Body Count. Several Joseph Wambaugh books, the Foxfire series. Charles Askins. Jeff Cooper.

Read One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich way back in hi school about 1972. Later read The House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Both made a BIG impression on me.

Good books!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/09/21.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,996
Posts18,520,320
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.