Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dess
I remember when my Grandmother died. My mom and uncle wanted to place a small stone at the cemetery. All of my aunts and uncles agreed to share the cost. My uncle placed the order, followed up on placement, and advised everyone of their share. The cost didn't change. Long story short, my mom and my uncle bore the entire cost. Should have been split 6 ways. Instead it was split 2 ways. One even blamed my mom for working and having a steady income. Haven't seen any of them since.

don't get me started on this subject, buried both my mil and fil and my wife ex-husband.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The local donut shop has a tip jar at the register, and that makes no sense to me. I'm supposed to tip Trailer Park Tina for getting a glazed donut off a rack and shoving it in a paper sack? Don't think so.

Maybe if I knew for certain she was giving me one that the flies hadn't been crawling on, I might give her a buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a perspective really.

Already posted my thoughts on tipping, but one misconception is
that servers aren't earning much. They are doing well.
And that's not a bad thing, it's a niche job. Pretty good money
without the normal education/skills required for a good job.
And , an easy job to get.

The last year has been tough though.

And I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm kinda proud of the kid.
Waitress is job #1.
Her mom runs a c-store. When staff had to quarantine, she hired on to
cover shifts after her morning classes.
Then went to, tennis/softball, and sometimes the serving job.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by auk1124
The local donut shop has a tip jar at the register, and that makes no sense to me. I'm supposed to tip Trailer Park Tina for getting a glazed donut off a rack and shoving it in a paper sack? Don't think so.

Maybe if I knew for certain she was giving me one that the flies hadn't been crawling on, I might give her a buck.

I actually did tip the donut woman a buck this morning, she was flirtatious and has huge gazonkers. That probably had a lot more to do with the tip than the donuts, although the apple fritter was spectacular.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've encountered cheapskates who would probably want back change from the dollar they tipped a stripper.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Heeler
Don’t get me started on the snowbirds in McAllen and the valley.

Apologies in advance to the snowbirds down there that do tip well.

My FIL owned a house in Pharr, square danced there in the winter and would come back to Houston in the summers. If you wanted to get him going, just point out a car with a Minnesota license plate. That used to crack me up. He didn't have many kind words for them. He always called them snowbirds, not this "Winter Texan" bull$hit.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Chisos

My FIL owned a house in Pharr, square danced there in the winter and would come back to Houston in the summers. If you wanted to get him going, just point out a car with a Minnesota license plate. That used to crack me up. He didn't have many kind words for them. He always called them snowbirds, not this "Winter Texan" bull$hit.

I would love to meet somebody that splits their time between HOUSTON and PHARR.

LMFAO

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
How bad is Pharr that you leave to spend summers in HOUSTON?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
........she was flirtatious and has huge gazonkers. That probably had a lot more to do with the tip than the donuts, although the apple fritter was spectacular.

LOL, 'apple fritter," is that what they're calling it now?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My younger sister did waitress work during her college years at a Pocono's type backwoods resort. Such are frequented mostly by elderly well to do big city folks for a couple weeks to a month for golf, shuffle board, cribbage, drinking, or simply woodsie porch sitting and conversation.

She is quite attractive, has a wonderful talent for feigning interest in any subject, and a real talker with everyone from the town wino to the mayor. "Oh, nuclear engineering/neuro-surgery/programming/brick laying/pilot, how interesting," followed by a myriad of questions.

The organization ran a tip pool, but one had to put in 3 or 4 seasons before being blessed with admission. Within 2 weeks, she had an invitation to join the pool, as it was obvious she was pocketing serious bucks. She politely declined saying she had not put in her time like everyone else, and it would be unfair to take advantage of other's efficiency and efforts. She ran the numbers and figured the pool would have cut her income by near 50%.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/09/21.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my brother back in the day made several hundred dollars a night on tips as a bartender.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a not so short example of the cheapest POS i know

this guy is in his late 60's. was a twp cop for 10 years or so and then got a "bad back" and went on lifetime disability and sued the twp for several hundred grand and got it and bragged about it. inherited a nice piece of property with gas rights and gets 3k a month according to his own mouth. built a very nice house on it. wife was a school teacher, which around here pays very well with unreal benefits and retirement package. this POS is also an army veteran and member of my legion. he is on the honor guard but that is all he does. no work parties, nothing. we have a yearly veterans luncheon where we invite all the local vets to a really nice free home cooked meal that me and my buddy cook. roast beef, etc with all the trimmings. we also buy a $20 gift card from walmart and give them to all the vets who attend. the only thing we ask is that they sign up for it ahead of time so we can have enough food and cards and also a certificate from our local politician thanking them for their service. if they are legion members and have a significant anniversary like 25, 40, 50, etc, we get a nice plaque and a $50 gift card. any unused gift cards get used for the next years luncheon or a few other things we do like buy christmas giffts for visits to the VA home, etc. most of these guys who attend are just local blue collar guys who are not loaded by any means. some are really old and have very little money and we actually take a van around and pick them up if they need it. so its a nice thing we do for our fellow vets and are glad to do it. we all have a good time. i personally am "qualified" to receive a card but i never take one.

