Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlegun
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I very much hate the heritage. Every time someone wants one 2 employees are tied up for an hour for a $109 piece of [bleep] pot metal toy. Always a deaf old guy and always screw up their 4473 and Don't listen to a damn thing we say, wants to re-live 1951 and will shoot it 20 times and leave it in the closet.

We just roll our eyes when someone asks for one. What a waste of time and manpower.

The wrangler seems quite nice in comparison and is a good deal.

It takes the shop I use one person and about about 10-15 minutes to sell a gun.

It sounds to me like mjbgalt has a hate on for senior citizens. While he may regard every old guy as a stupid no-nothing old fart, the truth is that a lot of us have forgotten more about guns than most guns clerks will ever learn.

I get this a lot as an old guy in my 60s, based solely on appearance. I get branded as an ignorant Fudd, even though I have owned and shot everything from cap & ball revolvers, to a bunch of military rifles, to target .22's, to numerous autoloading pistols, to Old West rifles and revolvers,to AR-15's and AK's, and even to SMG's.

I'm not your typical old fart weekend hunter at all. I know my stuff.

And PaulBarnard is right. Bargain-priced guns sell fast.

Especially if you are respectful and polite to the people that buy them, instead of contemptuous and ignorant.

Just simply ignore mjbgalt

LMAO

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
@Paul Barnard

I hear you when you talk about some customers being uninformed and and blowhards.
I've seen them and experienced them.

And, you're right that some old guys will come in to chat and won't buy anything, while regaling you with their past experiences that you don't have time to listen to.

But, some older guys like myself have done their homework and know what they want.
When I walk in to a gun shop these days it is to buy something, or at least look at a very specific gun very carefully and make a decision whether I want it.
I might buy it on the spot, reject it outright, or give myself a day or two to make a decision.
I have already researched it on-line, checked reviews and forum posts, and studied disassembly diagrams.

What pisses me off and puts a gun shop on my boycott list is rudeness, indifference, elitist contempt and being judged by my appearance.

I am well-groomed, keep my hair cut, and dress neatly but casually.
But I am obviously over 60 and carrying more weight than I should.
And, I have encountered clerks who won't give me the time of day for some reason.

Really though, it's their loss.
There is a gun shop in Calgary that has Old West repro guns on the rack that I like, but I haven't bought anything from them.
However, I have found and bought those same guns elsewhere instead.
I never figured out why they seemed to treat me with contempt, but it matters not.
They have plenty of competition, and I got what I needed from that competition.
And I always make a point to advise people not to shop in there.

Bass Pro in Airdrie, Alberta, same thing.
Arrogant and indifferent clerks and management.

But I have found plenty of gun shops in Alberta that I very much like. The clerks are polite and responsive, and I have bought guns and ammo and supplies from all of them.
Their shipping is prompt if I mail order and their on-line inventory is always accurate.

When I speak on the phone with their staff, it is obvious that their management has educated them well, and that they are very aware how important that these things are in order to preserve customer loyalty and maximize their sales.

The clerks in these gun shops understand that they profit by their attitude as well, because it is reflected in how I have been treated by them.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
@Paul Barnard

I hear you when you talk about some customers being uninformed and and blowhards.
I've seen them and experienced them.

And, you're right that some old guys will come in to chat and won't buy anything, while regaling you with their past experiences that you don't have time to listen to.

But, some older guys like myself have done their homework and know what they want.
When I walk in to a gun shop these days it is to buy something, or at least look at a very specific gun very carefully and make a decision whether I want it.
I might buy it on the spot, reject it outright, or give myself a day or two to make a decision.
I have already researched it on-line, checked reviews and forum posts, and studied disassembly diagrams.

What pisses me off and puts a gun shop on my boycott list is rudeness, indifference, elitist contempt and being judged by my appearance.

And, I have encountered clerks who won't give me the time of day for some reason.

There is a gun shop in Calgary that has Old West repro guns on the rack that I like, but I haven't bought anything from them.
However, I have found and bought those same guns elsewhere instead.
I never figured out why they seemed to treat me with contempt, but it matters not.
They have plenty of competition, and I got what I needed from that competition.
And I always make a point to advise people not to shop in there.

Bass Pro in Airdrie, Alberta, same thing.
Arrogant and indifferent clerks and management.

But I have found plenty of gun shops in Alberta that I very much like. The clerks are polite and responsive, and I have bought guns and ammo and supplies from all of them.
Their shipping is prompt if I mail order and their on-line inventory is always accurate.

