Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shot a deer this year with 105 gr hornady hpbt at about 40 yards. Bang flop. Sample of one. Shot behind the shoulder. Bullet was in the far side ribs, at least what was left of it.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Been using the Hornady 168 gr AMAX in my 308 for a few years. Awesome bullet and kills like a bolt of lightning.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by czech1022
Who has used the Hornady eld-m?

I grabbed a couple of boxes of those when they were briefly available in 123gr for my 6.5x55, but I'm not sure what to expect when I use them on antelope and deer.

Yes. Out of 6.5 Creedmoor I’ve used 140 and 147 ELD-M to shoot Stone sheep, mountain goat, mule deer, and caribou with great results.

I like having one bullet/load for everything. It’s affordable, effective and simple for me to use an ELD-M for paper, steel and animals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Why would you do that? Would you use a hunting bullet at a match?

Irrelevant.

Busted. I tried a non sequitur.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 05/29/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Originally Posted by czech1022
Who has used the Hornady eld-m?

I grabbed a couple of boxes of those when they were briefly available in 123gr for my 6.5x55, but I'm not sure what to expect when I use them on antelope and deer.

Yes. Out of 6.5 Creedmoor I’ve used 140 and 147 ELD-M to shoot Stone sheep, mountain goat, mule deer, and caribou with great results.

I like having one bullet/load for everything. It’s affordable, effective and simple for me to use an ELD-M for paper, steel and animals.

I’m glad to read this. My 6.5 CM shoots the 140 ELD-M very well and its trajectory tracks my scope’s holdovers closely.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MustardMan
OMG, lets not start this again. It will run 100 pages (again).

Even Berger now makes hunting bullets so don't be stupid.

So how many times has this topic come up in the 2 months you have been here?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by joshf303
Gotcha. Yes Sir, thought that (the Scenars) may have generated the question. I’d use them in a heartbeat in your 7x57...but I’m firmly in the camp that uses “match” bullets on game. MD’s above experiences mirror mine and “match” bullets offer more of what I want than their counterparts.

Have you used these Scenars on game? How did they hold up? I believe you said you pulled some from a 7-08 (peas in a pod).

Check here, Mike. Plenty of examples on different big game animals.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977783/1

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have hunted prairie dogs, 'yotes, crows, gophers with them. They work dandy for those purposes.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Unless there was a substantial body of evidence that showed a specific match bullet to be effective on game, I wouldn't use that match bullet on game. Why would I?

That is certainly your choice to make. But if everybody did, where would your desired "substantial body of evidence" come from? Bit of a Catch 22, no?
Somebody had to eat the first oyster ;o)

Cheers,
Rex

P.S. Still interested if anybody has used the Nosler .308 168g Custom Competition on big game. Like Paul, I want somebody else to do it first!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Unless there was a substantial body of evidence that showed a specific match bullet to be effective on game, I wouldn't use that match bullet on game. Why would I?

That is certainly your choice to make. But if everybody did, where would your desired "substantial body of evidence" come from? Bit of a Catch 22, no?
Somebody had to eat the first oyster ;o)

Check the link I posted above, I'd call that a substantial body of evidence. Some of the most experienced hunters I know use "target bullets" but they go by actual results. Not what the bullet is called, and not what they read on the internet. They tend to think of shot placement first

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Smokepole, I agree, the Death by Scenar thread is about all the evidence anyone should need. Most impressive!

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Smokepole, I agree, the Death by Scenar thread is about all the evidence anyone should need. Most impressive!

Absolutely, that's why I bought my first thousand!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

From last week....no it's not a grizzly, and yes it was taken with a "match" bullet.

A frontal shot at 403 yards, from a rock solid prone rest with my 6.5 PRC. He never took a step. 139gr scenar.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang! Congratulations!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

From last week....no it's not a grizzly, and yes it was taken with a "match" bullet.

A frontal shot at 403 yards, from a rock solid prone rest with my 6.5 PRC. He never took a step. 139gr scenar.

Dang, a match bullet and a 6.5 to boot, you must be one of them "stunt shooters" I keep hearing about, LOL.

Congrats, that thing looks huge! Any idea of the weight?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Dang, a match bullet and a 6.5 to boot, you must be one of them "stunt shooters" I keep hearing about, LOL.

Congrats, that thing looks huge! Any idea of the weight?

Thanks Phil!

I skinned it, and broke it down where it fell. I was three miles from camp....not my biggest black bear, but a good one. It squared 6' 6" give or take. Skull is roughly 19".

Perfect fur, that's what caught my eye.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

LOL, when Pat answers a question he does so succinctly.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome bear!

Well done....love the picture.

I will be hunting them this weekend with a 155 Scenar out of a 308. I am hoping it won't bounce off.

smile

Last edited by Oldslowdog; 06/01/21.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,482
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.