Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Asking for my wife.

In her golden years my wife has developed a post nasal drip condition kind of like her father had. She isn't congested but has a small trickle into the back of her throat. It is most irritating at night which is now starting to wear on her sleep. She has been to her primary doc, an ENT a couple times and none of the prescription stuff or OTC stuff gives much relief. She's been allergy tested and was pretty much all clear on that. At this point she is willing to give acupuncture a try. I'm hoping someone can put us onto something out of the box to help with this.
Thanks

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

For many years, at least once annually, I had to go to a doctor and get antibiotics for a sinus infection. About 10 years ago, I was given a “Neti Pot” by my daughter. I’ve not been to a doctor for a sinus infection since. It may be worth considering for your wife’s issue....it may justify the $20 experiment! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Make sure you sterilize it frequently.

Fungal and Amoeba brain infections can be bad.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
does she have GERD, acid reflux ?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by slumlord
does she have GERD, acid reflux ?

I have/had acid reflux and and sinus problems, too. I'm on OTC Lansoprazole but I think it's losing its effect. I don't get reflux but I am coughing more.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
not on lisinopril or other blood pressure meds by chance? (Causes persistent cough).

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Loratadine.

OTC

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Might be worth a trip to the dentist if she hasn't had a checkup in a while. Decaying tooth roots can cause persistent sinus conditions, or so I have been told.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I have/had acid reflux and and sinus problems, too. I'm on OTC Lansoprazole but I think it's losing its effect. I don't get reflux but I am coughing more.

Same here. I have tried the Neti pot, Flonase, NaslCort. None works.Now I use Afrin once day although you are not suppose to use it long term . A lot of the coughing comes from the esophagus being inflamed. I eat a lot of the Costco brand of Tums and take Pantaprozole (40mg x2 per day).Then Pepcid in the evening. It cuts the reflux,but not the coughing.

Episodes goes like this. My mouth gets dry ,then I feel like I have 10 extra saliva glands. Saliva is the first part of digestion so it goes along with acid production). Then I start to get acid buildup and coming up my esophagus.Next sinus starts to drain. There seems to be some connection between the two. Particularly bad in the evening. 2 sniffs of Afrin and 3 doses of 4 Tums each usually put at stop it to some degree.

Hyoscyamine put under the tongue helps some for runny nose, but it is mostly used for esophagus spasms. Some blood pressure medications like Carvidilol also cause runny nose.

One trick I do is use a CBD cream ( Ugly Butter Nightime) Mostly for arthritis pain, but it helps me get to sleep quick.Like 4-5 minutes. If not, I lay there coughing 1-2hours

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Neti pot us a good suggestion.
Originally Posted by memtb

For many years, at least once annually, I had to go to a doctor and get antibiotics for a sinus infection. About 10 years ago, I was given a “Neti Pot” by my daughter. I’ve not been to a doctor for a sinus infection since. It may be worth considering for your wife’s issue....it may justify the $20 experiment! memtb

+1. Found out about it after noticing my "allergies" improved greatly for a few days anytime I went snorkeling bin saltwater. Went looking for a way to do it at home and found there was already a thing. They sell squirt bottles to use on the go.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife uses NeilMed sinus rinse. Was recommended by my PA. Helps with her sinus problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ENT mechanic prescribed Ipratropium Bromide spray to dry up my post nasal drip after he burned out the blockage in my deviated septum.
It works pretty good, might ask the doc to try that if they haven't already.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might try Vick's First Defense which one can buy on Amazon.
It is designed for stopping colds (works well for that too) but it dries up sinuses as well.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
not on lisinopril or other blood pressure meds by chance? (Causes persistent cough).

As a matter of fact, yes. But that's been quite a few years since I started. My stomach seems to give occasional spasms, not like nausea but just movement.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lisinopril and Carvidilol will cause a dry cough. I take both andtake Benzonatate for that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The ENT mechanic prescribed Ipratropium Bromide spray to dry up my post nasal drip after he burned out the blockage in my deviated septum.
It works pretty good, might ask the doc to try that if they haven't already.

Helps me.
Hate the [bleep], tastes bad, and I have to use it before eating or sipping a coffee.
Otherwise, the excess can blister my throat.

The neti pot also helps.
I use the spray bottle one. Easier, use it right at the sink.

OP,
I have the exact same deal as you wife.
Constant crap running down my throat.
Sometimes something will break loose and it's a bunch.
No nose dripping, nothing to blow.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/16/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"She's been allergy tested and was pretty much all clear on that."

I've never heard of anybody who wasn't allergic to something. My son's wife is addicted to sugarless chewing gum and she has problems with her stomach hurting all the time. I told her that when she chews gum (even sugarless) her mouth creates saliva and when she swallows it her stomach reacts by secreting acid to digest the food it thinks it's going to get. Chewing gum also makes your nose run just like it does anytime you eat anything.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bud's are popping and it's pollen season in my AO. I have chronic sinusitis. This is my ENT's instructions:

Make a simple saline flush of 8oz sterile (boiled or distilled) water along with a 1/2 tsp each of Kosher salt and baking soda. Use a bulb and irrigate each nostril twice a day. Flush out all the contaminants. Use antihistamine for rhinitis and decongestant for congestion. Use Afrin only very sparingly because of rebound.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

f-ck lisinopril , that chit had me coughing so bad I pulled the muscles in my lower abdomen.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

f-ck lisinopril , that chit had me coughing so bad I pulled the muscles in my lower abdomen.

I tried it for about 3 months a few years back.

Started to think I had TB. lol

MD switched me over to nifedipine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,817
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.