Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m interested in getting a blued S&W N frame revolver, 4” or 6” barrel without under lug. I’m already invested in .41 Magnum ammunition, dies, and components so I’m strongly considering an M57. I think the most recent version is the -5. Is there a preferred period of manufacture for the M57? If I were to describe preferred characteristics, I would say post Endurance Package and pre-MIM parts. That said, given the additional thickness of the M57 cylinder, is the Endurance Package as important to the longevity of the M57 as it is the M29? Thanks in advance.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Pinned and recessed no dash M57 is the cream of the crop.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ in a moment of stupidity, I sold mine. Regretted every single days since.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I regret getting rid of mine. Consolidating calibers is never a good idea. ...or maybe it's always a good idea, that never works.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Pinned & recessed is always the first answer. And I understand.

But, the last dash before the lock are ones I like quite a bit for the reason that they've had the most updates as far the endurance mods. Depends on intended round count & power levels too I guess.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys just made me drag mine out of the safe. M57 N877xxx made sometime between 80 & 82. 6" blue bought it new got it in the original shipping box with the wood pres case never even pulled the heat shrink plastic off the wood case. Never shot it much the rear blade is to short. What is really interesting is that.mine doesn't have the pinned barrel but does have the countersunk chambers. I figure it's worth atleast 3 times what I paid for it. Smith's have allways been the best using passbook savings accounts I have ever had. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 05/28/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunzo

But, the last dash before the lock are ones I like quite a bit for the reason that they've had the most updates as far the endurance mods. Depends on intended round count & power levels too I guess.

M57 doesn't need any so called "endurance mods"

The M57 no dash are without a doubt the best 57's and they are not in need of anything whatsoever

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

The M57 no dash are without a doubt the best 57's and they are not in need of anything whatsoever

Thank you, JWP. Your first sentence is the informed judgment call I’ve been waiting for.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Absolutely correct. I have verified this by shooting my guns for 35 years.

Last edited by GF1; 05/28/21.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With what “-#” did the MIM parts and lock start?

I’m trying to set parameters given this purchase will be subject to market availability. I’ve established the no dash P&R guns are great. What is the most recent “-#” manufacture you can get without the undesirable MIM parts and key lock?

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine will be here Tuesday. 4 inch nickel with the presentation case. IIRC no dash pinned and recessed. The seller threw in some ammo so I can go out and shoot it. I found dies but bullets and additional brass are elusive. Someday things will ease up and I can stock up.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Earlier the better. The S prefix is preferred to the N prefix.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Enlightening here for me to learn the 57 doesn't need the endurance package. Noted. Yet confusing as S&W chose to add it anyway. Did they or their engineers know something we didn't? But whatever the case, is it a bad thing to have if you wind up with a gun that has it?

Now that I've been enlightened, help with the P&R thing. Does that represent a time when Smiths were really good, maybe the best? If that's all it means, then I understand. Otherwise, does a 1/16th of a inch pin or a recessed cylinder mean anything else? I'm lost to the meaning of these 2 things.

Thank you.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I’m interested in getting a blued S&W N frame revolver, 4” or 6” barrel without under lug. I’m already invested in .41 Magnum ammunition, dies, and components so I’m strongly considering an M57. I think the most recent version is the -5. Is there a preferred period of manufacture for the M57? If I were to describe preferred characteristics, I would say post Endurance Package and pre-MIM parts. That said, given the additional thickness of the M57 cylinder, is the Endurance Package as important to the longevity of the M57 as it is the M29? Thanks in advance.

Expat

MIM started, I think, in 1997. The internal lock in 1998. If you want a pinned barrel and recessed chambers, go for a pre-1982, but I'd definitely get at least a pre-1997.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Enlightening here for me to learn the 57 doesn't need the endurance package. Noted. Yet confusing as S&W chose to add it anyway. Did they or their engineers know something we didn't? But whatever the case, is it a bad thing to have if you wind up with a gun that has it?

Now that I've been enlightened, help with the P&R thing. Does that represent a time when Smiths were really good, maybe the best? If that's all it means, then I understand. Otherwise, does a 1/16th of a inch pin or a recessed cylinder mean anything else? I'm lost to the meaning of these 2 things.

Thank you.

Pinned and recessed was a time of top quality craftsmanship at S&W

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You guys just made me drag mine out of the safe. M57 N877xxx made sometime between 80 & 82. 6" blue bought it new got it in the original shipping box with the wood pres case never even pulled the heat shrink plastic off the wood case. Never shot it much the rear blade is to short. What is really interesting is that.mine doesn't have the pinned barrel but does have the countersunk chambers. I figure it's worth atleast 3 times what I paid for it. Smith's have allways been the best using passbook savings accounts I have ever had. Mb

i have a 876 serial num six inch. stainless. i don't think it's ever been fired. pinned and recessed

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/28/21.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it's stainless it's not a 57.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
im always confusing the two, must be nickel, it is marked a 57,

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2 657's.

a 4" no dash

and a 6" -2

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I have 2 657's.

a 4" no dash

and a 6" -2

Those are beauties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.