Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I prefer the Sitka Jetstream over the Guide Jacket. Seems warmer and blocks the wind better than the Guide.

Me too.

I'd also throw in the Sitka Stratus jkt. It has a Reg fit vs the Perf fit of the Jetstream.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is the solid color comment valid for turkeys? We're new to the turkey hunting game, but have been told they can see all colors and shades.

Full camo or not for them?

I have surplus military Gore-Tex in BDU (woodland), ABU (sage), ACU (old Army digital camo) and OCP (new joint service fleck camo). If I don't need to buy more gear for the sake of more gear, I won't.

Brad, hard copy on layering. I'm all in on that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Really liking the Kuiu Guide Jacket. I am 6'1", 175 lb., and it fits snugly with a couple of layers, but not uncomfortably so. I bought the Large size, would do so again.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like the Sitka Jetstream, mine ran small so I bought an XL instead of L. I carry a puffy in my pack for sitting any length of time, as well as the Sitka Dewpoint rain gear (very light). Have used these extensively in a number of locations and am very happy with this outfit.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don’t have any experience with Sitka gear though I hear the warranty is excellent.

I have a few guide jackets and really like them. I have XL’s for early-mid season hunting and a XXL for late season (6’/175).

Pitter Patter!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I really like the Kuiu Guide jacket for that role.

I agree....

If you are set on a jacket, the Kuiu all seasons guide jacket is the one without the hoodie. I am not a fan of hoodies because I prefer to outfit with beanies and what not.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like to use Kuiu solids that blend in with the environment and also can be worn in public without displaying the camo look.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As to the hood, before I got the Sitka Jetstream several years ago, I didn’t like a jacket with a hood. This one, however, changes my mind. I find it very useful after hiking to a spot I want to sit, especially in a breeze, as it is very well designed and protects my neck.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David
Don’t overlook the Kuiu Axis jacket either especially if much rain or snow might be encountered. I have had both the guide and axis and while the guide is nice the axis is awesome.
I use the Axis when in colder/wet weather and normally just run a peloton 240 as my regular top layer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

How’s the sizing? True or a bit small or?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I normally size up when ordering Kuiu jackets by 1 size. I have an XL axis and had an XL guide jacket and both fit good with layers under. I wear a L sweatshirt in everyday life.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Left mamma a Father’s Day hint for the kuiu Guide.

Which camo pattern is best?

I love the kuiu guide jacket. I’ve found the vias works well in rocky terrain where the verde works great in the timber and tundra. I have no opinion on that valo pattern.

I will say that the guide jacket is a good jacket.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 805
I normally size up when ordering Kuiu jackets by 1 size. I have an XL axis and had an XL guide jacket and both fit good with layers under. I wear a L sweatshirt in everyday life.

I had to size up in the guide jacket. That is definetly good advice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
unfortunately there is no one jacket that's going to the trick; too many variables in weather and too many variable throughout the day big game hunting- hiking up a steep ridge vs sitting and glassing are polar opposites of what's needed

the best jacket in the rain/wet snow is a good rain jacket (my preference is the Sitka Dewpoint- lightweight, but still fully featured and durable)

the best jacket on the move is a good active layer jacket (my preference is the sadly now discontinued Patagonia Nano Light- extremely breathable, fast drying and warm while moving)

the best jacket glassing is a good warm puffy jacket (my preference is Nunatak's custom Apex insulated PCT jacket- can select how much insulation, sleeve lengths, overall length, fabric, etc)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throw the First Lite Catalyst in for consideration. It's quiet, handles a little wet weather, tough, has a little stretch for easy movement and insulates well in the temperature range given. I have a Sitka Dakota Hoodie but it would be way to warm for the 30*-60* temperature range specified.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
All of the brands previously mentioned are all great brands but take a look at skre brand.

I bought the hardscrabble two years ago and it’s been a solid jacket that you can layer with. It’s got put zips and high quality zippers along with great range of motion and is wind proof. Great price on it too when. Compared it to the other brands. They also have a size guarantee if it doesn’t fit they pay for the shipping for the switch out.

https://skregear.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqaPchbyD8QIVRAytBh1aYgGBEAAYASAAEgIIDPD_BwE

Last edited by Boxerdog; 06/06/21.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Kuiu Guide Jacket with a light weight down jacket stuffed into a small bag and a Kuiu rain shell. Will fit any weather.

Last edited by Orchemo; 06/20/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
After not hunting much for the last few years, I’m ramping up to hit it this year.

I live in the Pacific Northwest in Kennewick WA on the dry side of WA.

I’m looking for a general purpose hunting jacket. Temps range from 30-60*F and although this side is a desert, snow or rain is always in play.

Suggestions?

Backpack or camper hunting.

David Walter,
What I said before about layering with wool isn't nearly as important still hunting near your camper. You've got shelter from rain. As to a particular camo for.bow season, I would look into this versatile pattern. It has the ability to show some green with strong light in a green season. It reverts to the browns and tan in winter like shown. If you want more green for warm months, go with the Mandrake version.
Always remember the trade offs and you will likely be a happy shopper.
Polyesters reflect more than natural fibers and most nylons. An identical pattern will reveal sooner with polyester than the exact same in the others. Dyes have something to do with it too, but fabric is most important.
Solid wool earth tones can be ghillied with vegetation tie ons. If you don't move, you'll remain unseen when set up right. Those are general rules with some exceptions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d rather have a marmot precip and a $26 dollar synthetic puffy from Walmart Swiss tech brand than any one of the high dollar kuiu/sitka/whatever else is trending. Versatile and should cover most of your temperatures you mentioned especially with base layering.

Actually that is what I hunt with. I have a big down puffy for real cold.

Not that there’s anything wrong with the boutique brands but just one of them wouldn’t work that great for me. I don’t think the performance justifies the price of them either but we all have different budgets.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.