Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sheister
Just got back from running all over southern Oregon from the California line to Lapine and only saw a few fields where many rats were up at all. Concluded we were a bit early even though the temps were in the 80's . The few fields we did see some activity in we would stop and they would keep running around until we got out of our truck, then they went down and wouldn't come back up at all... we'll go back in a few weeks and hope we don't have to fight off other rat hunters to find a place to shoot. We did see lots of rats running around chasing each other off their mounds and lots of obviously pregnant mommas, so they are dropping now or very soon... I think we only shot about six the whole three days, but found some new country we can knock on doors next time out....

Lots of other guys wandering around doing the same thing we were doing- looking for rats to shoot at.
We did see a few guys sitting beside the road with benches in the back of their truck shooting at sage rats, but they seemed to be locals who knew exactly where rats were up and not... saw a couple of very populated fields right behind no trespassing signs, so we said some adult words and moved on...

Bob

ran outta windage clicks here...........

went home..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, most of the time the wind kicks up about noon anywhere east of the Cascades and doesn't let up until about sundown. Sometimes it is manageable, but most of the time early afternoon is about all a guy can do to hold his rifle steady in the wind, much less hit anything with the wind blowing your bullet into the next county... once it warms up a bit the rats come out a bit earlier in the day and you can burn up as much ammo as you can carry...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Headed south to shoot Belding's this week. Forecast seems good, but we'll see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking of doing the same thing, but wanted to see if the cold weather has let up yet....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The wind laid down here finally, had a nice clear day, the temps came up and it was not overcast so I finally got back out to chase gophers again. 346 in five hours. I like that - steady shooting and lots of young dumb ones out. The hay is starting to reach high enough that they are hard to see but there are enough around the edges of the fields to keep busy.

I am really starting to like my Tikka T1x in 22 LR for a gopher gun, the 20" barrel is handy for shooting from the pickup, although I do have to be careful with the mirrors (I have already clipped the edge once), accuracy is superb and the trigger is excellent, and as ugly as the 10 round magazines are it is sure handy to not have to refill them so often - it is fast becoming my favorite rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sheister
Thinking of doing the same thing, but wanted to see if the cold weather has let up yet....

Weather was good from the 27th - 29th, but not that many squirrels in our areas near the border. It was in the 70's during the day and 40's at night. Shot Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and Saturday morning. I only used a brick and a half. Best shooting was near the edges of alfalfa, but the crop was getting tall.

No sage rats running across the roads was the first sign that things were off. Good for the farmers though.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/30/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.