Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[

Jorgei,
They make 15 round steel mags for the G48.

My neighbor has them. According to him, they work fine but they are made of metal and from his research you have to change the plastic mag release button to a metal one.

Changing the mag release on a Glock is pretty simple. Heck, building a Glock from the frame up is pretty simple. Youtube and go.

It is.But I'm not messing with "Perfection"... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
To Wader's point, I too feel better with more rounds ( I came to this decision about 2 years ago) but could not figure out what to carry. I too love my 1911's but chose to carry my M&P Shield for concealed carry. The lack of rounds in the Shield always bothered me and try as I might (believe me I tried) I just can not like a Glock. I do own one and have owned several over the years, but they did not carry good for me and at best I shot them ok.
Fast forward to a few months back and I bought the Sig 365XL. Love everything about that gun except as I have stated in other threads, there is something about the grip that "at draw" I do not line up correctly. I got to thinking, I love my Shield so much, why fight it, so I bought the new Shield Plus and now I have more rounds, can carry it just like my other one.

I am thinking about a M&P compact for when concealment allows a little bigger gun just to increase the round count a little more. I have not committed to the idea yet but I am thinking about it but would like to see one in person and compare it size wise to my Shield + and get a better idea of how big it really is.

I have had a similar progression.

My winter gun is a 4" M&P 2.0 compact. I shoot it better than my G19.

Shield+ with 13+1 is sooooo much easier to conceal and I shoot it better than a 365 or Hellcat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious (purely academic and not poking holes here) - what's the tipping point on capacity? Take platform out of it as 45ACP is available in 1911 or Glock/Sig etc.

Here’s how I got to where I’m at.

Depending on target size, I can fire accurately 4-5 times per second. And it’s reasonable to assume, based research and anecdotal evidence, that the....Start firing—Threat reacts—Perceive the threat is over—Brain tells me to stop firing—I stop shooting....cycle would take about a second. That’s 4-5 rounds per threat.

So I consider everything in multiples of 5. If it’s a 6 round revolver, that’s one bad guy. I assume there’ll be two bad guys, so a 10 round mag is a minimum for me, and 15 is where I feel comfortable.

That’s not scientific, but it does have more thought in it than “this is probably enough”.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

I'm not. In my current work and home circumstances, I don't feel compelled to carry a weapon on my person. But as I see our culture deteriorating, I may soon change my behavior to reflect that. I have several handguns now and am trying to learn to become proficient with them, although COVID and the ammo shortage has slowed down that process. I am sure I will never be anywhere near as capable as any of you. Knowing that has made me all the more hesitant to begin carrying; I don't think I am proficient enough to be carrying. At this point, if I were to begin carrying I would probably be in RGK's camp vs. yours, Antelope Snipers, or the many others who carry more firepower, although that too may change. Despite what you and others may think, the only reason for my questions has been to learn from you.

This thread seems to be telling me that people choose what they choose based on a lot of different factors, but gun fight stats don't seem to have much influence on anyone's thinking.

TYG,

I described my current carry situation, but I didn't start where I am now. Back in the day when I lived in a small town on the wind swept Wyoming Prairie, daily carry for me was a 6" barreled .357mag under the front seat with a couple speed loader and an extra box of ammo and I never felt under gunned. Of course, the only brown and black hoards I had to worry about then were of the Herford and Angus varieties. Heck I even carried my 6 gun real old school with 5 in the cylinder and an empty chamber under the hammer.

After moving to the big city, I progressed through a double action semi-auto, both single and double stack, a double stack 1911, and finally landed where I am today. Of course a lot's changed down here in the last 20 years, and we've seen a variety of threats evolve, from more aggressive panhandler on high THC pot, flash mobs, BLM riots, knockout gangs, not to mention our local crazies, from Columbine, the Aurora Theater, Boulder King Souper, Thornton Walmart, Life Church, Planned Parent Hood in The Springs, and a dozen other news worthy events. As a consequence I've evolved with the times.

I don't buy into the hypothesis that you have the level of dedication displayed by the top tier carriers to carry. In my mind, the most important part is just starting. Once you start, work to make it a discipline, and experiment as you go. Exercise good self reflection on your practices and how they align with your observation of the reality you live day-to-day, and adjust accordingly. Those adjustments could be in miscellaneous equipment like holsters, magazine carriers, etc. or the gun you carry, a new training class, or just how you practice at the range, or at home.

