Print Thread
Hop To
J
JimK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a good load worked up for my CZ 223 with this bullet. Anyone used this combo for coyotes, and what kind of damage did they do?<BR> So far I have been using factory Federal 50 gr. flat base HP. I feel the 63 smp will do beter in the wind, but most of my shots are under 100 yards it seems! Jim

James P. Knight
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They were not as accurate as Nosler 60 BTs, or Berger 64 MEFs in my AR-15, so that was as far as I got....<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
J
JimK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Critr...how did the heavier bullets do on coyotes? I get extremely good accuracy in my rifle with the sierra, and it has a lot of lead exposed on the nose. I wouldn't mind a big hole but don't want it to act like a solid either. What has been your experience with the mentioned bullets? Jim

James P. Knight
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I had been bustin' dogs with a .243, and there is no comparison. I use Sierra 75 HPs in my .243, and they are accurate and tear huge holes in coyotes. Been shooting each one I kill with the .223 multiple hits, usually 3, before they stop trying to get up. But then NM Kid says he gets instant kills with his .222 and 40-50 grain bullets. <P>Maybe velocity is more important than weight. <P>Maybe I can't hit 'em right. <P>Maybe if I were shooting a bolt action, they would lie down and be quite before I could get a second shot off.<P>Anyway, although I have not lost anything I hit with it, I have not been happy with the 223. So I am having a 6x45 upper built, and throated for the V-Max 58 grain.<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Jim,<P>I use a .222 which is fairly similar. I use Hornady V Max 50 grain Ballistic tips. I am getting right at 3,300 fps. Entrance hole will be the size of a quarter with no exit. I think this is the key. The animal gets hit with all of the kinetic energy. As you stated your shots are within 100 yds. I would say at these ranges 95% or more of the animals should drop in there tracks, lights out. I think I have only shot about 5 coyotes twice, that was due to poor shots on the first hit. This has been over the course of 100+ coyotes too by the way.<P>I did use the 40 grain ballistic tips too. I had good luck with them also. They shoot at 3,600 fps. I shot right at 25 with them. I went with the 50 grainers as a medium.<P>I will say bullet selection is key. I took a friend out who was shooting a .223. He was shooting 52 grain soft points at similar velocities. I called a pair of coyotes in. Both were at 75 yds when we both shot. My animal dropped dead over, while his ran off. The animal went over 300 yds before collapsing. Mark made a shot that just about mirrored mine, probably withing an inch of one another. He punched two holes through the animal. I showed Mark the difference between his dog and mine. I cut the coyote open and you could tell there was much more trama, and things were like jello. <P>I have shot coyotes up to 45 lbs with no problems also. Most coyotes here are in the 25-35 lb range.<P>Just look at the .17 caliber. It is a killer especially inside the 100 yd mark. The pill weighs in at 25 grains and wizzes 4,000 fps. I have seen a friend dump dozens of dogs in there tracks with that "pellut gun." Velocity is a killer. Good luck, I have the load written somewhere if you would like it.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
IC B2

J
JimK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I appreciate the feedback. I am having a 6x47 made up, and plan on trying the 65 vmax and the 75 vmax. I am using my 223 at present, but it is one of the CZ's with the backwards safety. It kind of bugs me, so I will trade or sell it when my 6x47 is done. I get long shots every now and then, but most the areas we call in are shots under 100, sometimes out to 200.<BR> I am currently using the Federal "American" factory load in 50 grain HP. I kind of figured to get the same results your vmax does, hopefully. I used the 50 grain vmax in a 220 Swift and got exactly the same results you did. But I am giving the Swift to my Godson, that's another reason for the 6x47, plus, I can shoot the occasional deer with more confidence with the 6mm.<BR> Thanks for the information guys, and good luck. Jim.

James P. Knight
I
I
I switched from using the Federal 50 gr. flat base hp's and the Black Hills 52 gr. hp's to using the Winchester Supreme 64 gr. power points. They group under an inch (minute of coyote in my book) and I have noticed that they put down coyotes with authority! Last coyote was at 175 yds. and moved right as I shot, hit it well behind the vitals but it crumpled and didn't move. I am shooting a Savage FP10 in .223.

J
JimK Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hey Iowa, I had that in mind, but my CZ will only do about 1.9" with the win. 64 grain factory load. I then tried the 63 Sierra, and it does extremely well, but wasn't sure if it would open up fast enough. Our coyotes ( unless they have been feeding on the new deer fawns) run on the small side. <BR> I may not ever get to try that load, so far, they keep giving me the slip! ha. we went out Monday, set up on an old road that paralled a small draw ( draw about 250 yards out, other side of the cedars) Had just started howling and calling when my buddy spotted the coyote running along the rim of the draw, and went down into it. we waited about another 30 minutes, figured he had made us out. Truck was about 200 yards down this raod, went back, eating a sandwich, rifles in the back seat, tem minutes later, I realize I am looking a coyote about 70 yards away! ha. You guessed he, he trotted out of sight, didn't even give me the pleasure of running like he was scared...he obviusly wasn't, ha! I am a novice at this, but I sure do love it. Thanks guys, Jim.

James P. Knight

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 6 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 682 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.