Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Isn't 9 yards a long way to have to shoot a bear in a self-defense situation? I'd like to think an experienced guide would have me positioned behind him in a situation like this.

Life is good live it while you can.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fuggin paper work blah blah blah.

Some of you dumbshits need to go hunt in an enclosure.

Fred Bear Wept...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Morewood
Warning shot didn't work?

"Warning shot" is a fallacy when it comes to bears. They don't mind loud noises. At all. IME. Then you have an empty chamber for a time. Short stroking in all the excitement is not unknown. Or a feed failure. Or needing "just one more round". I don't actively hunt bears, but that doesn't mean one won't hunt me. I want all the marbles I can get, if need be.

It is not unknown for Kodiak (and Afognak?) brown bears to come to the sound of a shot. Deer gut piles (and sometimes the whole deer) are easy meals, courtesy of deer hunters, and the bears have learned.

Trust me, facing down a 3 year old coastal brown bear at 40 feet in the glooming with 2 rounds in a .280, while rather bloody from a hurriedly field-dressed caribou back up on the ridge above makes one wish for a fully loaded magazine. I wasn't going to use one on a "warning shot" then or now. Or the next morning with a fully loaded rifle and the bear on the gut pile 50 yards down the steep slope from the carcass (lightly bear hit).

Cussing the bear out worked both times, as it did not in the OP's post.

On the other hand, "warning shots" can make cervid hunting real sporting. smile

I agree that it was the guide's responsibility to handle the situation if the client didn't want to to shoot that bear at that moment, but the client did make the decision to shoot. He has a better than average hunt/hunt story/ "trophy" out of it. Apparently happy with both guide and bear, so congratulations to him.

Size does not a trophy make. It is a memento of the hunt. Or should be, and he has a good one.

Several years ago in the Kotzebue airport, I saw a NR hunter who had taken a 2- 3 year old grizzly. He was right pleased with himself, and he had an absolutely gorgeous blue/silvertip pelt. I believe that was the bear's first year alone . Looked to be about twice the size of my 90 lb Lab. Maybe.

That is the prettiest bear hide I have ever seen, by far. I would not have shot it (size among other considerations) , but it was his hunt, his decision, his nickel. On the plus side, the taxidermy fee and space needed for a full body mount were lessened. I have no doubt he considers that small bear to be a real trophy, as he rightfully should.

I've never even seen another silver-tip, but my decision would have been to let it walk, and perhaps live a few more years. Neither decision should be considered wrong or regrettable.

Last edited by las; 06/01/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I saw a BEAUTIFUL silver tip in the Alaska Range.
Huge sow with 3 cubs.
Only silver tip I ever saw.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bet he regrets starting this thread

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Originally Posted by 257Bob
He is not unhappy but it was a tremendous expense, $25k+ all in, travel and two
weeks away from home and work, that's a lot of money to shoot a young bear.

Poor baby...... Is this a case of buyer's remorse? He experienced something that the large majority of hunters only dream about simply because they can't afford what your buddy could afford to do.

You and he both need to put your big girl panties on and quit defining a successful hunt based on animal size. Is he expecting part of his money back based on what he wanted to shoot versus what he did shoot?

Sheesh....!!

This post drips with envy.

And it isn't a good color on you bayourover

I'm not seeing the envy that you think that you see.

Every guided hunt that I've paid for have all been great experiences whether I have shot the animal that I imagined that I'd shoot or not. Over 20 years ago, I spent less for a likely comparably priced hunt at today's prices, and I left without a trophy animal. However, the experience was no less gratifying than guided hunts where I brought home "the meat".

I have no need for envy. Maybe envy exists in the eyes of someone who's never experienced enjoyable hunts unless they killed what they thought was worth the price that they paid for the complete experience. Either that, or maybe they've never experienced a paid guided hunt themself..? And in using the term "complete experience", as I used it, it does not mean a guaranteed kill to me.

For me, the hunt is the experience. A trophy animal is icing on the cake. Maybe that is not how you see it, but I can live with that without it affecting my life in any way. That includes no envy at all on my part that some total stranger who knows nothing about me or what I've actually done and experienced in my life reads into my post.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Morewood
Warning shot didn't work?

"Warning shot" is a fallacy when it comes to bears. They don't mind loud noises. At all. IME. Then you have an empty chamber for a time. Short stroking in all the excitement is not unknown. Or a feed failure. Or needing "just one more round". I don't actively hunt bears, but that doesn't mean one won't hunt me. I want all the marbles I can get, if need be.

It is not unknown for Kodiak (and Afognak?) brown bears to come to the sound of a shot. Deer gut piles (and sometimes the whole deer) are easy meals, courtesy of deer hunters, and the bears have learned.