Don't worry that you're not "gunfighter level" when you start, just start, pay attention, and work to improve. Over time you'll gain confidence, which can serve as a deterrence in and of it self.

Best of luck with your journey into EDC.

Baby steps, huh? Point taken. I appreciate your very constructive comments to me and others on this thread.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Well Doc, and others I guess my belief in human evolution has ruffled some feathers. Doc do you still use the same equipment techniques and practices in the ER as you did in the '80s or have you followed and kept up w/ the significant advances and continued to learn and revise your knowledge and skill base?

Mike, thanks for starting to make an attempt to address my question.

You're quite right, all knowledge bases change with time, and sometimes that happens for the better. However, I strongly disagree with your characterization of this a HUMAN evolution. Biological evolution takes generations to take place, which means since Jeff Cooper's "Modern Technique" of the pistol was written in the 1960's, we have barely completed one generation.

Humans are biologically no different, no more "evolved" than we were in the middle of the last century. We could really go down a rabbit trail here, but you and I BOTH know that the overall physical fitness and educational level of American humans has gone waaaaay downhill in the past 60 years, so if we have "evolved" physically at all, it's been negative.

Similarly, the evolution of training and equipment for gunfighting in the past 60 years has been significant, and for the most part, I agree with you that it has improved. Coppers went on duty in 1961 armed with 38 Special revolvers loaded with standard pressure LRN bullets, and if they were lucky, they had a shotgun in the trunk. The weapons we have today are a lot better than they were back then. The tactics, though... I'll get to that in a minute...

As for medical changes, I've been around long enough to know that many of the "advances" in medical treatment that have come along in the past 30 years have been discarded as useless, or even harmful. For example, I've seen the drug Amiodarone come into fashion no less than 3 times, endorsed by the American Heart Association, then discarded, then re-adopted, then discarded AGAIN, and re-instituted YET AGAIN. Why? Because knowledge evolves, and as we gain experience with stuff, we get a better idea what works great, what doesn't work so great, and what sucks.

THE SAME phenomenon has been happening in firearms training and tactics. Much of the high-speed, low-drag, way-cool stuff that has come along over the past 60 years has turned out to be bull s h i t. And some stuff that has been good has been cast aside.

Here's what I know, at age 67, about the "advances" in modern medicine: stuff comes and goes, but the basics remain the same. People still need to breathe, they need a perfusing heart rhythm, they need a decent blood pressure. Those things haven't changed. The ways we address this have changed somewhat here and there, but for the most part the stuff I learned to do in my residency in the early 90's still works today. And a lot of the stuff the new residents are coming out of their training with doesn't... because they are so heavily indoctrinated into the concept that the Old Ways don't work. So when they come in as new baby ER docs and start slinging their New Ways around and find out it's not so s h i t-hot as they were taught, and that the OId Guys are able to do better work using the Old Ways with a few new wrinkles thrown in, they start their actual practical learning in medicine.

It's the same with firearms and gunfighting. I've spent extensive time with a few guys like Jim Cirillo and Pat Rogers and guys of that generation, on the range and over beers after the guns are put away. Pat Rogers was a great example of an Old Guy who continued learning and adding tools to his toolbox up until the day he died. (And yes, Pat killed a LOT of people in his career.) But Pat said many times over that the fundamentals of defensive shooting have never changed: always have a gun; always pay attention to your threat environment; always put your rounds downrange early and often; never give up.

The fundamentals haven't changed. I've taken training from more than one new hotshot, including some oh-so-sexy ex-Navy SEALs, who have killed a lot of people (they say) that was absolute garbage because they denigrated the fundamentals and insisted that their New Way was the only way to train and fight.

Who remembers when gun guys and their instructors argued the value of weaver vs. isoceles and .45 vs 9mm and putting a roll of quarters in your jacket pocket so you could clear your 1911 from your leather holster worn a 4 o clock.

Do you recall when IALEFFI and others taught that any hit was a good hit and COM was real good and mere mortals shouldn't take head shots because they actually moved.
1985, thou
Do you still shoot from a weaver and side step to "get off the X and wear Your Sportif stretch cargo shorts and logo polo to matches with your baseball shoes? Fug no.

