Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So seems like some people fuss about partitions being hard to load for. Had a guy tell me he weighed some and they varied as much as 2 grains in their spread. I have about 5 boxes of 6.5 125 grn partitions, so I decided to weigh some. Took several random ones from all but 1 of the boxes, and weighed 15. Results were as follows: 125.1, 125 4x, 124.9 2x, 124.8, 124.7 3x, 124.6 2x, and 124.4 2x. So there was a total of .7 grains difference in the weights. And I got these from 2 different people at 2 different times, from 2 different states. I dont know if you think that is acceptable, but I didnt think it was too bad!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Nosler Partition is perhaps the finest non-dangerous game bullet ever designed.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
So seems like some people fuss about partitions being hard to load for. Had a guy tell me he weighed some and they varied as much as 2 grains in their spread. I have about 5 boxes of 6.5 125 grn partitions, so I decided to weigh some. Took several random ones from all but 1 of the boxes, and weighed 15. Results were as follows: 125.1, 125 4x, 124.9 2x, 124.8, 124.7 3x, 124.6 2x, and 124.4 2x. So there was a total of .7 grains difference in the weights. And I got these from 2 different people at 2 different times, from 2 different states. I dont know if you think that is acceptable, but I didnt think it was too bad!

Very acceptable. I've never seen much variation in weight with the partitions. Speer bullets, on the other hand, are horrendous. Guys wanting to give Nosler partitions a bad rap are pretty clueless and them thinking they can pull the wool over our eyes with blanket statements like "2 grains spread" in weight are really reaching. There are a lot of us that have weighed them and came to the same conclusion as you. Pretty damn consistent in weight. Secondly, I've always been able to get excellent accuracy from partitions in many calibers and weights. What I see a lot of times is newbies trying to make excuses as to why their loads suck donkey ballz..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Donkey ballz is a good one. I heard another the other day...Pissweasel...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In my estimation a good percentage of people fighting "accuracy" issues don't have a good handle on how straight are their assembled cartridges. If the rifle and scope are in order I'm of the opinion that small variations in charge or bullet weights don't amount to much at distances most people shoot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
In my estimation a good percentage of people fighting "accuracy" issues don't have a good handle on how straight are their assembled cartridges. If the rifle and scope are in order I'm of the opinion that small variations in charge or bullet weights don't amount to much at distances most people shoot.

That I’d agree with. They can be fussier than others if they aren’t started straight.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

That I’d agree with. They can be fussier than others if they aren’t started straight.

Straight ammo is a must. Goes without saying..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Straight ammo is a must. Goes without saying..

Many folks don't know, but I have been trying to spread the word.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I just weighed a box, no more than .4 spread. They were all I used until the first great shortage, tried Ballistic tips. They kill deer and pigs just as well and are much cheaper. I weighed 140 grain 7mm partitions.

Last edited by hanco; 05/26/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The Nosler Partition is perhaps the finest non-dangerous game bullet ever designed.

Amazing. I have killed quite a bit of dangerous game with Partitions, and been next to hunting companions who did the same, for over two decades. None of us have had a problem yet--but have seen problems with at least a couple of other "premium" bullets that many consider superior.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Strictly speaking his comment didn't state anything either way about the dangerous game versions.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Strictly speaking, no it didn't. But also know hunters who killed quite a few of what would be considered dangerous big game animals with Partitions before such a category existed--including the 200-grain .30.

I also don't see a category for "Partition dangerous big game bullets" on the Nosler website.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wasn't really thinking of a formal category.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is part of my point.....

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tanzania trip...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wasn't really thinking of a formal category.

Sometimes you just need to kick back and take notes........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some of the weight variation could be from different designs of the same bullet like the .525 ogive 25 caliber bullets compared to the standard ones, which is not a fair comparison. I have also bought odd lots like 101 grain E-Tips from the shooters pro shop. Not sure if they were intentionally that weight or not?

For a long time the Nosler Partition was the dangerous game bullet to use if you were loading soft points. And it is still a good option.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Weight variation hasn't been a problem for me in terms of accuracy. Straightness is. I have found the Lee collet neck sizer works great with almost no run out. Have used it in three different cals with amazing success.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Years ago I was fooling with my 338 win mag working up a load for AK moose trip and was trying the 225 Hornady bullet and I couldn't keep 3 in a foot ball so I ordered some of the NEW SPEER GRAND SLAMS. FINALLY GOT THEM TO SHOOT 1 1/2 " AND ABOUT THEN I READ SOMETHING ABOUT THE BULLET WEIGHTS SUCKING DONKEY BALLS{ thank you for the new saying}. I was weighing 225s and getting 10% difference on them. Tried some Sierra and they weighed with in 2 tenths of a grain and shot good... but still not the magic 1" I was wanting. Then I tried Nosler 225 gr Part with 72 gr of R22 and got my inch group. I had loaded 6 more at 74 gr and was going to shoot them just to get my brass back. 4 of them went .362........ I quit looking for my AK load. .2 gr difference on them.
Once again for the sucking donkey balls............... Ray

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Strictly speaking, no it didn't. But also know hunters who killed quite a few of what would be considered dangerous big game animals with Partitions before such a category existed--including the 200-grain .30.

I also don't see a category for "Partition dangerous big game bullets" on the Nosler website.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ it needed to be posted ,thank you

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 33 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.