Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by troublesome82
She was assigned to a former aircraft, and she flew it quite well. It is sad she chose not to stay in that role, and equally sad she was given a choice to jump to the Tomcat level!

She flew the EA-6A with VAQ-33 prior and that squadron (along with VAQ-34 and 35) were going away as the Navy stopped having dedicated squadrons for that mission and moved to using the Reserves and contract flown aircraft to provide fleet EW training services. Since restrictions on woman in the fleet were removed she needed to go into the fleet or essentially accept the end of a flying career. I have no idea how much influence she had in what community she got with going to Tomcats.

Thanks for that clarification, Pugs, and your service! The only easy day was yesterday!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by Pugs
She flew the EA-6A with VAQ-33 prior and that squadron (along with VAQ-34 and 35) were going away as the Navy stopped having dedicated squadrons for that mission and moved to using the Reserves and contract flown aircraft to provide fleet EW training services. Since restrictions on woman in the fleet were removed she needed to go into the fleet or essentially accept the end of a flying career. I have no idea how much influence she had in what community she got with going to Tomcats.

Was there no "easier or more familiar" aircraft for her to transition to?
( I realize that the entire point of this thread is basically affirmative action)

Not really. The EA-6A was most similar to the A-6 and EA-6B and the A-6 was already heading into retirement. The EA-6B was no piece of cake to get aboard the ship and since there were only 4-5 per airwing was considered a high value asset. We tended to get newly wing aviators with good boat grades due to the difficulty of getting it aboard . Previously we had stopped bringing our Naval Flight Officers that had transitioned to pilot back into the community and sending them to A-6s instead due to the challenge and some notable failures we had.

Here's a pic I took of a VAQ-33 EA-6A on our wing. You can see it looks like an A-6 but has the receiver "football" on the tail like the EA-6B.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for that answer to Jetson's question, I had wondered the same thing. And here I thought you and Jorge were flying in EA-6's cuz you weren't good enough for F14's... wink

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pugs, thanks

One more question if you don't mind,
Are all Navy pilots "carrier qualified", are there any land based only planes or pilots?

and another

Do any others services land on Navy boats? (excluding Marines)

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by himmelrr

In the end, Kara died because she was put in an airplane that was beyond her abilities. The politicians are the ones responsible for her death.

Truth. People seem to disconnect from reality. We saw this while our eldest was training in the Navy. Parents don't seem to understand they're brutally hard on them to get them ready to survive when lots of enemy are trying very hard to kill them.

That woman was doing something which would get many posters here killed if they tried it regardless of how much training. I sure wouldn't try it.

People also seem disconnected from the reality of where future soldiers will come from if many of our fittest young females are killed in war. Women are the bank from which future generations come after current generations are killed. Putting them in combat is foolish.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what I find surprising is the men, don't call this crap out and say putting women in combat aircraft is ridiculous, frankly it is. just say it! changing standards to accommodate something like this is insane, its wokeism run amuck. The men failing to call this out are the same ones that willingly put a mask on and wear it like a good little boy. some young man is robbed of his dreams all so some women who should be raising children and living up to the measure of here creation is put into a situation like this. probably will end up with a revolving door of men in her life and being miserable later in life, meanwhile the fighting men and the mission have been distracted. Look I have never been in the military but the fact that those who have will not call this crap out is something I never understood.

This.

Women have no place in combat arms, no matter how good of a pilot any woman may be.

Given everything I read, Hultgren was of above average intelligence and ability, but not up to the task of piloting the F-14. And obviously Hultgren lacked wisdom for trying to pilot the F-14. Poorer performance during training relative to the men is something a wiser woman would pick up on.

