Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
These threads make it apparent who has or has not taken high level training and who does the work to achieve and maintain competency. I have been schooled regularly since 1980 on my own dime and while getting paid. I learned a lot and progressed to a certain level of competence. I tested myself for years by competing regularly in USPSA, IDPA and Inter agency matches.

Learning is a process of evolution and everything that I think and do has changed over time.

Since 9/11 guys like Paul Howe, Kyle Lamb, John McPhee, Kyle DeFoor, Travis Haley and others have made training based on real life experience and a dedication to excellence available to us normal folks. Simply stated modern weapons, tactics and procedures are vastly different and far superior from those of "the good old days"

Those that fail to recognize that fact cling to the old ways and sound foolish when trying to defend their lack of self improvement.

as always,YMMV

mike r

Wait, you mean guys with tons of real world, post 9/11 experience don't use 1980's and 1990's tactics anymore?!?!??

Mind.

Blown.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
grin Ain't it amazing. What is more of a shocker is how many folks still believe that they can predict the future. Modern trainers don't quote statistics and tell you what will "probably" occur. They demonstrate a path that allows those that will put in the effort to maximize their potential and therefore be more prepared for any event. Mindset is a topic that the pros have taught since I was a child and is still the foundation for clear thought and focused training.

As far as worst case scenarios, mine is failing to respond effectively because I was too lazy or complacent to learn.

Jorge, if you think you are good enough you are fooling yourself.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is pretty much impossible to constantly be prepared for the worst case scenario unless you are carrying an AR, extra mags, wearing body armor and employing a point man.
I feel it’s enough to carry a a 9MM or a .45 semi auto (or a .357 or other revolver), reloads and do your practicing at both short and linger ranges. Mind set is important as well. May the Force be with you!

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
It is pretty much impossible to constantly be prepared for the worst case scenario unless you are carrying an AR, extra mags, wearing body armor and employing a point man.

I disagree. Tactics may need to change a bit, if possible, and the outcome may vary, just like anything else in life.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There seems to be a mindset among many gun owners in which they feel that simply because they own a gun they are now a gunfighter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Phrases like "worst case scenario" get thrown around way too carelessly.

No, but people do pretend to take obviously hyperbolic phrases literally in an effort to seem intelligent way too often.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Phrases like "worst case scenario" get thrown around way too carelessly.

No, but people do pretend to take obviously hyperbolic phrases literally in an effort to seem intelligent way too often.

Sorry you think that. I would have thought my subsequent posts made clear that I know I am decidedly un-intelligent when it comes to these matters and am trying to learn what "worse case scenario" means to those who have a take on that. I only have the words in someone's post to go by and the phrase tells me little or nothing about how much firepower is desirable to have on hand and how that is decided on. I'll admit I got a little snarky when I couldn't get a direct answer to that. I do try to ask intelligent questions, sorry if that bothered you.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by jorgeI
... And as far as police are concerned, those stats are accurate and proof positive I can outshoot most of them and as to dealing with stress, I think I can do that better than most.. So yeah, it was an interesting study.

What police statistics are you referring to?

STATS

One of many...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[

mike r

Good enough for what? to shoot at a target better than most? then the answer is yes. As to a combat situation involving a gunfight? I have no idea. My only experiences in that regard are the whispy puffs of AAA...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[

mike r

Good enough for what? to shoot at a target better than most? then the answer is yes. As to a combat situation involving a gunfight? I have no idea. My only experiences in that regard are the whispy puffs of AAA...

I'd wager that a retired fighter pilot would have nerves of steel and perform well in any stressful situation

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I know that several on here have said very similar things as the article. But, there are still many on here who think they will only get the fight that they've planned for and their little snub-nose will do the trick. I hope that they never have to have that fight, and if they do, they are right. I hope that I'll never have to get in one of those situations, but if I do I'll be as prepared as I can be for the worst case scenario (both in practice and in what I'm carrying).

What is that worst case scenario? And how are you equipped to handle it?

Originally Posted by jwp475
My moto is prepair for the worst, hope for the best

And again, what is the worst? And how are you prepared for it?

How are you prepared to handle it?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don’t have much use for pistols.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I don’t have much use for pistols.

Originally Posted by pabucktail

Are you packing a single shot blackpowder horse pistol? Transition to sabre after the shot?

whistle whistle

Taken OUT of contest & applied here for 'humor' grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I'd wager that a retired fighter pilot Torpedo bomber would have nerves of steel and perform well in any stressful situation

Fixed..... I have no ego... smile

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'd wager that a retired fighter pilot Torpedo bomber would have nerves of steel and perform well in any stressful situation

Fixed..... I have no ego... smile

Same nerves of a steel I'd wager, carrier based as well

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There seems to be a mindset among many gun owners in which they feel that simply because they own a gun they are now a gunfighter.

Are you directing that toward gun owners in general, or the posters on this thread. Take a look at who's actually posting. I see a lot of vet, guy who wore, or still wear a badge, competitive shooters, trainers, and more than a few who've actually been shot at. Not everyone behind a keyboard is just a keyboard commando.

There's a lot of real been-there-done-that guys on this forum.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I wonder if these stats are a chicken-egg situation.

If most concealed carriers carry small round count pistols and primarily practice at close range, should we be surprised that most civilian shootings involve low round counts at close range?......Which convince more folks to carry small round count pistols and practice at close range.

Love or hate him - Clint sorta touches on this with some stats from the 80's vs 90's. Crux is basically - regardless of platform, people tend to shoot till empty and that is different than shooting with hits. 2 different numbers.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would choose Jorge for landing a plane on an aircraft carrier. And I would choose a guy like Jim Cirillo to win a gunfight.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I would choose Jorge for landing a plane on an aircraft carrier. And I would choose a guy like Jim Cirillo to win a gunfight.

What about Bill Allard

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

What about Bill Allard

Roger that.
Bob

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 14,411 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,963
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.