Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Will Abbot sign it ? Only reason I asked is our former governor vetoed it 3 times when it his his desk. I'm liking our new governor, one of the things he ran on was if it hit his desk he would sign it and he did. Gook luck gentlemen I hope it goes through.

Well, Moms Want Action will be sending a petition to hot wheels demanding that he not sign it. I don't think he'll listen to those bints.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Will Abbot sign it ? Only reason I asked is our former governor vetoed it 3 times when it his his desk. I'm liking our new governor, one of the things he ran on was if it hit his desk he would sign it and he did. Gook luck gentlemen I hope it goes through.

Well, Moms Want Action will be sending a petition to hot wheels demanding that he not sign it. I don't think he'll listen to those bints.

Abbott's already committed publicly to signing the bill.

Abbott said, “Once the Senate passes it out, the House and Senate will convene and work out any differences and get it to my desk. And I’ll be signing it.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ays-will-sign-constitutional-carry-bill/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal, of course, I've always carried anyways, just don't have to worry about getting in trouble now.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I'll put my flame suit on.

I'm not for the passage of this bill. We had a concealed carry system that worked well, wasn't broken and provided basic training to ensure safe handling, storage and education of laws pertaining to the use of deadly force. In addition, the law enforcement agencies voiced their own opposition to it. All this talk about supporting our law enforcement agencies in contrast to the defund movement, but then you push for a bill that our law enforcement agencies denounce because it will impact their safety and make their jobs harder.

With the passage of this law you're risking an increase in events that will polarize the views against gun ownership. Including more unnecessary/unlawful armed confrontations and firearm theft.

You're creating a problem where one did not exist.

There's SO much wrong with what you say. I'm not even going to get into the whole statement.

But the first mainstream media lie you repeat is that Texas law enforcement is against this.

The fact of the matter is, that MSM made a big deal out of LIBERAL CITY police chief's being against it. They are liberals. Dallas, Austin...

The second fact is that 83% of Texas county sheriff's SUPPORT Constitutional carry.

Here's the poll article. https://www.brettsanders.me/exclusive-83-of-texas-sheriffs-support-constitutional-carry/

So your statement about "our law enforcement agencies denounce it" is pure BS.

How about we have LESS goddam govt interference and regulation?

When you have to jump through hoops and PAY for a constitutional right, it ceases to be a "right" and becomes a privilege. crazy

Try again.

BTW, are you an LTC instructor?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but did you actually read the Brett Sanders survey/article you provided the link for, or just the title and parts of the article the author chose to highlight? I've been out watching my kids rodeo all day and I might be lacking some comprehension, but the title of the article doesn't seem to match the content.

My take away is that 66% of Sherriff's actually voted "NO" to allowing a law abiding person to carry open or concealed without a license (Question 1). It's only when it's phrased as "constitutional carry" that it gets an 83% approval (Question 2). Which means, the Sherriff's may not know what "constitutional carry" is and just support the buzzword.

Look deeper in the article and you'll see the actual questions and responses.
Question 3 says 88.5% of sheriff's do not believe a CHL infringes on our unalienable right to bear arms.
Question 4 says 60% support open carry. However,
Question 5 says 88.7% of sheriff's believe a CHL should be required for open carry.

I do agree with others that the litmus test may be the history of what has happened in other states when constitutional carry has been allowed. I still think we had a CHL concealed/open carry system that wasn't broken.

And NO, I'm not a CHL instructor.

If sheriffs want to make law than they should run for congress. Otherwise they are no more than the average citizen when it comes to votes. Many know less about the constitution than the average too. Well, at least those born before 2000, maybe 1990.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I present the Texas constitutional carry fiasco, and even this is incomplete. I'll swear, the legislature has a Republican majority and instead of this being a slam-dunk they turn it into a high-wire act. It's the worst in the nation. It'll take THREE sessions, if ever, to clean up this convoluted balderdash.

From GOA:

https://texas.gunowners.org/hb-1927-final-version-what-does-it-say/

Who can carry:

Assuming Gov. Abbott signs HB 1927, then, beginning September 1, those age 21+ who can legally possess a firearm will be able to carry a handgun – concealed, or openly in a holster – in non-prohibited public places.

Exception: those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the previous five years will not be able to carry handguns outside of their property or vehicle. These misdemeanors include assault causing bodily injury; deadly conduct; terroristic threat; and disorderly conduct with a firearm. (See Section 22 of the Conference Committee Report.)

Note: We opposed this exception because it creates a class of people who cannot carry handguns even though they can legally possess firearms – and because several of these misdemeanors are defined so loosely that it is easy to be convicted even when not acting wrongly.

See this handout for a listing of people prohibited by Federal and Texas law from possessing a firearm.

