Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone here use a composting toilet in a camper?

Do campgrounds allow the dumping of composted waste?

Is odor problematic around your camper/boat?

Just began looking at this possibility and will research it on youtube and the net, but informed opinions valued.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one in a Boston whaler worked well for weekend use BUT you better empty it when you get back ,if left a week or so it will gag a maggot when you lift the hatch

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have one, it's sort of a outhouse, in the house. Better than an outhouse.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there one made for really big asses?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is there one small enough for Mold Poot? As a Jewh, you couldn’t drive a straight pin up his ass with a sledgehammer, he is so tight! LOL!! I meant “Old Coot”; my bad!

Smith and Wessons are Thoroughbreds; Rugers are Clydesdales —John Taffin
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I worked underground , they tried few. Stinkiest damn thing I was ever near.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had one in a cabin a while back. Believe it had "Sun" in the brand name. I thought it worked really well and don't recall any odor, but it was in a fairly large room not used for anything but that, and storage, and my place was not what you would call airtight. The biggest issue with it was, with the intermittent use it received, the compost would solidify between visits to the cabin, and if you didn't de-solidify it a bit before the first time the mixer motor turned on you would snap the shear pin that was there to protect the motor. But it was nothing that couldn't be worked around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
Anyone here use a composting toilet in a camper?

Do campgrounds allow the dumping of composted waste?

Is odor problematic around your camper/boat?

Just began looking at this possibility and will research it on youtube and the net, but informed opinions valued.

In a cabin with fairly low use? Yes.

In a camper or anything portable? No way.

The whole idea of these things is to do natural decomposition using things like peat moss or some such as a medium. If you set things up right, the air draw goes down through the seat and is vented out a chimney using convection with maybe some help from an electric fan.

Trying to take that kind of thing on the road? It gets nasty really quick.

The best composter I saw was built like a small cabin with a sliding glass door across the front. You mounted the throne and could watch the lake and trees while you transacted business. The vent had a fan that ran off solar. It was a really swell operation. I always enjoyed visiting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, it rarely needed emptied. It would eventually remove all the moisture from the compost, and after that there just wasn't much to dispose of.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You are probably just as well off with a plastic pail lined with a garbage bag and some kitty litter.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can't keep a slightly negative air flow going through the seat, the room fills up with stink in a hurry.
If you can't keep a decent airflow over the effluent, it goes from aerobic to anerobic decomposition and it gets really putrid
If you can't keep the effluent in a well controlled temperature range, the whole thing gets out of wack and stinks

My friends' rig was perfect. The glass doors sealed the airflow. That meant all the air going up the stack was from the outside. The effluent was kept at the right temp and the right PH. What came out of there was ready to go into the vegetable garden.

How you would manage all that in an RV is beyond my comprehension.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use a Mexican pail during late season freeze up. Just splash a little blue juice in it and go. You need a cover for it. Store it under the trailer when not in use.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.