Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just took a Smith & Wesson model 19 out for a concealed carry class. I had recently bought this S&W off the internet. The revolver shot well at the ranges for the class. However, it also shot shards of lead which hit all around the target - I was shooting light 38 Special cast round nose ammo. I suspect the timing is off or... Please PM me if you're a Pistol Smith and if you're interested in fixing the problem. If you're in South Dakota that would be a plus. Thanks.
On the other hand, would this be a simple fix such as replacing a part?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try jacketed bullets before you go much further. The problem may be the bullet and not the gun. I own a model 19 and the lockup is perfect and I can't see that changing unless the gun was badly abused. I bought my model 19 in 1979 and it's still a solid shooter.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I just took a Smith & Wesson model 19 out for a concealed carry class. I had recently bought this S&W off the internet. The revolver shot well at the ranges for the class. However, it also shot shards of lead which hit all around the target - I was shooting light 38 Special cast round nose ammo. I suspect the timing is off or... Please PM me if you're a Pistol Smith and if you're interested in fixing the problem. If you're in South Dakota that would be a plus. Thanks.
On the other hand, would this be a simple fix such as replacing a part?

No. The parts used generally require hand fitting. If the timing is off the gun will be spitting lead out of the cylinder gap. How does the forcing cone look? Simple test, set up a piece of cardboard on each side of the gun when shooting (like in a shooting booth at an indoor range) to capture any spray.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I thought - both of your comments. I own a few S&W's and this is the first of this that I've seen this. I'll put a piece of cardboard on the side. Any idea what could have caused this, if it isn't timing?

These 38 Special handloads were mild cast 200 grain round nose bullets powered by Bullseye. The rounds were quite old and I didn't mind using them up at this class. I didn't cast these bullets as I don't have the mold for this bullet. Do you suppose it could have been caused by soft lead?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It would be a SWAG on my part, did you have cardboard backers on the targets of just the target sheet hanging? If no backers I'd suspect bullet splash off of the backstop. I've gotten hit by lead coming off the backstop a few times while shooting PPC matches, especially during the twelve rounds in twenty five seconds stage. The only time I've seen weird holes in the target face is when we got a bad batch of swedged hollow based wad cutters, we were blowing the skirts off of the bullets even with light powder loads.

If you were having timing issues the shooter to either side of you would be b!tching unless you were shooting in a range with booths...

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You can check the timing and lock up yourself. There's how-to content on youtube. A simple way is to use a flashlight from the muzzle.

I suspect old hardened bullet lube is what splattered the target. Its hard to tell from here.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Earlyagain
I feel your explanation seems quite reasonable. The only complaint I had and some of the shooters around me was hot brass coming from the shooter on the left. My wife and I were the only shooters with wheel guns everyone else it seems shot either 22’s or 9mm’s - in semi-autos. She shot a perfect score BTW.
I don’t want to start a pissing contest but there were numerous issues with the semi-autos malfunctioning. Which is not too serious at the firing line, but in the middle of the night and the intruder is carrying a machete... Err excuse me sir, please hold it right there while I turn on the lights and try to clear my weapon.

Many of these shooters seemed to be a might unfamiliar with handguns.

We were darn close to the targets when these extra holes appeared on the targets.
I shot a 1/2” group with these loads (10 rounds) at 10 feet. Which is really nothing to brag about, but to me showed ammo or gun not an issue. I suspected that it was nothing to be concerned about. The instructor however was quite alarmed. I was thinking I’d check it out. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/17/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best bang for your buck is to have Ahlman's tune your S&W and ream the forcing cone. I have them do this work on all of my shooting revolvers.

www.ahlmans.com

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Checking out a possible concern is something to do at the work bench or kitchen table.

If your satisfied with the guns performance. That's great. I have two model 19's. One is specifically for EDC.. Im sold on them. Excellent guns.

Carry on and enjoy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Insure your pistol is clear, aim it in a safe direction. Squeeze the trigger slowly double action. Just before the hammer falls grab the cylinder with your off hand and try to spin it in either direction. Lock up should be fairly tight. Check all six chambers. You might be lucky enough to find a local gun shop that has a range rod to test the timing, preferably the "match range rod".

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the bullets are not tumbling I would go with the grease had hardened and it is hitting the target. If it is still giving you problems Cylinder and Slide is in Fremont Nebraska and you could talk with them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
You can fix the timing with a new hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g8kMFpI9M

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use to be a S&W authorized repair shop. Till they changed the rules for us smiths to do there work. The problem you have i would say have to do with what your
me shooting, not a timing problem. PM me and we can talk more about it

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.