Prohibited carry:

Prohibited places include the following:

Schools (including both K-12 and colleges; school activities; school buses)

Polling places

Courts or offices utilized by the court

Racetracks

Airports past security

Bars (establishments that make 51% or more of their income from sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption)

Sporting events (high school, college, or professional)

Correctional facilities

Civil commitment facilities

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Mental hospitals

Amusement parks (75+ acres, in large counties, and open at least 120 days a year)

Governmental open meetings if notice is provided

No “Savings Clause” included:

Carry onto prohibited places can result in a Class A misdemeanor or 3rd-degree felony.

The House version had an exception to the penalty (“Savings Clause”): it said that if you carried into one of the above prohibited places but left as soon as you were given personal notice, you could not be penalized.

Unfortunately, the Senate insisted on stripping out the Savings Clause (we supported the Savings Clause).

The final language does include a defense to prosecution if you carry into one of the above prohibited places when no signage was posted informing you that carry was prohibited.

Other prohibited permitless handgun carry:

Carry while intoxicated will be prohibited except on your property, in your vehicle, or on / in another’s property or vehicle with their consent.

Campus carry is still prohibited for permitless carry (only those with an LTC carrying concealed can carry handguns on campuses, and even then, with significant restrictions).

Handgun carry on Lower Colorado River Authority property is protected for LTC holders but not for permitless carry.

Private businesses can prohibit unlicensed carry by providing notice under Penal Code Chapter 30.05. This notice can be a specifically worded sign, somewhat similar to a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, or it can be another sign or communication that simply gives notice that entry with a handgun is forbidden. The maximum penalty is identical to the penalty for carrying past a 30.06 or 30.07 sign: maximum class C misdemeanor and $200 fine if you leave as soon as you’re told to leave.

Federal property: In general, Federal law prohibits carry on Federal property, and state law does not affect Federal property.

Protected permitless handgun carry:

Foster parents who can legally possess firearms will be able to carry handguns while transporting foster children in a vehicle.

Increased penalties:

HB 1927 increases penalties for illegal possession of firearms by the following classes of people. We did not oppose raising the penalty for those with a violent felony conviction or those who have committed a Class A misdemeanor of family violence.

Note: We opposed increasing penalties for mere passive possession of a firearm by all non-violent felons, because we believe this unjustly includes some who committed a completely nonviolent crime decades earlier.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Breaking News! House just passed HB 1927 after coming out of reconciliation committee. Now, only the Senate has to pass it before it goes to hot wheels for him to sign into law.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/HB1927?src=hashtag_click

Excellent!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great news!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I present the Texas constitutional carry fiasco, and even this is incomplete. I'll swear, the legislature has a Republican majority and instead of this being a slam-dunk they turn it into a high-wire act. It's the worst in the nation. It'll take THREE sessions, if ever, to clean up this convoluted balderdash.

From GOA:

https://texas.gunowners.org/hb-1927-final-version-what-does-it-say/

Who can carry:

Assuming Gov. Abbott signs HB 1927, then, beginning September 1, those age 21+ who can legally possess a firearm will be able to carry a handgun – concealed, or openly in a holster – in non-prohibited public places.

Exception: those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the previous five years will not be able to carry handguns outside of their property or vehicle. These misdemeanors include assault causing bodily injury; deadly conduct; terroristic threat; and disorderly conduct with a firearm. (See Section 22 of the Conference Committee Report.)

Note: We opposed this exception because it creates a class of people who cannot carry handguns even though they can legally possess firearms – and because several of these misdemeanors are defined so loosely that it is easy to be convicted even when not acting wrongly.

See this handout for a listing of people prohibited by Federal and Texas law from possessing a firearm.

Prohibited carry:

Prohibited places include the following:

Schools (including both K-12 and colleges; school activities; school buses)

Polling places

Courts or offices utilized by the court

Racetracks

Airports past security

Bars (establishments that make 51% or more of their income from sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption)

Sporting events (high school, college, or professional)

Correctional facilities

Civil commitment facilities

Hospitals

Nursing homes

Mental hospitals

Amusement parks (75+ acres, in large counties, and open at least 120 days a year)

Governmental open meetings if notice is provided

No “Savings Clause” included:

Carry onto prohibited places can result in a Class A misdemeanor or 3rd-degree felony.

The House version had an exception to the penalty (“Savings Clause”): it said that if you carried into one of the above prohibited places but left as soon as you were given personal notice, you could not be penalized.

Unfortunately, the Senate insisted on stripping out the Savings Clause (we supported the Savings Clause).

The final language does include a defense to prosecution if you carry into one of the above prohibited places when no signage was posted informing you that carry was prohibited.

Other prohibited permitless handgun carry:

Carry while intoxicated will be prohibited except on your property, in your vehicle, or on / in another’s property or vehicle with their consent.

Campus carry is still prohibited for permitless carry (only those with an LTC carrying concealed can carry handguns on campuses, and even then, with significant restrictions).