Now you're finally giving some specifics. Yes, some of that stuff is garbage. But some of it wasn't and isn't.

For instance, I carry a 1911 more often than I carry a Glock. I shoot my 1911's better than my Glocks. And no, it isn't from lack of training or trying. Shee-it, I have actually worn out at least one Glock shooting the mofo. I still shoot 1911's better. And yes, I carry my pistol on my strongside hip, "at 4 o'clock". It works. It's tried and true. I can still draw from concealment in under 1.5 seconds on a shot timer.

Do I care about 9mm vs 45 ACP? Nope. Not even gonna get into that. What I WILL say is that the quality of the good carry ammo we have today is miles better than what we had in 1985, and we all know it. Guess what? Even the Old Guys that you trashed earlier in this thread know this, and carry good quality JHP ammo.

The old boys laid down a knowledge base that has been improved upon by modern warriors and made available to those that wish to improve.

Yeah, no. There are plenty of "modern warriors" who are all hat and no cattle. Just like every generation, there are people today who study and learn with a critical eye to what actually works, and turn around and pass that on to the rest of us without making it all about themselves. And there are a bunch of others who grab hold of a piece of the truth, attach their enormous egos to it, and then make it their mission to knock down every other idea and trainer who they perceive as a threat.

Speaking of which, and I'll preface this by saying I gotta agree with you on the nonsense of "any hit is a good hit" (I thought we had put that one in a deep grave decades ago, but no...) I was at an IALEFI-ATC in 2013 or 2014 and one of the high-speed low-drag way-cool sshitt-hot New Guys Who's Killed a Lot of People In The Sandbox was teaching a class and looked me directly in the eye and said my Tactical Anatomy training was garbage and that any hit is a good hit, and he was gonna shoot the s h i t out of Center Mass because "that's what really works". As you may guess, I smiled and told him to have a nice day and walked off "his" range then and there, but a whole lot of guys who worship at the altar of Guys Who've Killed A Lot of People stayed and soaked up every word the man said.

Training people to make effective hits, which is what my training system does, improves OIS outcomes. We have data on that from major LE agencies that have incorporated it. They not only get vastly improved hit ratios, they get incapacitating hits, and they put more armed felons into permanent dirt-nap status. But like sheep in Orwell's Animal Farm, there is a segment of the gun world that can't learn anything more complicated than "any hit is a good hit".

Oh, and speaking of old guys who can shoot with surgical accuracy, have you noticed that Mas Ayoob still regularly shoots IDPA matches, and scores very well?

As to specifics can you shoot w/ surgical accuracy and discriminate targets from innocents while moving through a crowd in less than optimal light conditions?

I will repeat: If you think you are good enough you are probably wrong.

again YMMV

mike r

Here's where we are gonna part ways.

I understand you train to a pretty hard and high level. More power to you, I'm serious about training, too. I know how quickly my pistol skills degrade if I don't train. Most people have no idea how much speed/accuracy they lose, because they don't use a timer, don't score their hits, etc. So they go to the range and do some pew-pew-pew, admire their targets, and go home thinking that's "good enough".

Now, that won't work for me, because I have standards that I train to maintain. But I think it's foolish for me to expect every Tom, Dick and Harriet out there with a CCW license to train to my personal standards. (Most people aren't able to meet those standards, anyway. It takes years of training to get to that point... just like most people couldn't run a half-marathon, either. It's no insult, they're just not able to.)

But the plain fact is, most people will never, ever get into a gunfight. Most of them won't even use a firearm for defensive purposes their whole life long. So why should I or you or anyone else insist they train to a high standard of performance? Moreover, why should you or I care WHAT standard they train to? It simply doesn't matter to me. I train to please me, and they have every right to do the same.

Folks send me articles and stories about self-defense shootings quite often. American Rifleman has a column about them in every issue. Most of the time, I look at these tales, and I'm no longer surprised by the success some folks have defending their lives when their training and equipment is so bad. But that's life, and they made their call, and they survived.

I guess they thought they were good enough, and it turned out they were right. YMMV.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by DocRocket

So again, I ask you to be specific: what is it that was so flawed about "the old ways", and what is so much better about "the new ways"? Don't just drop names, please give some specifics here.

