Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have what I believe is a special order standard straight grip stock factory made from winchester. Everything checks out. Correct checkering, swivels,metal butt plate with the widows peak. Has the oval tang NOT dolls head. Looks like a pre 64 action will drop right in. I will try one in it this week. The stock or butt plate have no special markings on them anywhere. Other person did sand off the finish but didnt refinish it. According to Rules book one could order these. Any body ever see one of these? If anyone would like to post picture of it PM your phone #. TY

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Confirming that Roger Rule in "The Rifleman's Rifle", @ p. 256 devotes two sentences in affirming straight grip stocks were offered. Quoting:
"Another unusual alteration, a straight grip stock, was built on request for a short time. These were intermittently furnished in the early '50s and suspended around 1955." On page 257 following, there are several photos of such, one straight comb and one Monte Carlo style. Many year ago I saw a low comb pre 64 Model 70 straight grip stock which was converted due to damaged pistol grip area. The wrist seemed a bit thin, such compared to the more robust '03 Springfield genre. But otherwise the Model 70 Standard weight looked OK for a "fixer upper", if a bit muzzle heavy and disproportionate.
Especially without original finish and vintage appearance it might be hard sell as "original". For 'kicks' purpose, a Featherweight would seem more appropriate! Hope you do return with further 'fitment' report!
Some reason you can't get the photos up here directly?
Best!
John

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It does feel very odd when shouldering the stock. I imagine recoil would be a bit different also. Im great at hunting and fishing, computers not so much. /\

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Posted a couple pics of a Pre64 M70 Featherweight w/straight grip stock, .358 Win. that has been compared side-by-side with the Fwt. w/straight grip stock pictured on p. 257 in Rule. The guns are IDENTICAL, right down to the oddball sights.
If someone would be kind enough to move the pics over it would be greatly appreciated.
This gives credence to the notion that the gun pictured in Rule is not a one off and that similar guns do exist. The stock should accommodate guns with tapered, Type 111 tangs. It would be nice to view pics of the OP’s stock to see if it also fitted with two Bakelite cross bolts.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This stock i have has no cross bolts. I just saw your picture Pocono. My stock is identical but its a standard low comb NOT a FWT. Sadly I have no idea what caliber rifle it was on

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

There is also a pic of a 358 WIN Featherweight with straight grip stock in Dean Whitaker’s M70 book, Photo 7-23. No crossbolts and SG style bases with fixed bows. Appears that Winchester made a few Fwts. in that general configuration and there very likely are also some Standard Rifles with straight grip stocks floating around.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am taking it to my gunsmith to have it professionally restored tomorrow morning. As I said it was already sanded, luckily they didnt mess with the checkering. Really surprised nobody wants to see this stock. Especially the before and after pictures. They couldnt have made very many of them.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Picked up the restored stock today. Looks incredible! I sure wish somebody would post my before and after photos. You may never see one of these again. Im sure Poconojack would really enjoy these.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
TY very much Tom!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting grain in that wood.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.