Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Years ago I saw one of those displays of cut open oil filters. A friend told me how Fram, a highly trusted brand, had cheapened their products to the point that they were no longer trustworthy.
The Old story of a company getting to the top, then allowing their competitors to catch and surpass them in the name of profits.
Long story short, I’ve been using Wix filters in everything for 35 years now.
But recently a problem arose. I bought a used 2010 Ranger in February.
I stopped in the parts store and grabbed a filter and oil, but when I tried to put the new filter on, It wouldn’t thread. Comparing the two, I saw the old one had a slightly larger diameter thread. I stuck the old one back on, figuring they’d given me the wrong filter.
As a precaution, I took the old one off and took Wifey’s car to get a new one. The new Wix again looked different, so they pulled out a Delco, which matched. The Delco went right on.
I’m wondering if maybe Wix’s tooling Maybe got messed up so the new ones for that model don’t work? Anybody else ever experienced something similar?
I learned as a teenager to always stake tho Old one along to compare, so you know the new one will work.
7mm
I bet you could call Wix and they would straighten things out and make it right. I had an issue with a Bayer veterinary product once and they bent over backwards to make it right. Same with Hornady even when the issue was my fault. Lot of businesses know the value of not having unsatisfied customers out bad mouthing them. I did not have that sort of luck with Midway USA or NRA.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
My hoopties ain’t fussy, I only change oil about every 10,000-15,000 miles. They are glad to get any filter.

Some, I never change the filter in. The ones that leak a qt of oil every week, they are GTG.

My bro in law changes his oil every 3000 miles. Anal whiner. Cancelled a kayaking trip “cause he needed to change his oil” JFC laugh

I’ll say 14 pages

Easy!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fan of Wix filters. I've never had a problem.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by slumlord
My hoopties ain’t fussy, I only change oil about every 10,000-15,000 miles. They are glad to get any filter.

Some, I never change the filter in. The ones that leak a qt of oil every week, they are GTG.

My bro in law changes his oil every 3000 miles. Anal whiner. Cancelled a kayaking trip “cause he needed to change his oil” JFC laugh

I’ll say 14 pages

Easy!

All add my two cents to help this thread along.

Bosche.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
bet you could call Wix and they would straighten things out and make it right.

Their customer service line runs through the weekdays. I didn’t realize where the problem was until Saturday afternoon. That’s why it took till Sunday to make the post.
Between work and home, I don’t have as much time for Campfire and other stuff until weekends.
Hell, there’s days I miss the computer altogether! It’s not nearly the loss you younger folks think it is!!! grin
I figure I’ll call their customer service tomorrow after work. That way, if it is a factory problem, they can track it down and fix it. One bad filter ain’t gonna break me, so I’m not out for a refund.
But I’ve come to trust Wix products, and would hate to see them take a big hit. They’re an American company employing American workers!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by Hastings
bet you could call Wix and they would straighten things out and make it right.

