Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cheesy: Why not just load a 140 partition and shoot EVERYTHING with it. There will not be a dimes worth of advantage going to anything else. Then you can stop tormenting yourself over "this bullet for this" or "that bullet for that". If you work up a load with a Partition, you can stop looking for anything else....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Like I said, some people think the groundhog they killed at 75 yards with a .243 makes them an expert on a 7mm-08 bullet they never shot at an antelope.

I haven't shot an antelope with a 7mm-08, because when I lived and hunted in Wyoming, Texas and Colorado, I was shooting a .30-06 or .270. I got my first 7mm-08 just 10 years ago, as a 300-meter running boar target rifle, then a deer rifle for my son, then another. Knowing what the .270 will do in wind with a 3,000 fps bullet and what the 7mms do in wind with a 120, 140, 150 and 160-gr bullet, is the basis for my suggestions that hunters see how the 154 and 160 shoot in their rifles.

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
Like I said, some people think the groundhog they killed at 75 yards with a .243 makes them an expert on a 7mm-08 bullet they never shot at an antelope.

I haven't shot an antelope with a 7mm-08

And yet you feel compelled to lecture all of us on the proper bullet choice for antelope out of the 7-08.

The irony runs deep....................

Shall I restate once again:

"Hello, Kettle,.....This is Lee,......You're black!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CAS -
You think someone who has shot one antelope is an expert, yet someone who has shot dozens of deer and antelope with a variety of cartridges and thousands of targets at long range is a dummy.

Your naive world view attempts to extrapolate from a narrow experience to an opinion on everything. Mine is distill a broad set of appropriate knowledge and direct experience to application of one question at a time.

That's why you are so often wrong.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dozens of deer... dozens of PRONGHORN... no pictures?

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my 4 year old has been in on more deer kills than Lee has...

[Linked Image]

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CAS -
You think someone who has shot one antelope is an expert

No, I have never made that argument. I do know however that someone who has NEVER shot an antelope with a 7-08 with any bullet (YOU!) is absolutely, positively, NOT an expert.

Your naive world view attempts to extrapolate from a narrow experience to an opinion on everything. Mine is distill a broad set of appropriate knowledge and direct experience to application of one question at a time.

That's why you are so often wrong.

Is there anything better than being lectured about a "naive world view" by someone who claims to be an expert on things that he admits to NEVER HAVING DONE?

Mine is distill a broad set of appropriate knowledge and direct experience to application of one question at a time.

A perfect explanation of your reason for the excessive use of Google. Thank you.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Which bullet do you all recommend? I've shot 120 and 140 grain TSX, 120 grain Ballistic Tips, 139 Hornady soft points, and 140 grain Accubonds, all with acceptable accuracy out of my 700 Mountain Rifle.

I know about any bullet you put in the vitals will take an antelope down, but which one would you all recommend?

If you are still reading replys I feel for ya man!

I've shot all those bullets out of my 700 Ti, same barrel as yours. All shoot acceptable accuracy.

I shoot the 140 TSX for deer hunting. It shoots the most consistant of all the bullets I've tried, day in day out in many differnt climate conditions (this is Floirda, the weather changes by the minute). They kill deer like the hammer of Thor, I would expect the same on the speed goats. I have not shot a speed goat yet, but there is a chance a stray goat will come by at a couple of stands I hunt. If one walks in, he is mine.....well my father will insist that I share but that's okay.

Seriously, take your favorite brass, pop in a WLR primer, fill it full of H4350 (leave a little room for the bullet), stick that bullet on top (make sure it is nice and straight), go sight the gun in dead on @ 200 yards and go hunting. Good luck.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bet Cheesy's antelope is dead and mounted by now. Can't be easy being Cheesy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I keep saying that I won't open this thread anymore, but, I am simply stunned everytime I see Lee digging his own hole deeper, and deeper and..........grin

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is that the sum total of your experience with the 7mm-08, "Huntr"?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CAS, how many antelope have you shot?
How many deer or antelope have you shot at 300 yards?
How many deer or antelope have you shot with the 7mm-08?
Have you ever used the 154-gr or 160-gr bullets out of a 7mm-08 on anything, including paper targets?

Bonus question:
Why do you think my experience with 130-gr bullets out of my .270s is irrelevant to my experience with 120, 140, 154, and 160-gr bullets out of my 7mm-08s?

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee,

You have taken deflecting to a higher art form. You still have not backed up a SINGLE claim you have made, whether it be about hunting, shooting, engineering, programming, writing code, working with walnut, bending stocks using liquid anhydrous ammonia, experience with M40s, explaining how you shot with the Army MTU in 1968 and yet still drill at the armory, still in service 39 years later, etc., etc., etc.

