Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16078538 05/12/21
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Needing another storage unit for things of value. Just started looking around. Found a couple on the used market that look ok. Haven't hit any local retailers yet.

What's the current status of safes as far as quality rankings/reviews?

I will be looking for a fairly decent sized safe, and looking for quality. Do not want electronic access. I do want heavy.

Montana MOFO

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
tag to follow

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Liberty 64 gun safe which I like. Its big and heavy and not a piece of furniture. Painted flat grey. I have the electronic lock and wouldn't have otherwise.

We have a Liberty 25gun here at the office which is out in the open and seen by people and so we got the shiny black version. Electronic again so its usable by the staff. Super happy with both.

I've seen a few places with Brownings on the floor for sale lately but otherwise not alot out there.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I got mine I didn't know if I would like the electronic but glad I did, don't need glasses to read numbers and can open it in the dark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like my Champion. It’s as solid as I’ve seen.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Plus1 on the Liberty safe and I also went electronic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It’s not necessarily the brand. Look at the specs, thickness of metal in door, in walls, number/size of locking lugs, etc.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine are Champion Triumph series. They are in a different league than the typical "major retailer" safes found at Tractor supply, Bass pro etc. Major retailer safes are more like a lockable cabinet.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dale06
It’s not necessarily the brand. Look at the specs, thickness of metal in door, in walls, number/size of locking lugs, etc.

Agreed! The guy I buy my safes from sums it up in one word... tonnage. Cheap safes lack tonnage and good safes don't.

Last edited by bobinpa; 05/12/21.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sturdy safe

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Have a friend that had the electronic keypad and it fritzed. Just do not want that prospect.

I agree it would be handier as one I have, the dial is fairly high and that along with glare off the dial can make it hard to see. I don't necessarily worry about speed of access. I never have all my valuable stuff locked up. Always some valuable things laying around here or there.

I have a liberty and a national security now. I guess they're both alright.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess the most loss is from fire, not theft. Smoke as much as heat destroys the guns. So shoot for active heat/smoke expanding seal, heat insulation, and then the safe will certainly be quality, and the theft stuff like bolts will be done. I personally think electronic locks are shady.
Liberty and Ft Knox are usually good stuff.
I also think two mediums are better than one huge safe. Bolt the 8itch down and to a wall. Try to place them on an outside wall for fire.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of big Liberty safes. I like them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Liberty 64 gun safe bought new and Fort Knox 64 gun safe bought used. Both are pretty decent safes but the Fort Knox had a plate steel door that is substantially sturdier than the Liberty.

Champion makes a nice safe also roughly comparable to Liberty model for model.

Sturdy Safes are probably the best bang for the dollar if you something nice.

All of them are American made

I like to buy American and was able to get a great price on the used Fort Knox. Overall a decent safe to keep kids and smash and grabs out and an insurance police to protect against major fire or a more planned theft is the way to go IMO.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought a Browning Prosteel 49gun tall. What I don't understand about the fire ratings is why they all use different temperatures. You'll see one safe as listed 60 minutes at 1500 degrees and another rated as 75 minutes at 1400 degrees. Why aren't they standardized on a temperature? I haven't seen the contents of any safes survive a decent house fire, regardless of fire rating, but the fire rating should still be a consideration. I just wouldn't get hung up on the fire rating if a particular safe has some other features you like.

Definitely consider the taller (72") safes if you have paperwork, optics and other things you want to store besides firearms.

I think where it's installed is probably just as important as to the ratings. The front is always the thickest and most secure. Definitely bolt it to the floor so they can't tip it and get to the back. An outside corner might also be a good idea. A corner helps because now you've protected 2 sides of it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not only do they use different temperature ratings, the way they conduct the experiment is varies

There’s a lot of deceit in those fire ratings.

Wouldn’t count on those safes protecting your guns and other valuables in the case of a real house fire

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple of smaller (24 +/- gun) Brownings. My dad and I each bought identical safes 35 years ago, I inherited his 3 years ago.

Both obviously have a dial, and neither are rated for fire. At least not that I am aware of.

I've seen enough pictures of safes with high ratings for fire that have nothing usable in them after a fire. So premier fire ratings aren't anything I pay attention to, other than they weight they add.

Where I live, I have no illusions that anything would survive in even the best of "fire proof" safes.

I was considering buying a new, bigger safe to take the place of my two smaller ones a couples years back. I don't want an electric lock, so I was gonna have to order a safe to get a dial. Tossed the idea when I decided I more needed to thin out some of my small arsenal that never gets used. They're pretty proud of the big safes anymore.

My thoughts are that a big, heavy safe that's bolted down somehow, will keep the average meth head and whatever kids you have running around the place, out. But I'm doubtful it's gonna save much of anything in case of a fire.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarkio
What's the current status of safes as far as quality rankings/reviews?

I will be looking for a fairly decent sized safe, and looking for quality. Do not want electronic access. I do want heavy.

I'd suggest that you look at the differences between an RSC (like most "safes" that people own) and a real safe. Compare security ratings and price. And how yours will be installed, given the ratings, valuables, etc. In particular, possible attacks with fire axe, cordless cutting/grinding tools, etc. In general, I think most people are overconfident in the "safe" that they purchased, which is actually an RSC and can be defeated with simple tools.

You may decide that you need a "real" safe, or may just need an RSC like most people have. I think both are fine, but it depends on individual need.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/12/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a gun safe that has a keyed locking mechanism rather than a dial or electronic keypad?

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/12/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Is there a gun safe that has a keyed locking mechanism rather than a dial or electronic keypad?

I think some of the dial safes allow to put in a key and then only dial the last number. I believe my Winchester safe is that way, although I have no idea where the key is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (338reddog, 7mm_Loco, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 18 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.