so anyway, this cheap POS did not sign up for a luncheon a couple of years ago but showed up. no big deal, we always have extra food. he shows up in his 50k grand cherokee and proceeds to eat like a pig and drink free beer all afternoon. when we get to the end and hand out the cards, etc, we call out the names and branch of service and a youngster goes through the crowd and hands them out. we get done handing out the cards and this cheap POS did not get one because he had not signed up. he raises his hand and wants his card. the commander says, "mike you didn't sign up". POS mike acts like he just got screwed and so the commander hands him an extra card, which he pockets, knowing full well we donate them to really needy folks.

that is a cheapskate, no good piece of schit koksucker.

Last edited by rem141r; 05/09/21.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought this was a thread about guys like me that reuse empty mayo jars to hold different size nails in the shop. And use the cardboard boxes from Chewy's.com to keep the weeds down in the garden.

Tips are a farce, but necessary in our business world for certain jobs. When labor boards or regulators say it's OK in certain industries to pay substandard wages and the employee is expected to make it up in tips.............................well in my mind there's something farcical about that.

Did have a good paying job, above national average probably in the 80's. Ran into a buddy of mine, relatively smart guy too. We got to BSing, he tells me he's working at a kind of fancy steakhouse, working Thur, Fri, Sat night. And knocking down more tips than I did working split weeks and a bunch of OT. Almost made me reconsider working with the public. ....................................Almost.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Dess
I remember when my Grandmother died. My mom and uncle wanted to place a small stone at the cemetery. All of my aunts and uncles agreed to share the cost. My uncle placed the order, followed up on placement, and advised everyone of their share. The cost didn't change. Long story short, my mom and my uncle bore the entire cost. Should have been split 6 ways. Instead it was split 2 ways. One even blamed my mom for working and having a steady income. Haven't seen any of them since.

If you haven't seen any since, I'd say you all got yourselves a great bargain out of the deal.

Two things. First, if you can't properly tip -- or plan to tip-- the waitstaff (assuming they do a good job), you shouldn't be eating out. Second, for those who do the crappy or no tip thing after receiving good service from waitstaff, I hope hard you return over and over to the same place and that the waitress you're shafting is the wife/GF of the cook/chef. Special sauce for this no good, cheap SOB coming right up...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't stand to hang w/cheapskates, I know couple tightwads that every step taken their figuring out how much it will cost. Even little things like a drive to the local store wondering how much tread will be used on the tires, or during dining out wondering the bare minimum can be tipped when check arrives. And thier always concerned when paying for a service if the person is making a profit, lol. Pathetic life.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
when i eat breakfast at the little Mexican restaurants here I always get a taco and an ice tea. usually the bill totals 5-6 dollars and i almost always leave a 2 dollar tip. the service is pretty good

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by Scotty
I usually give 20%. Recently went to a restaurant that added 18% to the check. It was just my wife and I. I didn't like them adding it without notices before hand. But I figured I saved 2%.

Cracks me up when they inform me that they have included the gratuity in the bill.............. and then tell me that I can add more.

Had they left it to me they would have gotten more, if you add it on yourself then I assume you know what your service was worth..............

When my son and his wife were in LA, we went to a casual Italian place. The bill for 5 of us was over $200 and the service was OK (not outstanding) but the chicken$hit waiter added a 40% tip! .I cut it in half but thinking back, I should have cut it to $1.00 on principle. I suppose (from our southern accents) he figured we needed help with the math.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Chisos

I would love to meet somebody that splits their time between HOUSTON and PHARR.

LMFAO

He had business interests in both places.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Go into a fancy restaurant, ask if they charge for gravy, if no, ask if they charge for biscuits.
If no, then order biscuits, and gravy. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I typically tip as the service warrants. Sometimes it’s dogsheit and I do 15%(never know what’s going on in their life). If it’s good-great I go 20-25% and holiday season like Christmas I do 50-60% or more. I’ve even left hundred dollar bills on $50 tabs(I was making way more back then🤣).

I got this message from my credit card company today. Normal day, lady seemed down on her luck but was nice to my daughter and I.

https://imgur.com/a/AhD1Gvb

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,845 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.