Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the 210 TSX would be a good compromise for having a bear/deer combo. They shoot well enough. Shots on Admiralty are likely close. I killed 6 or 7 elk with 165 X bullets (1gen). They ALL exited. I wouldn't worry about the 210.

I do agree that game live longer after being shot with copper X bullets than Partitions when shot in heart/ lungs. Just not as much violence going on.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I think the 210 TSX would be a good compromise for having a bear/deer combo. They shoot well enough. Shots on Admiralty are likely close. I killed 6 or 7 elk with 165 X bullets (1gen). They ALL exited. I wouldn't worry about the 210.

I do agree that game live longer after being shot with copper X bullets than Partitions when shot in heart/ lungs. Just not as much violence going on.

I think so too about a compromise... I got the 210 TTSX to shoot 2850 fps with 760, but not especially accurate. I have enough to play around with seating depth to see if I can get them to shoot a bit better.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
No love for the 250 Sierra or the 250 Hornady RN? I have these on hand. 1 MOA at 2550 with these. Might end up just using them for practice. Bought these during one of the past shortages. I'm curious to hear any experiences on game with these.

Interestingly, the Hornady RN has to be seated to a deeper COL than the listed book COL due to it not feeding correctly at the book COL. Another interesting thing I've come across with the 338-06 is using necked up 270 brass for some loads. Of the 100 or so I necked up only one got a split neck. This is with nickel and brass cases for both Win and Rem cases. I think I'll do the candle annealing thing before loading any more up with those.

H. Babcock
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I do not think the 210gr T/TSX is a compromise at all. IMO it is the best choice. It checks both boxes that the OP wants. I do not believe It gives up anything in big / dangerous game to the 250gr Partition. Full disclosure: I have never used a 250gr Partition.

I shot a bull elk back in 2005 at 280 yards with a 210gr TSX @2850fps. Quartering to and the bullet broke the the ball of the ball and socket joint into four pieces. Continued on through the vitals, liver and exited right behind the ribs. The liver not only had a hole through, but fissures radiated out. A lot of damage. That sold me on them. I have never recovered one, have recovered 210 Partitions.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Yaddio
No love for the 250 Sierra or the 250 Hornady RN? I have these on hand. 1 MOA at 2550 with these. Might end up just using them for practice. Bought these during one of the past shortages. I'm curious to hear any experiences on game with these.

Interestingly, the Hornady RN has to be seated to a deeper COL than the listed book COL due to it not feeding correctly at the book COL. Another interesting thing I've come across with the 338-06 is using necked up 270 brass for some loads. Of the 100 or so I necked up only one got a split neck. This is with nickel and brass cases for both Win and Rem cases. I think I'll do the candle annealing thing before loading any more up with those.

Such loads worked well in the 318 Westley Richard's. They will work well in the 338-06. A 250 at 2400 fps is a destructive missile on most things when placed properly.

The way life should be.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Still going? Wow!

It would be right to assume the hunter does not have a bear tag which is why he is hunting deer only with no actual looking for a bear mentioned?
It would be right to assume that anything approximating a .30/06 properly loaded scenario would be adequate?
It would be right to assume that no shot will be taken until an encountered bear demonstrates intent to harm?
It would be right to assume that such a circumstance would incite self preservation and the shots would be fast, continuous and adrenaline driven?

I would load for bear and kill a deer, then go home. Some threads get way more complicated than they need be.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Still going? Wow!

It would be right to assume the hunter does not have a bear tag which is why he is hunting deer only with no actual looking for a bear mentioned?
It would be right to assume that anything approximating a .30/06 properly loaded scenario would be adequate?
It would be right to assume that no shot will be taken until an encountered bear demonstrates intent to harm?
It would be right to assume that such a circumstance would incite self preservation and the shots would be fast, continuous and adrenaline driven?

I would load for bear and kill a deer, then go home. Some threads get way more complicated than they need be.

Yep
Yep
Yep
Yep
and Yep, but fun to ponder and hear others opinions.

H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Plus, it's always interesting to hear from people who've never seen a grizzly/brown bear, much less been charged--or actually killed one.

Which includes 90% of the posters in "bear spray versus firearm" threads. Have mentioned this before, but the majority of experienced guides in grizzly/brown bear country I've fished or hunted carry carry both spray AND a firearm

No doubt this will result an amazing continuation of this thread.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt elk where Griz are possible in Montana. The 225 Hornady shoots well and should do the job. Don't over think it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I typically carry both. I really don't want to have to skin another bear to give it to the state. I've had to shoot 4 already!

