Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dale06
Buy a shell holder for each set of dies, and keep it in the box with the dies. That’s likely some duplication, but worth the reduced hassle.

Rocket science, right....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I feel your pain hence the training.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
That's why I've "standardized" on the 223, Commie and 06 base diameters for all my rifles, and 9 and 45 for handguns.

For $7 a pop?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I only own four different ones... magnum, standard, small and one for the swede...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a shell holder for each set of dies, and keep it in the box with the dies. That’s likely some duplication, but worth the reduced hassle.

I buy two. One for the dies, the other for the hand held primer tool

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

Rocket science, right....

Over time I'd have 7-8 of the same one that way

.243,.308,Swede, .270, .300 Sav, 7mm-08, .30-06(for a friend :D) .338-06, .35 Whelen, then there is the belted mags..

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 05/27/21.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Can't the manufacturers all use the same # system or at least stamp their name on them so it's easier to know whose # #@$%^&* you are looking at?

Maybe a little standardization would hurt their bottom line or something.

Mike

Keep schidt simple and you wont' run into problems. Why is this so hard for guys to figure out?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by horse1
Forster Co-Ax.

Truth! Happy days when I got rid of rockchucker for Co-Ax.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RPnKC
Originally Posted by horse1
Forster Co-Ax.

Truth! Happy days when I got rid of rockchucker for Co-Ax.

Then I'd be on here begging for lock rings or whatever it is you co-axers are always asking for

NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I only own four different ones... magnum, standard, small and one for the swede...

That's all you really need. If you have or load for an odd ball like a 7.62x39, just keep that on in your die box. KISS works best and you have it figured out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just keep the shell holders in the boxes with the dies. I just noticed recently that there were shell holder organizer boxes available. I thought to myself, that's just what I don't need. If I get out a die set and the needed shell holder isn't in the box with the dies, it will be in the box with one of the limited number of other die sets that use the same shell holder.

I've always been a little leery of accumulating too much high-margin convenience junk that takes up space and confuses me.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a variety of presses, but one favored priming tool, rcbs auto. It prefers rcbs, so one day just pitched the mismatched ones and ordered all rcbs. Then made a holder. Easy now.

[Linked Image]

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Was loading something not to long ago and knew I had the fricken shell holder and couldn't find it in the storage box, went through it like 3 times, finally found it in the die box for my .270 WSM..... Who knew it was the same?? Now will have to go look at the chart and see what cross references...

Ever find the one you want, after looking for it for awhile, still in the press?

Like sunglasses on top of your head?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Was loading something not to long ago and knew I had the fricken shell holder and couldn't find it in the storage box, went through it like 3 times, finally found it in the die box for my .270 WSM..... Who knew it was the same?? Now will have to go look at the chart and see what cross references...

Ever find the one you want, after looking for it for awhile, still in the press?

Like sunglasses on top of your head?

Ha, no my lazy bone I always check that one 1st

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know I have Lyman, Lee, Redding, Hornady and RCBS at a minimum and maybe Frankford Arsenal If they make them or that may be shoulder bump heads not even sure now,

NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
HERE, HERE...I agree!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few of a couple for like 9mm, 45/30-06/308, 38/357, 223/5.56 ... those that I originally years ago started-out factory assembly line reloading on a couple of Rock Chuckers a Partner and a Lee.

Then along came the LnL then the 550 then the 650 then and now the T7 and inevitably I've tried every flavor of shell holder known to man from plates to individual.

RCBS makes the best imho .... slickest. They used to be $4.95 each. I've not bought one in so long I don't know what they are going-for these days but I do know Reddings were twice as much and I never understood why. Never liked Hornady or Lee shellholders much. I have a couple of each but just never liked the way they fit other presses.

Redding either for that matter. Fits most pistons just fine but not all cases and rims ... too tight sometimes.

I keep all my shell holders in a tackle box like organizer that is labeled which cartridge each is for and some of them work for many of course.

Only Hornady has the little post in their boxes for shell holders right? And I don't have many Hornady die sets. Some of my boxes are already jammed tight with three die sets plus an extra Lee factory crimp die in some .... never really thought much about throwing the shell holder(s) in there with the dies. Suppose I could but I figure why change my organizational methodology at my age and stage. My system works for me and makes it easy to access and reference .... plus I rarely use a hand primer anymore. Haven't in years. Still, I use them on my various autoprime gadgets attached to the presses or standalone.

Last edited by SCRooster; 05/28/21. Reason: Corrected autocorrect correction that was incorrect

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Anal retentive........you probably separate your knives, spoons, and forks too.

Keep your metric sockets separated from the SAE's? Thought so....

Originally Posted by sandcritter
Use a variety of presses, but one favored priming tool, rcbs auto. It prefers rcbs, so one day just pitched the mismatched ones and ordered all rcbs. Then made a holder. Easy now.

[Linked Image]

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=cra1948]I just keep the shell holders in the boxes with the dies. /quote]

Me, too. But I keep a pair of them. One for sizing, one for seating. The seaters have the top face polished so I can remember which is which....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.