Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Never done spring bear, actually haven’t hunted Montana yet. Buddy and I going to be packing into a few areas for a few days . Weather looks good, I’m excited. Now I just have to try to sleep a little tonight before catching the flight .

Can’t wait.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wishing you a fun trip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
we need pics. when you get back

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh there will be pics, hopefully with a big fluffy bear in them!

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh heck yeah. I am looking forward to the report. Don't get chewed on.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Never done spring bear, actually haven’t hunted Montana yet. Buddy and I going to be packing into a few areas for a few days . Weather looks good, I’m excited. Now I just have to try to sleep a little tonight before catching the flight .

Can’t wait.

MM

Awesome. Good luck. What area?

MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Going east of Missoula, couple spots to try there and we may move up to kalispel If we strike out there.

MM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good luck, hope you score. I was going to go out in my backyard in Idaho but my foot and ankle got inflamed from arthritis and i cant walk so im laid up for awhile. At least someone is going after them

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Best of luck. Heading over next week for bear

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good luck and let us know how it goes

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got to camp last night and glasses for and hour or so. It was a couple hour hike,probably wouldn’t take some of you that long but oh well we got there. Got up this morning and spotted a bear at the top of an avalanche shoot but he was a couple mile away so we put a pin in that one and will save it for another day maybe. Lots of elk and mulies too and the weather couldn’t be better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking forward to updates

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With one day to go, 3 bear sightings but nothing within range or able to make a stalk on. Apparently ( since I’ve not done this before and wouldn’t know the difference) we came too early and the green up is late where we are at. Spoken with locals and a few other hunters that come out regularly and we’ve been fortunate to see what we have. Still been a good trip, lots of miles on the boots and plenty on the truck too. I’ll be back in the future, Lord willing, but will probably wait till later in May by a week or two.

God Bless,

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Hope you see one today! Good luck

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good luck to you!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What are the bars eating now? Hope it’s not you !

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
With one day to go, 3 bear sightings but nothing within range or able to make a stalk on. Apparently ( since I’ve not done this before and wouldn’t know the difference) we came too early and the green up is late where we are at. Spoken with locals and a few other hunters that come out regularly and we’ve been fortunate to see what we have. Still been a good trip, lots of miles on the boots and plenty on the truck too. I’ll be back in the future, Lord willing, but will probably wait till later in May by a week or two.

God Bless,

MM

I have to disagree with you being too early. Most of the guys I know (about 12 to 15 of them) have all tagged out already with 4 big boars down. I personally like hunting them fresh out the dens. They have been out of the dens for a few weeks now. Things being green has no effect on bears. They get out of the dens, they find food and water, the less food source the more they are traveling. Get off the roads, get behind gates, get in where there is less or no pressure, and Sit and Glass!!!!!!!!!!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's best right before it gets green to spot them feeding on hillsides.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know next to nothing about bear hunting in the spring as I was going off of what the locals were telling me. They said their sightings were way down for that week compared to previous years. I’m bringing my boys next year and will be fishing some too. Honestly would have waited a week based on fishing if I would have done my research properly. Every year is a learning experience I guess. All in all I really enjoyed it.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you had a great time MM.

The snowpack and green-up can vary widely each year. You did the best you could and no research can predict what winter and spring conditions will be like when you hit the bear hills.

I've seen years where the snowpack is still building in April and spring bear hunting can be a series of whiteouts. Go to early and sightings can be very limited. Go to late and the green up in the woods keeps the bears spread out and hidden from view under the canopy.

It's somewhat of a crapshoot every year due to weather and snowpack, but you just make the best of what you got.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,120 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.