Hultgren's life was wasted on a political stunt. Instead of marrying, having intelligent & talented children, and contributing to her nation, she ended up dead in an affirmative action pilot spot.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Navlav8r,

So was she trying to forward slip the a/c on landing?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m just glad nearly all my time riding around in Toms was in a GE powered model (and lots of other cool toys).
While a lot was done wrong, I won’t forget that she was a person who just wanted to fly. She lost her life, as have many men, by getting in over her head. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

If we kicked out every pilot who struggled at times in the F-14, there wouldn’t be many pilots. It’s rarely, if ever, black and white. For probably 8 years of my time in the jet, I flew with every guy who struggled at the boat, couldn’t tank, couldn’t dog fight, etc. it happens. It’s a training challenge.

Emergency procedures being ingrained was mentioned. It occurs to me I know the boldface (do it right now, no time to look up) procedures for compressor stall on the cat stroke, and for spin procedures as well today as I did over 20 years ago. Easier to recall than my own phone number! Flying in mostly GE powered jets, I only heard the compressor stall tone once (in a GE). My last active duty flight. Northern Gulf, loaded with bombs headed for Iraq. All kinds of tones and lights on the cat stroke, though it felt normal. After getting safely to altitude with mo more stall indications, we tried to replicate, or get it to stall. My stick boy tried hard to no avail. So we went to Iraq and dropped the bombs. My last trap. I still remember shutting down that last time on a carrier.

Last edited by prm; 05/25/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what I find surprising is the men, don't call this crap out and say putting women in combat aircraft is ridiculous, frankly it is. just say it! changing standards to accommodate something like this is insane, its wokeism run amuck. The men failing to call this out are the same ones that willingly put a mask on and wear it like a good little boy. some young man is robbed of his dreams all so some women who should be raising children and living up to the measure of here creation is put into a situation like this. probably will end up with a revolving door of men in her life and being miserable later in life, meanwhile the fighting men and the mission have been distracted. Look I have never been in the military but the fact that those who have will not call this crap out is something I never understood.

This.

Women have no place in combat arms, no matter how good of a pilot any woman may be.

Given everything I read, Hultgren was of above average intelligence and ability, but not up to the task of piloting the F-14. And obviously Hultgren lacked wisdom for trying to pilot the F-14. Poorer performance during training relative to the men is something a wiser woman would pick up on.

Hultgren's life was wasted on a political stunt. Instead of marrying, having intelligent & talented children, and contributing to her nation, she ended up dead in an affirmative action pilot spot.

I am a fan of nascar racing. no female has ever been even remotely competitive in the sport. I have also driven a race car myself. There is a reason women don't do as well. IMO flying a fighter jet and doing a good job of it. must be pretty close to driving a race car in many ways. I wish people who are involved with this would call this out and say its no place for making a political statement.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Cummins, the atmosphere back then was terrible. If you spoke up, you were most likely [bleep] canned virtually on the spot. Many tried and found themselves in the worst duty stations possible or if they had enough time served, retired. This went from junior officers up to flags. Tailhook 91 was still fresh in everyone’s mind and the political climate was that if you spoke out against ANY female, you were done.

And for the record, I flew with some very capable women pilots as well as a ton of crappy male pilots both land based and ship based.

Last edited by himmelrr; 05/25/21.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I had a bit over 850 hours in the Tomcat and over 3500 hours in other a/c when I transition to the Tomcat and even after 34 years, I can still repeat the “engine failure off the catapult” procedure. We briefed it on EVERY SINGLE HOP regardless of a land take off or a cat launch off the boat. The F-14A engines were fondly (not!) referred to as Pratt and [bleep]. I transitioned from being an F-4 RAG instructor to the Tomcat in the RAG, VF 101.

From practically DAY ONE in the F-14 RAG, compressor stall procedures were pounded into your head. Probably because of that emphasis, I never had a full-fledged compressor stall although I did have one “inlet buzz “ as it was called on an ACM hop; probably because of a little too much rudder at hi angle of attack during a fight. I’ll get back to this…..