Their customer service line runs through the weekdays. I didn’t realize where the problem was until Saturday afternoon. That’s why it took till Sunday to make the post.
Between work and home, I don’t have as much time for Campfire and other stuff until weekends.
Hell, there’s days I miss the computer altogether! It’s not nearly the loss you younger folks think it is!!! grin
I figure I’ll call their customer service tomorrow after work. That way, if it is a factory problem, they can track it down and fix it. One bad filter ain’t gonna break me, so I’m not out for a refund.
But I’ve come to trust Wix products, and would hate to see them take a big hit. They’re an American company employing American workers!
7mm
Good deal. I use Wix when it is available. Used to pick up Fram until word about them got out. I have to wonder what quality filters the quick oil change places use. Probably whatever is cheapest and will fit. I change my own oil and grease my own fittings because of not trusting folks that are out to make as much as they can in as short a time as possible. I wish I had known my wife's Toyota came with a cannister filter that is not near as easy as a spin on. That's the reason I bought a GMC last year instead of a Tundra.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve used them, good filters!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wix, baldwin, donaldson, mobil one and quaker state are ones i have used.
Saw fram blow out on our dodge work truck with a 318 ,motor, made me kinda shy about using them.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use Wix or AC Delco. No issues.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I stick with Wix for everything, or NAPA Gold, which is the same.
I generally use Valvoline oil (non synthetic) and a half pint of Lucas oil treatment. I always fill the filter with oil before I stick it on, at least if I can. Some filters go on sideways, which makes it impossible and messy.
The last Ranger I had had 125 k miles on it when I got it. I sold it to a buddy with 265 thousand, still running good and strong. This one’s got 111k, same 4.0 v6, same 5 speed stick, although it’s a lot prettier and less rust! grin (my 6th Ranger)
Back when we used carburetors and distributors, I was a fairly decent mechanic.
Now with fuel injectors and computer controlled everything, and without a garage since the Old Man died, oil change and wheels and tires is as far as I’ll go.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We always sold Wix or Hastings in our shop. Depended what the customers wanted. Pretty much everyone except farmers opted for Wix. Cheap fuggs lol

I always used Wix until I bought my Silverado. That gets nothing but Fram Ultra. My opinion best filter out there. All other Frams are junk.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What engine do you have in the truck?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, and Wix is Napa's house brand.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Same for CarQuest.

Wix is good stuff.

If was an application that really mattered I'd look at Baldwins.

Just like your home furnace, you really can spend your way into less efficiency and flow issues by buying the most expensive filters.

Wix generally is a step above OE without getting silly; spending above and beyond that might cause other issues.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
4.0 V6. It’s the right motor, but I think maybe Wix’s tooling got outta wack, or maybe the plates that make the base of the filter got switched.
Like I said the first one (Wix) wouldn’t try to thread.
I thought maybe mine (2010) was different from the 2002, so I gave it to Todd, who bought my old truck. I compared it to mine before I reinstalled the old one, and saw that the old filter was noticeably bigger.
I drove the truck up to Bedford to get another, but it looked smaller as well, so I came home, took my old one off to match it up.
Went to a different parts store, and as I said, the Wix is 8 or 10 thousandths smaller diameter where it threads on.
The Delco was the same diameter as the old one. I forget the size but it’s a Purilator filter.
Gotta be something with the Wix.
I’ll call customer service tomorrow and hopefully they can straighten it out.
I got no problem with Delco, but as I said, I’ve been using Wix over 35 years.
7mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cant see how you'd get 3 bad ones. Its M22X1.5 thread. Youre using a 51372?

Wix 51372
Napa Gold 1372
Delco PF1250F

Heres a schit ton of alternatives....

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51372

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Should be a 4.0 SOHC
Are they giving you the filter for the old 4.0 ?
They're 2 completely different ones
Different threads and everything else even though
they look very similar

Maybe you got a filter that somebody else tried
to make fit something it wasn't supposed to, and
gilflirted the threads on it?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had 3 separate filters, two from O’Rieleys in Bedford, one from Interchange Parts in Everett.
Like I said, all 3 were noticeably smaller diameter. The part numbers on the box was 51372.
I wish I had one of them to Mike out myself with my calipers. Interchange pulled theirs out and, as I said, the were 8 to 10 1/1000 smaller than the Delco I bought and the Purilator I took off the truck.
Engine has never been outta the truck to my knowledge. I haven’t talked to Todd to see if he got the one I gave him to fit. I did tell his wife to tell him to get another in case I was right. I’ll compare notes this afternoon when I see him, and when I get home I’ll call Wix customer service number again. (Monday through Friday 8-5)
7mm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's hard to get through to Wix,
Call Interchange at the Turnpike, ask for Dan.
He has managed the place since Hector was a pup.

If there is an issue, he will be up on it.
623-5105.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/10/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wix makes a quality filter, as does Baldwin. Donaldson is another unknown that typically sets the standard all others are judged against. You'll never have to wonder if a Donaldson product is a good one.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.