I don't know about Mike, but I'll offer a few changes that I've observed of the last 18 years. Some of them might sound small, but in practice they're not.

Using "combat effective" as an accuracy standard.
"Focus on the front sight"
"Jerking the trigger"
"Slow down on your trigger press"
"Lean into the gun to absorb recoil"
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"
60 / 40 grip pressure

Some of that is still taught, but not by anyone I'll listen to. And more ridiculous stuff than that has been offered up as good advice by respected members of this forum before.

Funny thing, there's a kernel of truth in every one of those (except the slow is fast one... laugh ), but they have been twisted by mindless repetition into nonsense over time.

If I'm not mistaken, the "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast, so slow is fast" mantra came out of the speed training of USPSA Master David Elderton. He never uttered such nonsense, but people who didn't understand what he was teaching thought he said it. When I first met Dave, his speed on the draw was incredible, or so I thought. I've since seen a lot of folks who are faster.

I remember taking Dave's "Speed Skills" class in about 2000 or 2001. He was the first instructor I ever had who taught and broke down every element of the draw, presentation, and trigger press to work on eliminating excess movement; in other words, to make the motions as efficient or "smooth" as possible. He had us work each move of the drawstroke slowly, concentrating on smooth, efficient, motion. Then he gradually sped us up through a series of drills. He actually said you had to go slowly at first to get smooth, then you accelerate your speed while maintaining that smoothness. He never actually said, "Slow is smooth" (he would say, "start slow, for form, then build your speed on that") but a lot of people heard him (or more likely about him) as saying "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

Anyways, that's an example of how good training and true statements get twisted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have very little interest in this thread, but I do have to ask one question.

Do we no longer want to focus on the front sight?

I don't know about Mike, but I'll offer a few changes that I've observed of the last 18 years. Some of them might sound small, but in practice they're not.

"Jerking the trigger"
60 / 40 grip pressure

Some of that is still taught, but not by anyone I'll listen to. And more ridiculous stuff than that has been offered up as good advice by respected members of this forum before.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Curious (purely academic and not poking holes here) - what's the tipping point on capacity? Take platform out of it as 45ACP is available in 1911 or Glock/Sig etc.

Depending on target size, I can fire accurately 4-5 times per second. And it’s reasonable to assume, based research and anecdotal evidence, that the....Start firing—Threat reacts—Perceive the threat is over—Brain tells me to stop firing—I stop shooting....cycle would take about a second. That’s 4-5 rounds per threat.

So I consider everything in multiples of 5. If it’s a 6 round revolver, that’s one bad guy. I assume there’ll be two bad guys, so a 10 round mag is a minimum for me, and 15 is where I feel comfortable.

That’s not scientific, but it does have more thought in it than “this is probably enough”.

That's a variation on the Gunsite "number of engagements" approach, I think. I learned it from an ex-Gunsite guy named Tim Lau. I don't think they teach it any more, but I think it's a useful concept. The number they used was smaller than yours, 3-4 rounds, per engagement. This results in a normal-capacity revolver being a 1.5-2.0 engagements weapon, a 7-round single-stack being a 1.0-2.0 engagements weapon, a 10-round mag giving you a 2.5-3.0 engagements weapon, and so forth.

The number of rounds you will use in an actual shooting is set by your training, to some degree. There is a lot of research that bears this out, by Force Science Institute among others in the later 90's and early 2000's...people who trained to shoot a double-tap and assess tended to get shot when they lifted their heads to see how well their double-tap had worked. Whereas, people who didn't train much at all, in double-taps or otherwise, tended to empty the gun. People who diligently trained using a "nonstandard response"--since double-taps were "standard" then, anything like an El Prez or a 4-shot group was called "nonstandard"--did better in OIS's than people who fired DT's or who emptied their weapons.

I have been using a 3-round "nonstandard response" as my default in my training for a while now, which is suitable to my preferred blaster, a 1911 with an 8 round magazine.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The most concerning thing I’ve seen in this thread has been the underestimation of the enemy. Talking about thugs who don’t pull up their pants or whatever.

That’s a caricature of the bad guy. That’s the stooge, the hanger-on, the lackey. That’s not the bad guy.

