Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16090233 05/16/21
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hello all, newbie here ! I have made a couple posts on the savage page and learn alot from reading here ! I have a nylon 66 that was burned up in a house fire and was wondering if anyone had info on stock replacement or experience with possible interchange with the CBC imports? Thanks in advance !

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one that I bought at a pawn shop that looked brand new. As I was walking out the door, I hit the butt stock on the door pull handle and cracked the stock. I tried taking it apart in order to repair it, but I was not smart enough to be able to get inside the butt stock cavity. I did manage a repair and made it look as good as possible, but I found out that it looked to me like the metal (internal parts) were encapsulated in the stock.
I will follow this in hopes of learning something as well.
Welcome to the fire.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that you're out of luck.

Pullet has it right, as the working part of the Nylon .22s are installed within the Nylon "frame" and are much more difficult to work on than most more traditional designs. The "receiver" is just a sheet metal cover and really only serves two purposes, a place to stamp the serial number and a place for the scope mounting grooves.

The CBC GR-8 were made with Remington molds, so that are probably the same, but I don't know that to be a fact.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I was afraid of that, the CBC looks near identical I was hoping someone had some input on interchangeability.
Seems the parts for these are really getting scarce

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The commercials about them on tv said the stocks were guaranteed for life, but that was about 60 years ago. Good luck.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With Remington filing bankruptcy, not sure the warranty is worth anything even if they would fix it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have made several failed attempts to contact Remington recently, I'm not sure how their warranty program is going, but their message replies are non existent thus far.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JustLucky
The commercials about them on tv said the stocks were guaranteed for life, but that was about 60 years ago. Good luck.

Yeah, whose life?

A fire hot enough to burn up that stock was probably was hot enough to ruin the metal parts.

I took a 66 apart for a good cleaning a number of years ago. I had to borrow a bud’s 66, remove the sheet metal receiver cover to see how the parts fit. I got it back together. Haven’t taken it apart again.

My gunsmith was impressed I was able to put it together. He said he’s gotten several, parts in a bag to reassemble.

DF

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Well FWIW the gun will still fire and cycle the RH side is just extra crispy I hope I'm not the only one out here that's thought of or attempted plastic surgery on one of these

S
S
I've got one you can have if you want it. How do I get it to you?
John

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Just received my stock from Samthedog thanks again! You guys on this group are awsome ! I hope someday soon I get the opportunity to pay it forward ! Thank you guys for the help will post pics when I get the metal back in order and all the pieces back in !

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's a very good little rifle.

When they introduced the rifle, Remington staged a publicity event where Tom Frye, a trick shooter, shot many thousands of small wooden blocks tossed into the air, using a few Nylon 66 rifles in rotation. All survived unscathed and reliability was excellent.

My experience with mine was the same. Worked great, no jamming.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by saddlegun

When they introduced the rifle, Remington staged a publicity event where Tom Frye, a trick shooter, shot many thousands of small wooden blocks tossed into the air, using a few Nylon 66 rifles in rotation. All survived unscathed and reliability was excellent.

I had two of them. Basically they're fuggin junk as a rifle but they are pretty tough and will go bang quite dependably. Good coon rifle but that's about it. Otherwise they're a train wreck of a design for accuracy, have a terrible trigger and won't hold zero worth a damn when scoped.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by saddlegun

I had two of them. Basically they're fuggin junk as a rifle but they are pretty tough and will go bang quite dependably. Good coon rifle but that's about it. Otherwise they're a train wreck of a design for accuracy, have a terrible trigger and won't hold zero worth a damn when scoped.

I agree with both these... reliable and junk. Had one when it came out...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think I paid $72 for mine in 1971. What do you expect for that price?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The stock warranty expired before Remington did. Their stash of replacement stocks was depleted some years ago.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Well thankfully I have a stock now I've just gotta get the metal back in shape unfortunately i don't have any plating shops close so it may end up getting blued instead of the original nickle/chrome

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Are you sure that you are remembering what you paid correctly? I seem to recall that they were around $40 at that time.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Actually that was a quite a bit of money in 1971, using an inflation calculator that would be $475 in todays money.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Are you sure that you are remembering what you paid correctly? I seem to recall that they were around $40 at that time.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Actually that was a quite a bit of money in 1971, using an inflation calculator that would be $475 in todays money.

drover
Sears was selling them for 49.95 in 1968. Got the 1968 fall catalog right in front of me. You could get a Ruger 10/22 for 54.50 or a Marlin M99M1 for 49.95 from the same catalog so the nylon 66 fell right in line price wise with other popular semi auto's of the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.