Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have to use a cpap machine, so please don't turn this into a debate about alternatives to a cpap machine. What I don't have is a good reliable portable battery to run the machine, hence my camping days came to an abrupt halt. Does anyone have a good recommendation for portable battery or electric source (other than a generator) that can be used for more than a couple nights?

Is it Friday yet?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's a bit of a challenge.

My CPAP runs on 24 volts, up to 3.75 amps. So for round numbers, 96 watts. A good size RV battery will be rated at 125 amp hours, but it's best not to run it down past half capacity. So 62 amp hours x 12 volts = 744 watt hours, enough to run my CPAP for 7.75 hours if I had 100% conversion efficiency.

There are devices like this one available (cheap). It will take in 12 volts and give you anything you want from 1.2 to 35 volts out. In my case, I would set it for 24 volts, and feed my CPAP directly.

So lugging around a deep cycle battery will get you through about one night in camp.

After that, you have to recharge.

Yeah, it's a bummer. I have the same issue.

Last edited by denton; 05/19/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
if i turn off the water heater a portable jump battery jumper pack [ the old fashioned big one] will run my cpap for 3 nights.

it might depend on your machine, but two 12 v deer feeder batts will run mine for 2 nights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't bother taking mine to deer camp during season. Seems I sleep better after sitting around the campfire for a couple hours.

All American

All the time
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Doctor told mew I could go a week or more without any harm. I do it a couple of times a year and sleep fine.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My wife's Phillips system one Cpap only draws 14 watts on 12v and 22 off an inverter without the humidifier...Most of these solar generators will run it several nights.Running the humidifier on 12v and AC via an inverter is 60-80 watts an hour..She always goes without the humidifier while camping although I have the battery power to run it..The oxygen concentrator is another story and gets left home...

Jayco👍

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Its a bid adjustment for me to sleep with out my cpap. Not sure I could fall asleep. I forgot my powercord on a business trip for a night and I did get some sleep....

When the power goes off at home, I do not sleep until it comes back on.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I bring a good quality and obviously freshly topped off deep cycle battery (Costco) and an inverter and get 3.5-4 nights from my cpap.

Turning the humidifier off is a given as that will kill your charge fast

It’s a minor pain to lug the battery camping but is well worth it.

Last edited by Certifiable; 05/19/21.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just have your friend run his generator all night.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got sun? I have one of these 200W solar setups from Home Depot, under $300. SOLAR PANELS They work great although they don't come with a stand so you have to design your own. They will easily recharge my RV batteries in a few hours. The controller will handle up to 3 additional panels so you can expand it if needed. Extra panels are 100W each and cost about $100 each.

A lot of people put them on the roof of an RV. That seriously reduces their capacity as laying them flat is nowhere near the optimum angle. You need some way to angle them to about 45 degrees and turn them a couple times a day to face the sun. Also, you have to park in the sun. I'd rather park in the shade.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 2-pack of this and it gets me through 2 nights: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps-freedom-travel-cpap-battery-kit.

Bit of a pain to charge them though. Got switch the wiring around etc. etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those Home Depot solar kits will also handle lithium batteries. With today's tech, there's no need whatever to give up camping because of some dead batteries.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I have a 2-pack of this and it gets me through 2 nights: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps-freedom-travel-cpap-battery-kit.

Bit of a pain to charge them though. Got switch the wiring around etc. etc.
Your link says no longer available.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Those Home Depot solar kits will also handle lithium batteries. With today's tech, there's no need whatever to give up camping because of some dead batteries.

do they have voltage regulators?
over charging lithiums tends to kill them doesn't it?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Big Sky
I have to use a cpap machine, so please don't turn this into a debate about alternatives to a cpap machine. What I don't have is a good reliable portable battery to run the machine, hence my camping days came to an abrupt halt. Does anyone have a good recommendation for portable battery or electric source (other than a generator) that can be used for more than a couple nights?

Solar generators aka power stations will run your cpap for several nights depending on the size you choose..Bluetti and Jackery are the top selling and most reliable brands..They charge fairly fast off of solar/electricity or your car 12v system..Perfect for Cpap machines...

Jayco👍

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Up for any other advice. I try not to leave mine at home either. I can sleep without it. I just create an issue for anybody within a couple miles trying to sleep if I don't use it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

do they have voltage regulators?
over charging lithiums tends to kill them doesn't it?

I have a lifepo4 120ah battery and portable solar panels...The charge controller regulates the power from the solar panels to the battery and the Lithium setting is usually labeled as user mode and you put in the parameters for your specific lithium battery into the controller as they do differ somewhat..If your setting are set properly,they will not over charge,same goes for VRLA AGM batteries..You need the proper settings for the type of battery you use and most solar controllers only have generic settings...

The BMS in a lithium (lifepo4) battery will shut if off before it over charges also..A good lithium battery has a cold battery shut off and an over charge shut off along with the shorts all built into the BMS...A lithium battery without a BMS is asking for disaster..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I also have a couple solar generators,this one will run my AC/Coffee maker and microwave plus the Cpap and one 100 watt solar panel keeps it full so far..There are other smaller less expensive ones for just a Cpap..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jayco

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mines an old Phillip's that's 110v but there was a 12v rv battery converter availible for about $100. With an ordinary deep cycle marine battery .it would run 5 nights easy. Talk to the folks who supply your CPAP NEEDS. They'll know, probably have them on hand. Mines very quiet I just used a cheap plastic wash tub on the tent floor, put the battery in it and hook it up. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.