Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Smoked and cured meat are not your friends. Jerky is verboten. Obviously booze of any kind and seafood. Tart cherry juice, not just cherry or black cherry, and drink a lot of it. Hydration with plenty of water during the day helps. If I have a flare up, I hit it with Thor's Hammer with a 5 day Prednisone dose. Haven't had a flare in two years since starting Allpurinol. Good stuff.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine for the flareup. Until you’re feeling gacky and shooting yellow flame out the tailpipe. Hate that stuff, but it works.

Then either Allopurinol or Uloric, depending on whether you are an over-producer or an under-excreter, if you need a daily.

I’d rather skip over the Advil or Indocin and go straight to prednisone if I’m hurting, but it’s been years since it’s been an issue for me since I started on the right pill.

Truth!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine for the flareup. Until you’re feeling gacky and shooting yellow flame out the tailpipe. Hate that stuff, but it works.

Then either Allopurinol or Uloric, depending on whether you are an over-producer or an under-excreter, if you need a daily.

I’d rather skip over the Advil or Indocin and go straight to prednisone if I’m hurting, but it’s been years since it’s been an issue for me since I started on the right pill.

+1…. Works for me too

Last edited by mrfudd; 05/17/21.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hydrate, lay off so much beer.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Colchicine and Indomethacin to get it under control. Once the episode has passed start Allopurinol or Uloric as a preventative to keep it away.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I get it occasionally in an old ankle sprain.

Another reason alcohol is not my friend.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Watch the sugar intake. Processed, refined, carbohydrates, high fructose corn syrup.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It takes a pretty good doctor to tell the difference between gout and pseudo-gout. I am plagued by pseudo-gout, according to my GP, about all can be done is OTC anti inflammatories and a schidt ton of water.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are terrible for your liver and kidneys but those 800mg ibuprofens work great. I am assuming that your doctor diagnosed the gout through blood tests or some other test. Was your ankle hot to the touch? Does it feel like you have ground up glass in your ankle? Never heard steroids get recommended or it only occurring in old injuries. Not saying it isn't gout, just never heard of that. I have only really heard of Allopurinol and Colchicine being prescribed for it. I take Allopurinol and have not had a flare up in over 10 years.

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from hiplaas.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well with two bad knees, get a replacement or suck it up. Nothing really helps. Some days are better than others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My uric acid levels are always above 7, I take allopurinol and colchicine daily. I have had gout battles for 20 years, you never know what is going to set that off.

I haven't seen or been told that old injuries have much to do with it. I've broken every bone in both legs and several in each foot...doesn't seem to be a factor. I have body wide rheumatoid arthritis as well. I have them all, Diclofenac, Fenoprofen Flurbiprofen Indomethacin ..probably won't have kidneys or a liver here soon enough.

welcome to hell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've learned to cope with my reconstructed ankle.
Getting old ain't for wimps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I suffer from a similar issue in both feet.. Nascent Iodine has really made a huge difference for me. I've been taking for about a year and it took three weeks to experience relief of the pain and inflammation.. Start off with the 14-16 drops per day and when it kicks in I dropped down to 5-6 drops per day.. Crazy, but it worked for me.. I've had complete big toe joint replacement in the right foot and some supporting hardware and have the left scheduled for July 15th.. FWIW..

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

** if you are eating Granola bars - STOP... it was causing my Gout flare ups, and I haven’t had one since I dropped them.

Bitter cherry juice does work well to kill a flare up as well.

It turns out that whole grain wheat raises Cain with allergic reactions & Gout... so Granola bars that are full of wheat & corn syrup ... are BAD, BAD stuff.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Amazing what one can learn hanging out here. I didn't know about any of this, but learned something today. Thanks

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I found that one out via my Allergist, who (now retired) was one of the best allergy research guys.

In the last couple of years they have found out that MILK & Whole Wheat are triggers for allergies and other reactions - so this is recently confirmed research.

I cutout Whole wheat (bread & granola bars) ... and Zero Gout flare ups now vs. 3-5 of them I was having the last 5 years.

I haven’t cut out Milk yet - but man it’s great not having Gout... and I don’t miss the whole wheat at all !!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.