Trust me, facing down a 3 year old coastal brown bear at 40 feet in the glooming with 2 rounds in a .280, while rather bloody from a hurriedly field-dressed caribou back up on the ridge above makes one wish for a fully loaded magazine. I wasn't going to use one on a "warning shot" then or now. Or the next morning with a fully loaded rifle and the bear on the gut pile 50 yards down the steep slope from the carcass (lightly bear hit).

Cussing the bear out worked both times, as it did not in the OP's post.

On the other hand, "warning shots" can make cervid hunting real sporting. smile

I agree that it was the guide's responsibility to handle the situation if the client didn't want to to shoot that bear at that moment, but the client did make the decision to shoot. He has a better than average hunt/hunt story/ "trophy" out of it. Apparently happy with both guide and bear, so congratulations to him.

Size does not a trophy make. It is a memento of the hunt. Or should be, and he has a good one.

Several years ago in the Kotzebue airport, I saw a NR hunter who had taken a 2- 3 year old grizzly. He was right pleased with himself, and he had an absolutely gorgeous blue/silvertip pelt. I believe that was the bear's first year alone . Looked to be about twice the size of my 90 lb Lab. Maybe.

That is the prettiest bear hide I have ever seen, by far. I would not have shot it (size among other considerations) , but it was his hunt, his decision, his nickel. On the plus side, the taxidermy fee and space needed for a full body mount were lessened. I have no doubt he considers that small bear to be a real trophy, as he rightfully should.

I've never even seen another silver-tip, but my decision would have been to let it walk, and perhaps live a few more years. Neither decision should be considered wrong or regrettable.

Great post, IMO............

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Who was the guide/outfitter?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
Thanks Phil! The bear came into camp, they tried to put their tents between themselves and the bear, throwing rocks and yelling. Not sure what else they could do, bear kept coming and was shot at actually 9 yards as he tells the story. It was a beautiful bear and my friend had a great overall experience, just not the bear he had hoped for. I was mostly curious on what would be appropriate in a situation like that.

Young, pre-pubescent bear are very curious but easy to scare off. They also have beautiful fur and over the years I have had a handful of clients who actually choose to shoot them. It's hunting. The client I just guided showed me a photo of the bear rug from his previous hunt . It was a beautiful rug but he knew he wanted something much bigger.

If the guide had shot the bear as a DLP, could they have continued to hunt for the clients bear?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
As I read it, the original post is not primarily complaining about the hunting experience, but questioning how the friend-client should have handled the situation.

And, taking the original post at face value, it seems to me that the guide wasn't 100% forthcoming with his client on who should do the shooting. Sounds like the client, being inexperienced, was a little too trusting of his guide, and the guide took advantage of that. Once the client said he didn't want to shoot that bear, the guide should have stepped up and handled the situation himself without further discussion.

My guess is that the guide didn't feel he could justify shooting the bear since they could have vacated/abandoned camp to the bear, but, he also didn't want it to ravage/damage his camp - so, have the client shoot/tag it.

JMHO

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He is not unhappy but it was a tremendous expense, $25k+ all in, travel and two weeks away from home and work, that's a lot of money to shoot a young bear.

Things don’t always go exactly as we planned them to go but that’s part of the thrill. Nobody is guaranteed that they’ll shoot a 10’+ bear and many times they don’t even get a shot at all so I’d consider your friend lucky, lucky that he got the bear rather than the bear getting him, lucky in that he had a safe trip since Alaska can be unforgiving and indifferent especially when you consider all the variables involved in a brown bear hunt in the wilderness of Alaska but most especially he’s lucky that he had a great time and made priceless memories 👍.

As far as expenses go....Nobody is guaranteed a 10’ bear and many hunters go home empty handed. If it was the hide of a big bear that he was after and wanted to be guaranteed a big bear he should’ve just bought a hide. The Alaska fish and game department auctions the hides of animals that they’ve “confiscated” so that would be his best chance at getting a hide big enough for bragging rights. 😉

Ultimately the decision to shoot or not shoot that bear was squarely on your friend’s shoulders. If he didn’t shoot the bear and it kept coming (not a fake charge like MANY close encounters are) then it would be the guides responsibility, and your friends to some extent, to stop that bear. He chose to shoot it to avoid the hassle and paperwork that a DLP requires.

On the bright side.....your friend had a great time, harvested a brown bear albeit not the one he wanted but a brown bear nonetheless, he had a safe trip, he saw country that few get the privilege of seeing and he made memories that will last him a lifetime. 👍

I do hope that your friend is able to get back up there and harvest the bear that he’s been wanting but if not I’d still consider him lucky to have experienced the “real Alaska”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Not really regret, he was happy with the guide and would hunt with him again. It was clear in the short discussion that the guide did not want to shoot the bear and deal with DLP paperwork and my friend had not real option at that point.

The above paragraph makes no sense to me.

He would hunt with the guide a second time??