IIRC, she had gotten an “unsat” or “down” in her first attempt to get through all the Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) before going to the boat for day/night carrier qualification. She had at least one (maybe two) “fleet naval evaluation board” (FNAEB) which is pretty much normal. Her main problem was overshooting final and trying to use “A LOT OF RUDDER” in an attempt to avoid overshooting and had been addressed several times with her by the squadron LSO’s. Focus should have been on getting the a/c to the correct distance abeam the boat and maintaining the angle of bank around the corner. It’s almost a given that a nugget (new guy/girl)) will take out some angle of bank at the 90 (degrees) to go position. This results in an overshoot of final.

On the day of the mishap she was overshooting final and in trying to use lots of rudder, with the excessive yaw, the nose of the a/c disturbed the airflow to the left engine and caused a compressor stall.

Yes, she departed controlled flight as a result of the compressor stall and improper corrective action. That caused the loss of control. But to get to the real cause, you need to back up a few seconds. It was the habit incorrectly using a lot of rudder in an attempt to correct for an overshoot that started this sequence. The was too much rudder at high angle of attack.

So saying the mishap was caused by a compressor stall is true, BUT it doesn’t really get to the root of the problem which was using too much rudder in the approach turn. That’s what resulted in the compressor stall. Reflexively using right stick to try to counter the left roll of the a/c was the wrong move. If you watch the lead in to the interview, there is a short clip of a T-2 that flips over and flew into the island of the Lexington. UGLY!

That too, was an adverse yaw departure. At slow speed and/or hi angle/slow speed maneuvering off the cat or on final, using rudder to control angle of bank or roll in the Tomcat is correct. But in this this case, too much rudder caused the engine stall. Which then led to the loss of control

Nav . . . I'm no jet jock, but a retired unrestricted Naval Aviator who "earned" helos as a Marine flight student. I admire anyone who qualified for jets. They really were at the top of the batting order. I'm sure Hultgreen was a good stick in flight school, and simply just got forced into an aircraft that she was unprepared or simply unable to master. I experienced this Navy-wide experiment to get minorities (females and Negros) through the training command, regardless of the number of flight downs they racked up. Just change instructors and start over again, was the plan of action during the mid to late 1980s. Reading your post, it occurs to me that all the critical and technical stuff an aviator must process, requires a special type of brain housing group. I've always wondered if the difference in male and female brains prevent most female aviators from being able to mentally stay ahead of such high performance aircraft like the F-14, with the required 3D mental picture of where she is in relation to all of the critical approach points you mention, along with proper angle of attack, relative motion, etc. Perhaps the female brain is unable to compute such a work load. Any thoughts along those lines?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are women who do fine. There just aren’t as many of them who want to be pilots as there are men. And that was doubly so back then. She just had the misfortune of being the closest to ready when they were itching to get females in the cockpit. I don’t blame her. She might not even have wanted to do it that much, but it would have been the end of her career had she turned it down. From store managers to football coaches, people sometimes get forced into positions for which they really aren’t prepared or find out after they are there, they aren’t as prepared as they thought they were.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Pugs, thanks

One more question if you don't mind,
Are all Navy pilots "carrier qualified", are there any land based only planes or pilots?

and another

Do any others services land on Navy boats? (excluding Marines)

From a fixed wing perspective, only students in the "jet" pipeline go the ship to qual. Of course, that's a misnomer in that those that selected E-2 / C-2 also go and the P-3's are all gone and replaced by P-8's that are jets so maybe it's easier to say "tactical aviation" selectees go to the ship to qual in training command.

Helo pilots also qual and never should one dismiss the skill needed to put an H-60 down on the deck of a destroyer in heavy seas.

No other US services land on ships with the exception of some service exchange officers that do get qualed.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having read the book which I stated previously IMO was more than a biased account since her mother put everyone in the 10 ring except her daughter...There may be more details that aren't public knowledge especially in a high profile case such as this,,who knows what may have been buried in the final analysis ? .Standards are standards especially with training that's the bottom line especially in todays hi tech military. I have no objections for any flying skirt who can maintain a high level of proficiency as her male counterparts the only exception being gals slugging along packing ruck sacs on the ground...This is a much talked about discussion here however just my 2 cts.

