-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This weekend I was at the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior with some friends sea kayaking. Sunday one of the guys said he knew of a Vietnam Veteran memorial out on York Island. A group of us decided to make the nine mile paddle over to York island and try and find it. It was cool and raining when we launched but by half way it cleared up. We landed on the small beach and started looking for the path that goes up to the bluff where it’s at. There is no markings so if you don’t know where it’s at you would never find it. When we got to the clearing everyone went silent. Most of us are in our 60’s and we all knew guys that didn’t come home.
When we got back to our launch site after a long days paddle there was a park ranger. I decided to ask the young lady if she knew the story behind the memorial.
This is what she told me.
L CPL Merlin Allen was born and raised on York Island. His family made a small memorial for him when they learned of his death. His remains and the others of his team were not recovered until years later.
When the National Park service made the Apostle Islands a National Park most of the people that lived out on the islands had to move, including the Allen family.
His and his teams remains were eventually found and returned to the states. The Allen family asked the NPS if they could bury his remains on the island. With the help of a Wisconsin senator they got the approval. With the help of the Bayfield VFW they buried his remains and built the memorial.
It was a very touching and memorable trip that reminded us of what this weekend is about.

If anyone is ever up this way and would like to visit it while you are taking in the beauty of the shoreline and islands feel free to contact me. I saved the GPS location.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We would never know about these people, if you had no posted this. THANK YOU Rio7

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7

We would never know about these people, if you had no posted this. THANK YOU Rio7

Yesterday morning I was sitting on the shore drinking my coffee and enjoying the calm clear morning. All of a sudden I could hear taps being played followed by a rifle salute. The sound was coming from the direction of York island. It must have been a group from the Bayfield Wi. VFW. They do a great job of keeping the memorial nice and keep it hidden so it doesn't get vandalized. If you dont know where it's at you would never find it.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What a great way to cap off Memorial weekend. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks WS.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for sharing and the pics.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very cool deal, whackemstackem! Thanks for this effort!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thank You

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is touching, thank you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for sharing this story, but I would be very careful of who I shared this location with. Thanks again !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post. Thanks for sharing it with us.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Real nice job they did on that,thanks for posting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.