You're questioning what he did on the first hunt, And I would be too.

He said the guide worked very hard and that he would hunt with him again. I imagine no guide wants to deal with DLP paperwork as it "could" be a poor reflection on his ability but not necessarily, I'm sure he'd like to avoid such matters whenever possible.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It was a really beautiful bear, young but nice coat.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

It's easy to arm chair this one but it all happened very quickly, they only had a brief minute to discuss options but the guide made it clear that he did not want to shoot the bear and my friend (his first bear hunt) felt like his options were limited, he shot it under ten yards, in the chest, coming straight on.

Based on this post you're a fool. I am not trying to "arm chair" this. I even noted a case where I was in much the same situation with a rhino in Africa. You have admitted the guide had NO INTENTION of shooting the damn bear! Therefore your friend made the decision on his own to fill his tag with a bear that WAS NOT A THREAT because if it was a threat then the guide would have shot it! Your friend decided to fill his tag with a smaller yet fully legal bear. he booked a bear hunt, the guide obviously put him onto bear and he filled his bear tag. Exactly what didn't go "as planned?"

I really don't understand whatever point you are trying to make. In your initial posts you seem to make the point your "friend" was forced into taking a bear he didn't want and when experienced hunters pointed out that was BS you sure seem to be singing a different tune. From your posts I'm guessing you have never hunted dangerous game have you?

I have no idea what you are talking about, you obviously have not read the entire thread so calling me a fool is a bit out of place

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Things don’t always go exactly as we planned them to go but that’s part of the thrill. Nobody is guaranteed that they’ll shoot a 10’+ bear and many times they don’t even get a shot at all so I’d consider your friend lucky, lucky that he got the bear rather than the bear getting him, lucky in that he had a safe trip since Alaska can be unforgiving and indifferent especially when you consider all the variables involved in a brown bear hunt in the wilderness of Alaska but most especially he’s lucky that he had a great time and made priceless memories 👍.

As far as expenses go....Nobody is guaranteed a 10’ bear and many hunters go home empty handed. If it was the hide of a big bear that he was after and wanted to be guaranteed a big bear he should’ve just bought a hide. The Alaska fish and game department auctions the hides of animals that they’ve “confiscated” so that would be his best chance at getting a hide big enough for bragging rights. 😉

Ultimately the decision to shoot or not shoot that bear was squarely on your friend’s shoulders. If he didn’t shoot the bear and it kept coming (not a fake charge like MANY close encounters are) then it would be the guides responsibility, and your friends to some extent, to stop that bear. He chose to shoot it to avoid the hassle and paperwork that a DLP requires.

On the bright side.....your friend had a great time, harvested a brown bear albeit not the one he wanted but a brown bear nonetheless, he had a safe trip, he saw country that few get the privilege of seeing and he made memories that will last him a lifetime. 👍

I do hope that your friend is able to get back up there and harvest the bear that he’s been wanting but if not I’d still consider him lucky to have experienced the “real Alaska”.

Good post.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been pressured by a guide to take game I didn't want. It was a gemsbok with a horn broken off on one side about 8" of the tip missing on one side. We argued back and forth which one to take because I thought there was a bigger one with it. He kept pushing me towards the other. He insisted I shoot the other one and we had spent hours stalking. I should not have had to pay full price for a cull animal. I believe dangerous, damaged, or injured animals are the guides responsibility when possible.

Bb

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It was a beautiful bear indeed and I know he is happy to have it, my point being that he ended up shooting a bear that he and his guide had looked over at a few hundred yards and decided that it was not what they were looking for. Suddenly the bear ends up in camp and he shoots it.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
AcesNeights, I think you summed it up pretty well...

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
calling me a fool is a bit out of place

No, calling you a fool is spot on. You tried to post a topic slanted one way and when you got spanked you tried to twist it another way. You're a fool. Deal with it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He decided to shoot it and he's happy with it - fine. I'd think that I'd do a ton of mental gymnastics too to convince myself I shot a bear I wouldn't normally after spending 25k to do so. I'd make sure I was "happy" too.

What others (and myself) are saying is he never should have had to shoot the smaller bear. Unknown just where in the 2 weeks this happened but either the bear was a threat or not.

If so - the guide should have handled it. GTFO with the paperwork excuse. If the bear's a threat, the paperwork isn't even on your mind. It's about saving your skins.

If not and the guide simply talked the client into shooting something smaller to "fill his tag" but gave a good story about paperwork and such - I'd never use that guide again. Hard to reconcile "he worked hard" but wouldn't fill out paperwork. Wouldn't or was scared to because things weren't exactly as the story is being told? Someone mentioned it's about 10 minutes to do. Hardly seems onerous.

Wondering if the story was concocted to excuse a small bear the client/guide talked themselves into to make it a "successful" hunt.

Me

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.