Handgun carry on Lower Colorado River Authority property is protected for LTC holders but not for permitless carry.

Private businesses can prohibit unlicensed carry by providing notice under Penal Code Chapter 30.05. This notice can be a specifically worded sign, somewhat similar to a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, or it can be another sign or communication that simply gives notice that entry with a handgun is forbidden. The maximum penalty is identical to the penalty for carrying past a 30.06 or 30.07 sign: maximum class C misdemeanor and $200 fine if you leave as soon as you’re told to leave.

Federal property: In general, Federal law prohibits carry on Federal property, and state law does not affect Federal property.

Protected permitless handgun carry:

Foster parents who can legally possess firearms will be able to carry handguns while transporting foster children in a vehicle.

Increased penalties:

HB 1927 increases penalties for illegal possession of firearms by the following classes of people. We did not oppose raising the penalty for those with a violent felony conviction or those who have committed a Class A misdemeanor of family violence.

Note: We opposed increasing penalties for mere passive possession of a firearm by all non-violent felons, because we believe this unjustly includes some who committed a completely nonviolent crime decades earlier.
Typical. Politicians could screw up a wet dream.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They just applied the same restrictions that apply to Texas LTC holders. Figured that would be thrown in from the start.
Nothing new here. Same places you could not ever carry a gun in TX.

At least good, honest Texans won’t have to pay for a License or wait 3 or 4 months for the application to go through before they can carry now.

Regardless, I’m glad it finally passed. Bout damn time.

I’ll still keep my LTC for travel purposes, though, since we have Reciprocal Agreements with 40 other States.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
will this be for Texas residents only , or any citizen of the USA ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

It applies to everyone in Texas.

If you live somewhere else, but are visiting or working in Texas, the law applies to you.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

If you live somewhere else, but are visiting or working in Texas, the law applies to you.

good deal........I think there are some of the "constitutional" carry states where only residents are allowed to carry without a permit

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch the 'sausage (law) being made' in the Texas Senate. Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. Cameron County and Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa Hidalgo County give their parting shots at the inevitable:

https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=49&clip_id=16215

2:26:16 - Bill called up
2:26:44 - Sen. Schwertner recognized
2:29:02 - Sen. West - Questions of the author
2:32:55 - Sen. Huffman - Questions of the author
2:35:59 - Sen. Menendez - Questions of the author
2:43:21 - Sen. Whitmire - Questions of the author
2:52:34 - Sen. Lucio - Questions of the author
2:56:03 - Sen. Hinojosa - Questions of the author
3:01:51 - Sen. Schwertner moves adoption - record vote 17 ayes - 13 nays, conference committee report is adopted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
They just applied the same restrictions that apply to Texas LTC holders. Figured that would be thrown in from the start.
Nothing new here. Same places you could not ever carry a gun in TX.

At least good, honest Texans won’t have to pay for a License or wait 3 or 4 months for the application to go through before they can carry now.

Regardless, I’m glad it finally passed. Bout damn time.

I’ll still keep my LTC for travel purposes, though, since we have Reciprocal Agreements with 40 other States.

This.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watch the 'sausage (law) being made' in the Texas Senate. Sen. Eddie Lucio, Jr. Cameron County and Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa Hidalgo County give their parting shots at the inevitable:

https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=49&clip_id=16215

2:26:16 - Bill called up
2:26:44 - Sen. Schwertner recognized
2:29:02 - Sen. West - Questions of the author
2:32:55 - Sen. Huffman - Questions of the author
2:35:59 - Sen. Menendez - Questions of the author
2:43:21 - Sen. Whitmire - Questions of the author
2:52:34 - Sen. Lucio - Questions of the author
2:56:03 - Sen. Hinojosa - Questions of the author
3:01:51 - Sen. Schwertner moves adoption - record vote 17 ayes - 13 nays, conference committee report is adopted

They absolutely couldn't have gotten any dumber, or more desperate.

Always good for a clown show.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Does this clause include Corps of Engineers property like say their public hunting areas and national forests in Texas?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300

Does this clause include Corps of Engineers property like say their public hunting areas and national forests in Texas?

I think they mean federal buildings and infrastructure...

I lived and worked in Natl. Forests in NM, and never saw it stop anyone from carrying open or concealed.

National Parks and Monuments probably not.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
FO is pleased !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Larry Root luvs him her some Walmart

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, it’s Friday and if it was signed already by Gov Abbot I musta missed it.

Is there a deadline on signing?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Well, it’s Friday and if was signed already by Gov Abbot I musta missed it.

Is there a deadline on signing?

I don't think there is. As long as it's on or before the date in the bill to become effective.

I also think the governor can refuse to sign the bill, but it would become law by default after so many days. (As long as he doesn't veto it.)

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (badwolf, BDR1, beefan, batch, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.