Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CAS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I admit it, I am out of the loop. Several times lately someone has posted that people were "drinking the Cool Aid". What the hell does that mean?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm going to guess Jim Jones.

"Fearing retribution, the project members discuss their options. They reach a consensus to commit group suicide. Most appear to have committed suicide by drinking a grape drink laced with cyanide and a number of sedatives, including liquid Valium, Penegram and chloral hydrate. Some sources say it was Kool-Aid; others say FlaVor-Aid�. "

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was a term from the 70's IIRC.
Had to do with puttin acid (Hippy Drug)in a cool-aid type drink.
Makes ya delusional/see things that ain't really there.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It is a referance to Jim Jones and the Guana murder suicides of about thirty years ago. The poison the were given was put in a fruit drink like kool aid. The victims all followed the commands of the "spiritual master and drank looking for whatever nirvana they had been promised. So the term Kool Aid drinking was coined as a person or persons who follow something or some one blindly no matter how off the wall, or stupid they are.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buying into a particular idea, the implication being that the idea is bogus, and the Kool-Aid drinker is being fooled.

Jim Jones was a cult leader that inspired many of his followers to commit suicide by drinking Kool-Aid laced with cyanide in Guyana.

Drinking the Kool-Aid is a reference to that event.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick nailed it.
Hammered it flat and nailed it down.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even a blind mouse ... grin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thank goodness this isn't another political thread!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Not yet....

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by isaac
Thank goodness this isn't another political thread!!

......and don't start.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Yes sir!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by isaac
Yes sir!!

arrrrrgh grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
George W made them do it of course...

CAS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, one and all. I learned something new today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Hammered it flat and nailed it down.

Just realized that this expression may not be all that clear to everybody here.

When I was a kid in the old rural South during the Depression, it was a common po' fo'ks practice to flatten empty cans and lids and nail 'em down over knot holes and rat holes. Really po' fo'ks even roofed buildings with flattened cans nailed in place like shingles.

Thus the quoted expression became a personal figure of speech for me.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....As an expression of being deluded "he's been drinking the cool aid" was being used before Jim Jones and the mass suicide associated with his cult occurred (mid 1970's). The expression began use earlier, connected to the Ken Kesley "Electric cool aid acid test". Journalist and talking heads began saying 'he's been drinking the cool aid" to described a person who displayed out of the ordinary thought or action. The expression was being used in the late 1960's, the Jim Jones debacle had yet to occur.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. Learn something new every day.

When you hear it now, what does it mean to you? I never had that frame of reference.

rb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wasn't all wrong smile

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...To me it still refers to a person who displays delusional, or far out of the ordinarily accepted thinking/action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by olhippie
....As an expression of being deluded "he's been drinking the cool aid" was being used before Jim Jones and the mass suicide associated with his cult occurred (mid 1970's). The expression began use earlier, connected to the Ken Kesley "Electric cool aid acid test". Journalist and talking heads began saying 'he's been drinking the cool aid" to described a person who displayed out of the ordinary thought or action. The expression was being used in the late 1960's, the Jim Jones debacle had yet to occur.

"We are all doomed to spend our lives watching a movie of our lives . . ."

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,819
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.