My experiences were apples & oranges different from this timeline or any high performance aircraft several of you strapped on....Having been rushed through training with minimal expectations of what was coming later we basically rewrote the training manual SOP's to save our behinds once in theater...I'm a true believer in instinct always have been this is where I part ways with the other gender's ability to instantaneously survey the situation and act accordingly in many scenarios,. Flame suit on don't care if you think differently ...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Having seen similar circumstances not entirely related to naval aviation, it seems like the Peter Principle was hard at work here.RIP Lt.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hate to defame a person that gave her life in a terrible accident. Sounds to me like she just made a series of mistakes that ended up being fatal. I have the upmost respect for anyone that can land on a ship. It's the height of something or other.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Has nothing to do with the facts of this mishap, but I have a problem with Naval Flight Officers referring to themselves as "flying" an aircraft (3:33 mark of video)

On behalf of all Naval Flight Officers, I would like to apologize to you if that comment somehow dimmed the glow in which you bask as an “unrestricted” Naval Aviator (whatever the hell that means).

My final comment on this website.

Aids out

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
We would have never heard about this had it been a WHITE USNA graduate.

Black, woman, Hispanic, foreign exchange ----- BIG NEWS !

Anyone want to comment on the original Cosair's record in carrier landings ? It was called ---- ------ ---------- !

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
Navlav8r,

So was she trying to forward slip the a/c on landing?

She had a habit of overshooting the final and using lots of rudder in an attempt to prevent it. Some left rudder can help with proverse roll the but not why you would think. When you step on the left rudder the a/c yaws slightly to the left; the right wing advances creating more lift and the left wing retreats creating less lift resulting in proverse roll. As a result the jet rolls left from the differential lift of the wings. So it can help you roll at high angles of attack or slow speed maneuvering (ACM). The real solution is to figure out how to prevent the overshooting starts in the first place. The various LSO’S had tried to address that tendency and correct it. So once the compressor stall occurred the correct move is right rudder, not right stick. The Tomcat was classified “non-centerline thrust” because of the thrust available on the good engine at high power.

An adverse yaw departure created by the ailerons at slow speeds is best seen in that lead-in video of the T-2 flying into the island of the Lexington. I was still on active duty at the time and it happened to a student at the other end of the hangar from us. It was UGLY. He was getting slower and slower but also lined up to the right of the landing area. If you watch and listen carefully, when the back-up LSO on the radio says “come left”, you can see the right aileron go down creating more lift which results in more drag on the right wing. At the same time you can see the left aileron go up, creating less lift along with less drag.

The differential drag causes the a/c to yaw right. That results in the left wing advancing, the right wing retreating. The differential lift of the wings essentially overpowers the ailerons causes the a/c to depart and roll right or away from the intended direction.

Sooo…..using a lot of left rudder in the F -14 is what led to the compressor stall but improper control inputs for one engine failed and one at full power caused it to depart controlled flight.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Tomcat really wasn't the greatest plane ever, given the compromises made to get it on a carrier yet still be able to bring hurt to the enemy. That's the environment that naval aviators sign up for, and it's honestly the sharp end of aviation's stick, so exacting, so competitive. But that said, I don't think sex matters, or body type, or anything else. But there's a certain focus, in 3-D real time, that only a tiny few humans have, and it's by nature. By nature, your brain needs to be wired right. By nature, your eyes and spatial/force senses need to be the absolute best, PLUS you have to disconnect those senses to effectively fly instruments. By nature, you have to be able to pull Gs without blacking out. If you can do all those things, you're a pilot. If you can't, or not all the time, you're not.
The same can be said about being a warrior. There are standards, skills, and if you have those, or don't, you are, or aren't, a warrior.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.