Lee, I will go ahead and say that you are a pathological liar. On top of that you are a narcissist, and a completely unfounded one at that.

Before you go asking anyone else to prove their experience (which has consequently been done dozens upon dozens of times), you need to back up ONE SINGLE CLAIM THAT YOU HAVE MADE!

Now, as to your questions:

CAS, how many antelope have you shot? - I guarantee it is more than you.

How many deer or antelope have you shot at 300 yards? - EXACTLY at 300 yards, none. At over 300 yards, 7 in the past 3 years, probably close to a dozen in the last 10.

How many deer or antelope have you shot with the 7mm-08? - 11

Have you ever used the 154-gr or 160-gr bullets out of a 7mm-08 on anything, including paper targets? - Well beyond 4000 154s and 160s have gone down the tube of various 7-08s, launched by the movement of my trigger finger. Add in 168s and 175gr bullets, and the figure is well in excess of 10,000 rounds.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
With all that alleged experience with the 7mm-08, why don't you post an intelligent answer to the original question about our bullet preference?

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why don't you do what CAS just did... and list your ACTUALL EXPERIENCE? I find it rather indicitive of your character that you'd not abide by the standards that you're holding others to. You asked about actuall experience... he gave it, as did I. We asked about your actuall experience... and you dodge the question. If... and that's a HUGE if... you have actually shot anything with a 130 out of a .270... how does that qualify you to make assumptions of performance of 7mm-08 loads? Especially when you fire at everyone for not having ACTUALL EXPERIENCE with the EXACT bullet in the EXACT caliber in question. You truly are an amazing creature Lee... and it's a shame you missed your calling in life... we can never run short of ner-to-do-well slimey skunks like you in public office. Start answering some dierct questions with some direct answers... or STFU... I'd prefer you do the latter. ~JT

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I already did. Exactly how many antelope, what size, and what range do I have to kill with the 120-gr BT and the 160-gr Gameking for it be satisfy you armchair hunters?

You blew off Mule Deer's experience. I doubt Craig Boddington, Jack O'Connor or I have enough, if any of us disagree with your theories.

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE 7MM BULLETS ON GAME... not MD's, or Boddington's, or O'Connor's... we can use google too.

YOU HAVE TO KILL ONE, AT LEAST. My point is you bash on others for not having EXACT EXPERIENCE WITH EXACT BULLET ON EXACT GAME WITH EXACT CALIBER DURRING EXACTLY THE SAME LUNAR PHASE... but have none yourself. You're a troll... we all know it... yet we continue to feed your ever contradictive ego. I'll refrain from doing so henceforth now and forever on... go ahead now... you can have the last word... no one will believe it anyway. ~JT

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have posted many, MANY times that IME the perfect bullet out of the 7-08 is the 120 TSX. I have backed that up with my observation that it kicks noticeably less and flys noticeably flatter at hunting ranges than heavyweights out of the 7-08. It will outdig bullets of heavier weight due to it's construction once it hits game, and particularly when it hits bone.

The 168gr VLD bullets work great for long range shooting, but their benefits can't really be realized until you get past 600 yards. I have never shot a single large game animal that far, so I have no need to run heavy VLDs for game. Further, were I to consciously try to take game beyond 600 yards, I would choose my 300 Roy, as it whips the 7-08's ass in every category that counts to me in on game performance at those ranges.

Also, go ahead and drop your assertion that I discounted Mule Deers experience. I noted that a 160gr GK would indeed expand at long ranges due to it's ultra-soft construction. The fact that it will expand, does not make it the ideal choice, however. If you re-read MD's post, you will notice that he clearly left out the endorsement of the 160 GK as the ultimate long range game bullet.

The ball's in your court.

Last edited by CAS; 08/31/07.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, finally, you posted your opinion and supported why YOU believe in the 120-gr TSX. Now, maybe some others will try, if they have any experience as a basis for their opinion.

Meanwhile, though I like the 120-gr bullets I have used out of the 7mm-08 (not including the TSX), I don't understand the adamant opposition some people have to the suggestion that the hunter try 140s, 154s and 160s in his rifle, especially if he thinks he might use it for something more than pronghorn and deer.

What works for you doesn't necessarily work for every other hunter. If this one is having good luck with conventional 140-gr bullets on deer, that is where his quest should start, trying a 140-gr BT, SST, Remington Accutip ammo, and Light Magnums.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
DDP -

Since your criticism is a baseless false claim about me, it deserves no response. I shouldn't even post this. Feel free to answer the same questions I posed to CAS.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 57 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,580
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.