Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How long does it take to quick charge an EV battery? Does quick charge shorten the life expectancy of a Lithium battery? How long will the world's lithium supply last? How much lithium do we have in the USA?

I am doing my part in trying to deplete the amount of Lithium available to the public.
Lead acid batteries are crap and have way to much maintenance to them.
I have purchased (6) 12 volt 200 amp Lithium Bought the supplier out twice and (2) 12 volt 100 amp
Lithium has cold problems They do not like it. So ya gotta keep em warm but not hot. No Maintenance to them.
They charge quicker than Lead Acid batteries.
Grid power is 7 1/2 miles from my property in Arizona. So I have to make my own. Gas is expensive and the wind up there is un reliable at best.
This first set up of (6) 12 volt 200 amp batteries is the 1st battery pack and Inverter set ups that I am building for my property. so that I can get out of Commyfornia hopefully very soon.
I will be building a 2nd. when I figure out what my need are.

Mining Lithium is very destructive to the environment with the Open Pit Mining they do. Mostly in China.
Green New Deal what a Joke. The every day environmentalist Joe Blow has no idea what mining their Green Lithium does. They are brain dead Morons.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"The US has only 1 operating lithium mine. The US also has about 10% of the proven lithium reserves"

How do we know Hillary didn't sell that to Russia?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There are a few kernels in there, but it is about 90% bullshit. Not surprising that no one put their name on it.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jesus, the answers to my Prayers !!!!

So I’ll be able to call a robot to kill beavers, repair my bridge, and clear dams in the creek that flood my cornfield, other robots and auto tractors to plant the cornfield, and a computer legal team to sue the robots that lose against the beavers.

Hot Damn !

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bunch a hooey.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a draftsman an IT guy said me one day there wouldn’t be anymore “pen and ink” and that everyone would have their own computer on their desk. It was pretty funny.

At the time.

Prince said that one day music would just be on a computer.

We’re almost there.

People look forward and those behind can’t belive it, until it happens. Then they say they wish they’d thought of it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And they said with computers the world would go paperless. Or at least a drastic reduction in paper use.

The run on paper went up, as everyone with a computer wanted hard copy as well. I should have bought some Weyerhauser stock....

Let's see them do timely passenger inter continental flights on batteries, or solar.

An EMP ruins everyone's day that uses electrical devices. Military ain't gonna buy into it, for one (as said above).

The farther away from a primary energy source a device gets, the more costly and energy consumptive to make.There may be exceptions, but I can't think of one. It's called "technology".

Example: Tesla vs F150..... or Expedition, etc.

We may be forced into it, but only the brain dead will think it is "better" , cheaper or more energy/material efficient overall.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn’t read the entire OP post or the comments but I can’t imagine that an entire gasoline or diesel car or truck has 20,000 parts let alone in just the engine. I have a gasoline engine truck that has about 300,000 miles miles on it and has never had an engine issue. Most manufacturers today have engines and transmissions pretty well figured out people aren’t routinely bringing vehicles in now for engine issues.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am a neanderthal but enjoy the benefits of modern tech. My kids own E cars that are amazingly fast and run paper free businesses. My grandkids are studying math and science and expect to travel to other planets. Times change and people either grow and adapt or fail.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All the greens who talk about the end of petroleum but can never answer where all the plastics in their electric cars will come from, where the tires will come or the asphalt roads will come from.

Where will all the fertilizer come from without natural gas.

They are full of bovine excrement

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's my understanding that as long as rubber, asphalt and plastics are a necessity, there will be an oil industry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

8. Coal industries will go away. Gasoline/oil companies will go away Drilling for oil will stop. So say goodbye to OPEC! The middle-east is in trouble.

Gasoline will eventually go away. They'll still need oil for petrochemicals.

11. In 1998, Kodak had 170,000 employees and sold 85% of all photo paper worldwide. Within just a few years, their business model disappeared and they went bankrupt. Who would have thought of that ever happening?

14. Yet digital cameras were invented in 1975. The first ones only had 10,000 pixels but followed Moore's law. So as with all exponential technologies, it was a disappointment for a time, before it became way superior and became mainstream in only a few short years.

Digital photography was invented in 1975; by an engineer at - Kodak. They refused to do anything with it because they couldn't envision anyone looking at pictures on a screen (it was well before personal computers) and it didn't have the downstream financial benefits of Kodak processing and Kodak printing on Kodak paper.

