Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone used these tires? The reviews I've seen appear to be pretty complimentary.

I would like to know how they compare to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in terms of road noise, mostly, but also ride and handling.

My off-roading is minimal and not something I do for fun, and my daily driver is now also my hunting truck (went from two pickups down to one). If these Falkens are not a significant step down from the Michelin as a highway tire, I may give them a try.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do you care where your tires were made? Falkens are good tires, mostly, but when there are a lot of great US made tires to choose from, it's hard for me to give a Chinese or Thailand made tire a second look.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought a set for my HD Chebby in December...yes Thailand mfg........

Bought complete tire/wheel pkg from DTD in PHX

They ship 'em ready to bolt on....best way...I sell the old stuff for $200+ or so (KO2's this time)

So far..been great.....285-75x16's...ride nice & smooth 5K miles

This is my hwy truck.....but my next set (I'm a tire/wheel slut)

I went with Cooper ST Maxx 285-70x17's for my Lexus LX

Made in USA !!!!!!!!!! 3 ply side wall....much more aggressive...called a 'Hybrid'

Watch DTD for Memorial Day savings.....pic...Cooper's

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
To tell the truth, I don't even know where the Michelins I've been buying the last 20 years were made.

And since you mentioned it, I went out and looked at the tires on the three vehicles I currently park at home: Michelin HydroEdges on my wife's Y2K Mustang, BFG All-Terrain T/As on the 97" GMC 4x4 I will be selling very soon, the junky old Firestones on the 2015 F150 I just acquired. None give any hint that I (a blind old fart) could see as the the CoO.

I'm glad you made me look, though...the Michelins on the wife's Mustang have been on there a while, and I notice the sidewalls showing a little cracking. Time for new skins for that car.

Anyway, I could buy a tire made in Thailand, I think, as long as it is a quality product...but absolutely NO communist Chinese stuff will be purchased as long as I have a choice. Thanks for bringing that aspect of it all to light.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Michelin are good tires of course.........

They just don't build anything suited for my use

Hwy or mild hwy AT....need more than that.....

I'm in the dirt & rocks......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Michelin are good tires of course.........

They just don't build anything suited for my use

Hwy or mild hwy AT....need more than that.....

I'm in the dirt & rocks......

Predominant use is a definite consideration.

I always used Michelin highway tires on my 2wd daily driver, and I put BFG All-Terrain T/As on my old GMC 4wd...but I decided to consolidate vehicles so I'm looking for something maybe a little better for off-road for the 2015 F150 (the old GMC will be going away soon). I don't generally have opportunities to really use a 4wd as hard as you would up there in Utah---especially if you go around lookin fer it...but I definitely don't think of Michelin highway tires as being what I want to be on should I choose to go out chasing hogs in Texas pasture at night. smile

I don't object to the All-Terrain T/As on my GMC, really, but I've never had a highway tire on that pickup so I don't know how it compares to something like a Michelin highway tire for comfort and noise. The "new" F150 is really a nice ride and I'm not willing to give up much, but if I can have a little better off-road tire without sacrificing the quiet and smooth ride I'm willing to give that a try.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes you really have to look close, but the COO is there. Usually pretty tiny and on old tires hard to see. Wildpeaks are made in both Thailand and China, depending on the size and supplier. If buying the Falkens, I'd want to see the tire before I bought it because there are plenty of Chinese Wildpeaks on the US market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't know about the AT3W, but the Wildpeak Trail that I ordered were made in China. I returned them and bought something else. A friend has another set of Trail that were made in the Thailand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Has anyone used these tires? The reviews I've seen appear to be pretty complimentary.

Never used the AT3W but did consider them. You might be interested in the comments by Joe Bacal. The AT3W was one of his favorite tires but he claims that Falken changed the rubber compound(s) and he's no longer a fan. His comments can be seen in the thread below.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...acal-test-driver-consultant#Post16111840

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well hell.

Made in China is a definite NO-GO.

Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes and ears open. I have time before I need to select something, so that's what I'll do.

Thanks for all the input.

Don't be the darkness.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

mine are mfg in Thailand.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut

mine are mfg in Thailand.........

You got lucky, I guess. I'd still rather have American made, but the Thai folks need jobs too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would look at the Pro Comp A/T Sport. I put them on my Ram, and really like them. Quiet and track extremely well.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have on my 2010 Taco and have been very pleased with them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We put a set of the falken wildpeak a/t3w's 10 ply on my wife's '10 tundra. I don't like them and will not be buying them again. Every time the weather changes we have to add air and they don't hold up to gravel worth a damn. They are fairly quiet on the highway though.
I pet a set of Cooper at3 xlt's on my 2500 HD early this year. So far I really like them. May normal daily commute is about 175-200 miles round trip,depending on where I am working. They handle a trailer good and are quiet on the road and are holding up good to the gravel roads.i will be replacing the tires on my wife's truck with the Coopers.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered about those Cooper AT3. I know several people that have done well with the previous Discoverer for towing and hunting rigs.

On the Wildpeaks, I'm curious if the gravel is cutting or chunking the tread, or are you getting flats?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I don't know about the AT3W, but the Wildpeak Trail that I ordered were made in China. I returned them and bought something else. A friend has another set of Trail that were made in the Thailand.

I bought some a year ago based on great/positive reviews. Drove around with them and hated them. Didn't handle for chidt and didn't compliment my truck. I only put 16 miles on those pos and swapped them out for some Goodyear duratracks. Those goodyears are extremely well made tires with plenty of siping and great tread pattern. They handle much better on the road and are better in the dirt and work very well in the snow. The funny thing is the duratracks are quieter as well. I'm not a Falken wildpeak fan in the least.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just put a set of the Wild Peak AT3 on my pickup Thursday, put about 600 on them and so far so good. They make some noise but I do not consider it objectionable, and don't think anyone else would either. Handling is different from the worn Bridgestone Duelers which were OEM on the truck. I presume any new tire would show a difference as the sharp edges would grab where the rounded tread edges on a worn tire would not.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Just put a set of the Wild Peak AT3 on my pickup Thursday, put about 600 on them and so far so good. They make some noise but I do not consider it objectionable, and don't think anyone else would either. Handling is different from the worn Bridgestone Duelers which were OEM on the truck. I presume any new tire would show a difference as the sharp edges would grab where the rounded tread edges on a worn tire would not.

Where was that set made?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thailand!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 49 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.