Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I plan on retiring this summer at 63. Because of this, I will not be able to collect Medicare. My wife does not work but is 66 so she can collect Medicare. If you have to purchase your own health insurance what do you do for coverage? Who do you use? I did a bit of checking and health insurance costs are through the roof. $1,500 a month or more.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you’re strong and healthy, do without it for a couple of years.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How is your health?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
If you’re strong and healthy, do without it for a couple of years.

Whatever you do, DON'T DO THIS.

One bad stint in the hospital and you could be sucked dry, financially. Don't gamble your life savings on a few years of good health at your age. Chit, my 25 year old son has health insurance.

Did you do ANY financial planning? Yes, health insurance is costly, especially when paying out of pocket with no employer plan pitching in. You should have had that in the big plan all along.

I'd hire some help and go over options.

With all due respect, that you are retiring and are only now considering healthcare and asking those questions HERE, means you really need some help.

Good luck in retirement!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
How is your health?

Perfect from my last examination. Great sugar, BP, Pulse levels, weight and shape but still do not want to take a chance as you never know.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Just get a part time job behind a gun counter somewhere {Or something else you'll enjoy} to help pay for insurance till medicare kicks in.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
63 1/2 you can get Cobra for 18 months to take you thru to medicare, otherwise policy with high deductible will save money and protect against any big bills.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Change your name to Jose Sanchez-Dominguez and go to the ER for all medical needs

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Do not go without insurance. I pay for mine and it's about $800 per month. Don't need a low deductible so I can get a better rate. Shop around or better yet get an insurance guy to help you with the ins and outs of insurance. I have one and he's worth his weight in gold.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Great info. Thanks guys.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I plan on retiring this summer at 63. Because of this, I will not be able to collect Medicare. My wife does not work but is 66 so she can collect Medicare. If you have to purchase your own health insurance what do you do for coverage? Who do you use? I did a bit of checking and health insurance costs are through the roof. $1,500 a month or more.

I believe your employer has to let you pay to stay in their group insurance program for up to 18 months. They are allowed to add 10% to the cost of coverage. Look up info on cobra.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get to Mexico and cross back over the border illegally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your monthly COBRA premiums will equal the total cost of the premium under your former employer-sponsored health insurance, plus up to a 2% administration charge. If you’ve had insurance through your employer, the price to continue that coverage on your own is gonna sting. COBRA requires you to pay 100% of the health insurance costs plus up to a 2% adminstrative fee. With COBRA insurance, you’re on the hook for the whole thing (you gotta pay what you used to pay when you were employed with them plus what your employer used to pay when you were employed with them.

https://www.insurance.com/health-in...s/what-you-need-to-know-about-cobra.html

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by andrews1958

My wife and I pay $2852.00 a month. This is just plain crazy, this way, other people only pay $1.00 to $100.00 or so. We were good until BHO became President. At that time we were paying around $700.00 a month.
We will be 65 next year...

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might consider one of those health-sharing plans such as Liberty:

Liberty HealthShare

Anyone with experience with a Health-share company?

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/14/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of church friends use a share plan. I wanted to try one, but my wife wanted to keep it as it was. We both are turning 65 next year. Then it will change. Then I'll need to get a Plan A and B ?? For extra coverage..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
You might consider one of those health-sharing plans such as Liberty:

Liberty HealthShare

Anyone with experience with a Health-share company?

Thanks for the help.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A great thread.

I’m not 65 yet but I’m hoping to work well past that age.

If I’m able to do that, do I keep my present employer-contributed insurance or save money by getting on Medicare?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A great thread.

If I’m able to do that, do I keep my present employer-contributed insurance or save money by getting on Medicare?

You need to run some quick numbers, check the out of pocket costs for general medical care and a hospital surgery stay. My father -in-law had several heart events, my father a hip replacement, prostatectomy, and a heart event........ The out-of-pocket or patient responsibility would have completely, and then some, out done whatever savings might have been by going cheap on Med Ins.

90% of ALL your medical costs will likely be made in the last 10% of your life...............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A great thread.

Get on Medicare. Get A,B,D, and G. Go through a certified medicare advisor. They charge nothing, help you find the cheapest rates. Mine is 300.00 a month, only 150.00 a year out of pocket. I went through United Medicare Advisors. Call them, they will explain it all to you.

The only bad thing for me is the Medicare penalty I have to pay cause Wifey and I make too much. It’s 300.00 a month. It should go away when I retire, certainly will when We both do.

Last edited by hanco; 05/15/21.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.