When I speak on the phone with their staff, it is obvious that their management has educated them well, and that they are very aware how important that these things are in order to preserve customer loyalty and maximize their sales.

The clerks in these gun shops understand that they profit by their attitude as well, because it is reflected in how I have been treated by them.

Many years ago I worked in the Coast Guard exchange store in Kodiak. I worked in the sporting goods section. We had a decent selection of guns. Two customers I well remember. One was a young active duty guy who asked to hold just about every gun behind the counter the first time I saw him. I politely obliged and even joked with him a bit. He'd come in every so often and want to see more guns. I politely obliged. You see, he was a young lower enlisted guy with big dreams and a small bank account. I was happy to feed his dreams. We ended up becoming best friends and remain so to this day. I don't know if he ever bought anything back then, but he has a crap ton of guns now.

Another one was an older (70ish) guy. He was physically a small guy and when he spoke, he spoke with a bit of an impediment. The first few times he came in, I honestly thought he might be some kind of special needs person. I was always polite and accommodating. The more he came in, the more I realized he was actually very smart, and he also knew his stuff. He was a retired Navy KOrean vet. I ended up befriending him. He had some great stories. He was too old to hunt but loved venison. We set it up so that I could hunt by proxy for him my last year there. He was very good at gunsmithing and helped me tune a few rifles. He also helped me when I was learning to reload. RIP Fred, you were a goodun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I got mine from Bud's, don't mess with locals.

I know, I know, support your LGS, but the ones I have access to aren't that impressive, aren't something I care to support. Or, said another way, they don't deserve my support, haven't earned my support.

My Wrangler shoots pretty close to POA and is about as accurate as my Single Six Flat Gate. Trigger is pretty good, considering.

I think Ruger knocked this one out the park, home run. Lot of gun for the buck.

DF

We don't have a good local one either. Jefferson Gun is just horrible in terms of price, selection and service. Puglias is good for what they have, but they are fairly limited. The counter help ALWAYS greets me.

Over on the MS Coast Dad's Super Pawn is outstanding in selection and price. They have had some good employees over the years and some goobs.

Cooks in D'iberville has a fair selection, fair prices and very helpful employees. They aren't overly warm and don't have bubbly personalities, but once you get to know them, they are truly solid.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a Wrangler recently and have really enjoyed it. My first revolver of any kind. I don't own any collector's item guns, so I haven't felt self conscious about owning and liking it. I have just really had a blast learning to be a better shot while working a single action revolver. The sights are a non issue for me because if I hunt with a 22 I'm taking my rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I've walked up to the gun counter at Cabela's with cash in my pocket, ready to make a purchase, and I will be unable to get anyone to give me the time of day. I'm not as young looking as I used to be but am still mistaken for someone in college, although I am ten years older than college age. If I'm at Cabela's, though, it's because the other stores didn't have what I wanted. I will grin and bear it and eventually flag someone down to help me. Interestingly enough, even when they know I'm a serious purchaser they still don't treat me with much politeness. It bugged me at first but has since stopped bothering me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never owned a Heritage but have read the cylinder gaps run about .012-.014.

I have a Wrangler that's .004, about the same as Single-Sixes, Bearcats, and Colt 22 single actions.

Good chance those Hertiages are loud and have some velocity loss.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I very much hate the heritage. Every time someone wants one 2 employees are tied up for an hour for a $109 piece of [bleep] pot metal toy. Always a deaf old guy and always screw up their 4473 and Don't listen to a damn thing we say, wants to re-live 1951 and will shoot it 20 times and leave it in the closet.

We just roll our eyes when someone asks for one. What a waste of time and manpower.

It should take 15 min. But all the stupid red tape involved and the old guys effing up and starting paperwork again. Two of us tied up for 30 min is an hour. That's what i meant

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And as for hating senior citizens? Get real. I dislike jerks regardless of age. And after the 3rd time of explaining how to fill out the form and they ignore our instructions...it gets very irritating.

Point is that for several reasons those guns are the most annoying to sell.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/13/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It sounds to me like mjbgalt has a hate on for senior citizens. While he may regard every old guy as a stupid no-nothing old fart, the truth is that a lot of us have forgotten more about guns than most guns clerks will ever learn.