35. Electricity will become incredibly cheap and clean.

Like products always do when there is a sudden surge in demand. wink The conversion to electricity will require a massive investment to upgrade the electrical grid.

Last edited by natman; 05/15/21.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
This reminds me of the predictions made in 1945 that everyone would soon have a small airplane in their garage and that nuclear power would make electricity too cheap to meter, and would be free.

And I think the idea of not owning a vehicle is a crock. Just make a phone call and a self driving one shows up? What about peak times. You'll wait a couple of hours.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Coal is used to make synthetic materials also. Nylon comes to mind.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How long does it take to quick charge an EV battery? Does quick charge shorten the life expectancy of a Lithium battery? How long will the world's lithium supply last? How much lithium do we have in the USA?

Every time a lithium battery cycles, it's life shortens, but it's still capable of 1000's of cycles. Vanadium Ion is another battery type that never degrades, but they're still too physically large for practical purposes. The US has only 1 operating lithium mine. The US also has about 10% of the proven lithium reserves, however, the permitting to mine it is mind boggling and is proving to be prohibitive.

The next quantum leap for electric devices is expected to be in super capacitor development. Where you could take a charge in minutes (like fueling your current auto) and then discharging over hours/days.

Would this be enough for awhile? Given that they can actually get it out of the ground?

The University of Wyoming stated that in a best-case scenario, the Rock Springs Uplift’s 18 million tons of potential lithium reserves is equivalent to roughly 720 years of current global lithium production.
(my bold)

And that is a 2013 story.

It's there, more than enough for "Our" needs for the foreseeable future, but there's that money thing. As long as the basic product can be produced cheaper somewhere else, that's where it's going to be produced.

Have you priced a simple pair of American made leather gloves lately? Compared to those made overseas?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They will have to get the juice from something other than wind a solar.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
More wet green dreams. The wind turbine blades are cut from balsa trees in S America, shipped to china where slave labor turns them into turbine blades. They are then shipped to the brain dead governments who site them and have them installed. Next we have many days off, and most nights, too windy! Too little wind!

Then comes the very high maintenance costs, hey they must have come out of a Yugo plant, certainly not a Toyota plant.

They never pencil out for what they were spec’d out for. After paying for these green wet dreams the local customers are stuck with high carbon (see production and maintenance costs) costs, and third world energy dependability.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My grandparents in Bristol VA in 1956 were on an all renewable farm [except for kerosene lamps].
An old man plowing the field with two work horses.
An old woman milking 7 cows and cooking on a wood stove.
No electricity and no plumbing.
I was 5 and put to work hoeing the tobacco patch, the cash crop.
The evening meal was always coleslaw and cold beans.
If liberals were sent to renewable lifestyle farm for one week, all that work would change their mind about renewables.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
May I suggest that all of that “renewable energy” back then, could also be understood as an “honest day’s work”? Yep, the younger generations don’t comprehend what that means

Smith and Wessons are Thoroughbreds; Rugers are Clydesdales —John Taffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's probably a nugget of truth in there, but mostly by sheer luck.

The future? Follow the money. If'n'when it's cheaper, it wins.

Right now, solar is the cheapest, and still getting cheaper at 3% per year. It's going to win, we're just arguing about when.
Right now, lithium-ion is the practical champ -- but it's expensive, and not all that easy to work with. Several different solid state battery options are being touted, some of which have a 1 minute charge time. Think that would ease range anxiety a bit?
Right now everyone has their car, because that's what they want. It's always there, there are very reasonably priced options. You really think your wife is going to get into some public conveyance smelling like a subway on Sunday morning to go to church? Not happening, not ever. Owning a car, especially if it's even cheaper than it is now, will remain the standard.
Medicine, right now, is consuming 20% of our GDP. That simply is too far out of whack, and telehealth and other computer driven protocols will have a huge influence. Realistically, docs are bound hand and foot by rules, from insurance, from "standard of care", from government.
Law -- nobody cares if a bunch of lawyers lose their jobs. Until they need one.
Autonomous cars will rule. Send the car to pick little Johnny up from school and take him to soccer practice, and then home, and little Jane to piano practice. Mommy can stay on the porch drinking gin-and-tonics with her bridge club. The biggest problem will be increased urban sprawl: a two hour commute is not as big a deal when you can crawl in your bed and sleep on the way to and from work. Go to hunting camp? The truck drives while you sleep comfortably in the bed in the back.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.