The bad guy will Jack. You. Up. He’s bigger and faster and stronger and meaner than you and he’s lived harder for longer than you. You can disagree, but it’ll only be because you haven’t met him yet.

True story!

The average law-abiding middle-class person has no experience with or knowledge of the hardness of the Bad Guys. I have some knowledge and experience, and I do everything I reasonably can to limit my exposure to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek

"Jerking the trigger"
60 / 40 grip pressure

In practice, you're going to look at the SOB you need to shoot. But people who have been trained to look for the front sight (i.e. 'Focus' on it) will almost invariably see it, or at least reference it, which results in way above average hit rates and more effective fire. Of course most of this occurred before 9-11 and with pistols other than 9mms, so those fights probably don't count.

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/19/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting. Thanks. I hadn't thought of it that way. I can see where 10, as a minimum makes sense given that line of thought.

Me

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Most excellent post, sir. I guess I need to revert to my G-31!
PS: My "ego" just won't permit me to use a 9mm smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent post, Doc and in a nutshell, this is what I grabbed onto...} I shoot my 1911 better than my Glocks and not for lack of trying."....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek

"Jerking the trigger"
60 / 40 grip pressure

Staring hard at the front sight is pretty low on my list of priorities. And way, way far down on the list of what I pressure students to do.

So here's the sight deviation drill I posted about recently.

This is what it looks like.....
The post-it on the target indicates how many yards I was from the target.
The cut-out sights indicate what my sight picture looked like at that distance.
I fired three rounds at the center of the target with a perfect sight picture, then three rounds left and three rounds right with the sights deviated as indicated by the cut-outs.

These sights are Dawson .125 rear and .100 front. Your gun will be different based on sight width, sight radius and arm length. But the principle will remain the same.
If you try to duplicate this with your gun BE SURE you're actually deviating the FRONT sight. The hardest part of this, for me, is keeping the rear sight in line and moving ONLY the front sight. If you shift the sights in any other way you won't accomplish the same thing.

What this drill shows you....
Sight alignment matters far, far less than most people think it does. Even at 25 yards your sight picture doesn't have to be perfect, IF YOUR TRIGGER PRESS IS GOOD.
A good trigger press is far, far more important than sight alignment. We generally spend way too much time aligning our sights, have a poor grip to begin with, and then mash the piss out of the trigger when our sights are "just right" (which is made worse by the poor grip we started with). The result is a shot that's too slow and misses, even after we wasted all that time screwing around with the sights.

Dread of disaster makes everyone act in the very way that increases the disaster. --Bertrand Russell
Shooters get so worried about missing a shot that they do the very things (over-aiming, poor trigger control) that make them miss.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well Blue I think we are missing the gospel that the old guys had this stuff all figured out and that everything since Cooper and Cirillo is just gilding the Lily.

All that is required is a hard front sight focus, don't let your ego allow you to carry a mouse gun and do your best to limit your exposure to real bad guys.

All that other stuff is not an evolution in learning based on actual experience gained in the last 20 years because evolution is only a biological function. who knew?

No wonder the boomers are no longer taken seriouslygrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Doc, if you really believe that the physical fitness and educational level of modern humans has declined in the last 60 years we are living in different universes.

As to the modern warriors who are all hat and no cattle, actual experience trumps gun camp theorists every time.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I carry plenty of spare mags, but, the word gunfight, has me in rifle-land, i know, i'm retarded.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Doc, if you really believe that the physical fitness and educational level of modern humans has declined in the last 60 years we are living in different universes.

As to the modern warriors who are all hat and no cattle, actual experience trumps gun camp theorists every time.

mike r

Doc is correct and you are full of sh it

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_3293846

People Getting Dumber? Human Intelligence Has Declined Since Victorian Era, Research Suggests

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

mike r

More proof Doc is right

https://youtu.be/xfO1veFs6Ho

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will just throw out that my experience is that where you hit is VERY important.

"Any hit is a good hit" seems like a good way to not stop the threat.

Granted, I haven't killed "a lot" of people, and I did it with a rifle. That alone makes me think accuracy/shot placement is even more important with a handgun.

The people I know that have killed "a lot" pretty much say torso good, CNS great, but only CNS=stop.

As for amio, just load my patients before cardioversion, and stop it while their lungs still work.....

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,717
Posts18,514,165
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.