Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Pro Tip (from someone who flew with motors that spun at 17,000 plus RPMs) don't expect longevity from anything that spins that fast.

Pro Tip - it aint how fast it's spinning that's killing the turbo.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn’t the turbo that went out on my Saab, it was the turbo seals...twice. High rpm, heat and lubrication breakdown killed mine and I vowed to never buy another turbo charged anything. I’ve been living nicely with normally aspirated non-turbo engines ever since.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Higginez
Pro Tip (from someone who flew with motors that spun at 17,000 plus RPMs) don't expect longevity from anything that spins that fast.

Pro Tip - it aint how fast it's spinning that's killing the turbo.
True - it's when owners don't let the turbo and oil temp cool down before shutdown, especially if they're not running synthetic oils. Those turbo bearings get really, really freakin' HOT - and if shut down too soon the bearings can fry that oil at the bearing.. After a hard and/or long run, owners should let the truck idle for at least 5, best at 10, minutes before shutdown..

Last edited by Redneck; 06/03/21.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Got a call from one of my guys yesterday. Truck was running horribly. Sounded like it might be in limp mode.

Got it to the shop and the mechanic says it looks like we lost the turbo.

This is a 2013 Ford diesel truck. Mechanic said turbos are an issue with these.

Anyone else have this problem?
Yup - very common in the first two years of the 6.0... My F-350 lost the turbo at about 11K miles.. Ford replaced it with a new one (it might have been an improved model???) and it worked fine for the rest of my ownership with it..

This is a 6.7

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cummins.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got a call from one of my guys yesterday. Truck was running horribly. Sounded like it might be in limp mode.

Got it to the shop and the mechanic says it looks like we lost the turbo.

This is a 2013 Ford diesel truck. Mechanic said turbos are an issue with these.

Anyone else have this problem?
Yup - very common in the first two years of the 6.0... My F-350 lost the turbo at about 11K miles.. Ford replaced it with a new one (it might have been an improved model???) and it worked fine for the rest of my ownership with it..

This is a 6.7
Eek, my feeble mind read 2003.. laugh laugh Only thing I have heard about the early 6.7s was first-year valve issues.. Haven't heard about turbos in those yet (which means nothing... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those turbo bearings get really, really freakin' HOT - and if shut down too soon the bearings can fry that oil at the bearing.

Could it be because they are spinning 'at the speed of heat"?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

dont know why many folks seem to be so scared of a motor with a turbo , I have at least a dozen machines setting around here with turbos on them , and after 40 years of farming I have yet to loose a turbo

a turbo is no more likely to go out than many other engine components , IME

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sdgunslinger, early experience helped me get past the fright, but learned to take precautions. Back in the mid-70s, my 65 Corvair Monza had a fairly big Solex carb with the turbo that Chev put on there to make it the "Monza". That setup would wring some fancy revs and hp from that tough little horizontal six.

The air-cooled aspect of that engine did not help with the fact tat the main bearing in that turbo was heat vulnerable, and operating it in summer in the AZ desert did not help either. So long ago that I do not remember whether that turbo was designed with an oil feed to that bearing that I somehow expanded/increased, or whether I simply created one for it. Either way, I know that I also added an oil cooler to that setup and checked that oil and flow frequently. It worked. memory seems to say that someone came up with an aftermarket bearing of plastic material (maybe teflon?) to help with that issue.

Sure was fun to pull up next to some of those quick/expensive Porsches at a light and then leave them behind at go. Sold that one when we moved to MD - wish I still had it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Family owned small town business

http://www.blaylock-turbo.com/contact.asp

I called them and talked to a mechanic that happened to be the owner.

My mechanics shipped the turbo off to them today.

It will be at their shop Monday and they tell me they’ll get it out a day later. 1 year warranty.

We will see

Thanks.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Shipped turbo in to be rebuilt.

Got a call and it's fried.

So now it is either a remanned or an OEM which is on backorder until late this week.

Guess I will have to go with a remanned.

Anyone know what the warranty typically is on a remanufactured piece like this?

Montana MOFO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.