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Campfire Oracle
Plus, it's always interesting to hear from people who've never seen a grizzly/brown bear, much less been charged--or actually killed one."

Yeah, but, we know someone that read about it once! grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Depending on the terrain, shots on deer 250 to 400 yards, i'd use the 210gr partition at 2800 fps in my 338-06, thick cover shots out to 250 yards, the 250gr Swift A frame at 2550.

Trump Won!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
OK, no 338-06 for me. I want 400 yard range from a bullet worthy of sticking in a bear’s snout. Further, I want to do so without recoil breaking my own snout! I’ll get a 300 and shoot the 200 NP. 2800 FPS should be fast enough. I hope I never find out how it works on bears. Will gladly leave them alone if they’ll return the favor!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I typically carry both. I really don't want to have to skin another bear to give it to the state. I've had to shoot 4 already!

is that true for the road system side as well?

over on the west side, any of the side bays off uganik, ugashik... a gunshot was like a dinner bell.

and is it that bad for elk hunts on afognak? my buddy from kodiak pulled a bull elk tag and debating if we should do a surf/deer/elk trip this fall.

had a few run ins with the grumpy brown suit local over down in pashagshak while surfing but i think a dude in a black wetsuit and a huge white board was something not to be messed with and they boogied.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Plus, it's always interesting to hear from people who've never seen a grizzly/brown bear, much less been charged--or actually killed one.

Which includes 90% of the posters in "bear spray versus firearm" threads. Have mentioned this before, but the majority of experienced guides in grizzly/brown bear country I've fished or hunted carry carry both spray AND a firearm

On to the continuation..... crazy

When I have hunted in WY, ID, MT, and AK I have always carried a firearm and sometimes spray. Have seen and been around more than a few grizzlies/browns. Have never killed one or been charged by one.

Firearms have varied from rifles to a 44 mag with 300gr hardcast and a camp 12 gauge with slugs. Practiced a bunch with the handgun and felt pretty competent out to 30 yards shooting DA rapid fire. I think if I was to take a camp gun again, it would be my Marlin 45-70 with dot sight.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

is that true for the road system side as well?

over on the west side, any of the side bays off uganik, ugashik... a gunshot was like a dinner bell.

and is it that bad for elk hunts on afognak? my buddy from kodiak pulled a bull elk tag and debating if we should do a surf/deer/elk trip this fall.

had a few run ins with the grumpy brown suit local over down in pashagshak while surfing but i think a dude in a black wetsuit and a huge white board was something not to be messed with and they boogied.

I think the dinner bell thing is overrated. I've never had it happen and I have hunted all over the island. Mostly foxes come in

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

9>)

GR

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

But I read a few magazine articles on bears. Does it really take much more to become an expert?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cluggins

But I read a few magazine articles on bears. Does it really take much more to become an expert?

Youtubes are much more informative. Anything from Grizzly attack to adjusting the valves on your '63 Austin-Healy. You dont even have to be able to read.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Yaddio
My opinion based on hunting a lot of large animals, but never a bear.
You cant shoot from the shoulder a large enough rifle to "stop" a bear. Aint happening. All you can do is stop the heart and lungs, then wait. How long ? A second or two or several minutes.
Forget about accuracy. Let me say this again in case I miss spelled it. Forget about accuracy. You mentioned 100 yards. I have never gutted a bear, but I'd guess a bears heart is at least four inches across and the lungs bigger. You need a load that will shoot inside four inches. Benchrest accuracy aint required here. What is required, is the ability to keep making hits until the bear dies. And make those shots fast and in the kill zone.
If it were me, based on taking a lot of buffalo, bison, eland, etc, and testing a lot of bullets in the Bullet Test Tube, I would use a 250 grain Partition or Barnes XXX. You shout be able to easily get 2500 fps, and that's enough.
And anybody who says a 30-06 aint entirely adequate for big bears, is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Charlie

Charlie. You probably know more than I will ever know about the capabilities of different cartridges and the art and science of making things accurate. However, Joe Want a retired guide who was the last apprentice to Pinnell and Talifson used a H+H 500 Nitro double rifle as his guide gun on Kodiak. He had only one bear that took more than 2 shots to take down.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 219DW, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,799
Posts18,496,275
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.