I get this a lot as an old guy in my 60s, based solely on appearance. I get branded as an ignorant Fudd, even though I have owned and shot everything from cap & ball revolvers, to a bunch of military rifles, to target .22's, to numerous autoloading pistols, to Old West rifles and revolvers,to AR-15's and AK's, and even to SMG's.

I'm not your typical old fart weekend hunter at all. I know my stuff.

And PaulBarnard is right. Bargain-priced guns sell fast.

Especially if you are respectful and polite to the people that buy them, instead of contemptuous and ignorant.

Gun shop employees are typically low wage flunkees who can't find work doing anything else. It is not unusual for them to hold some level of contempt toward customers. It's actually pretty common in specialty retail. If the customer really does know their schidt, the customer is a pig-headed know-it-all. If the customer doesn't know anything, they are a dumbass.

I know what it's like being behind the counter too. I have worked in several gun shops. You do have customers who are frighteningly ill informed. You also have blowhards who are flat out wrong. Then there are those bored old timers. It takes a little art to keep them from being a major time suck. It can take good diplomatic skills to find the sweet spot with the various kinds of customers. If you are going to, you have to be willing to. It can take humility. It can take patience. It must be rooted in an appreciation for the fact that the annoyance is what puts food on your table. It is impossible, if you hold the customer in contempt for any reason.

Good posts by both Saddlegun and PaulBarnard.

I too spent many years behind a gunstore counter and managed two big gun stores many years ago before I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry many more years.
You see EVERY type of customer and it requires lots of patience and good diplomacy. A little Conflict Resolution skill helps too. It’s definitely not a job for just anyone. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
POS

Coyotes shot no waiting.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mountaineer89

I've walked up to the gun counter at Cabela's with cash in my pocket, ready to make a purchase, and I will be unable to get anyone to give me the time of day. I'm not as young looking as I used to be but am still mistaken for someone in college, although I am ten years older than college age. If I'm at Cabela's, though, it's because the other stores didn't have what I wanted. I will grin and bear it and eventually flag someone down to help me. Interestingly enough, even when they know I'm a serious purchaser they still don't treat me with much politeness. It bugged me at first but has since stopped bothering me.

I hear ya. I don't expect much from Canuck Cabelas and I am usually not disappointed. grin

However, I still buy from them, if they have what I want.

However, basic job indifference and deliberate rudeness are two different things.

I buy from a gun shop in Central Alberta in a small town, off on it's own.
The staff are good people, but the owner is a bit of a dick, to put it bluntly.
(That opinion is shared by others.)

And that owner stays away from the sales counter usually.

Nevertheless, the shop has nice stuff, and I drop in whenever I get the chance.
I have bought several guns there, because the guys behind the counter actually wanted to sell guns and showed me guns when I asked.

The shops that I boycott took their rudeness to extremes.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
And as for hating senior citizens? Get real. I dislike jerks regardless of age. And after the 3rd time of explaining how to fill out the form and they ignore our instructions...it gets very irritating.

If you dislike jerks, you should avoid mirrors. grin

Everything that you have said so far screams the fact that you should find a job outside the retail sector.

Face it man. You hate people.

That's fine. Many do.

But go drive a forklift or something instead.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol I guess that post isn't totally inaccurate. Just had 20 years of dealing with other people's messes.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/14/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When my college roommate and I hit the gunstores in Fargo in the early 90s, we had no money. Places figured that out and weren't too happy to see us. Except the one guy who figured out we might be future customers, and was always willing to let us look at a gun and discuss things with us. Roommate ended up working about 150 miles away, and became a very good customer for that salesman. Never hurts to be polite!

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have one. Works for what it is. It’s just a truck/pack gun.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
oddly enough it was a salesman at the least friendly, tactical wannabe, lgs that turned me onto single action revolvers. a quiet, small, rotund, asian kid with coke-bottle glasses, and the totally incongruous and polish name of stasiu (stanley), took the time at the neglected revolver display to show me ruger single action revolvers. i was hooked and walked out with a new $450 single six. not too long later i chatted up stasiu again, and he pointed me to a pristine bearcat that came from an estate sale and was gathering cobwebs. i got it for $250. sadly stasiu moved on from that lgs and so did my gunbuying. this lgs now has new ruger wranglers “on sale for $289” (sic), which is a good $100 over what i paid elsewhere.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K

Just cause they are available, a dealer doesn't have to sell them. Drop the line, or just tack on $45 to the price and not sell as many.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 49 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.