Print Thread
Hop To
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just picked up a lefty Sako AV Deluxe in 375H&H. It’s my first Sako so I know nothing about them. I was reading on a few forums where guys were saying the recoil lug sets against the front bolt in the stock and if the bolt and lug isn’t perfect(even if it is) under the recoil the stock is susceptible to cracks behind the tang. Guys said a light bedding job especially around the lug and tang cures this. Has anyone noticed this and should I bed the new rifle before I shoot it?

Thanks Roy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have not heard of this issue but bedding is never a bad idea. The 375 is starting to get to the recoil level where bedding becomes more critical. I will be bedding a Winchester 375 and I decided it was best to leave the cross bolts free of epoxy so they could be tightened or removed later.

Splitting at the tang is usually due to not enough clearance at the back of the action.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Same rifle but mannlicher stock and same cartridge. I have another in 30-06. I had the 375 bedded and kept the ‘06 stock. The wood stock on mine had shrunk and was gapping at the tang. Given recoil level I had it bedded. I would recommend the same for you.

While it’s out of the stock I recommend blue loctite on the ejector housing screws- they WILL come loose with recoil. You can also adjust the trigger.

These are great rifles. Excellent steel, straight hammer forged accurate barrels. Stupid accurate!!

No great direct mount QD ring options but the old screw nut rings, limits you to 1” scope. I recommend Talley mounts and rings, drilling the receiver and placing mounting screws due to recoil. I did not do that to my ‘06, just tapped bases with a mallet with brass shim underneath and used the set screws with loctite. Levers need to be on same side as bolt handle.

Finally, they are 3 position safety. Place safety halfway between safe and fire and you can move the bolt on safe. I will be passing them down to grand kids one day, so it’ll be a while!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had the mannlicher stock rifle in 375. It developed a crack on the right side of the stock from the front cross bolt down to the front of the trigger guard following the grain in the stock. I would definitely recommend bedding! It was a great shooter. Terry

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Absolutely beautiful rifle!

Personally, I would simply use vintage Sako mounts so you don't have to devalue your rifle by drilling holes in the receiver. The original Sako mounts work great, and your rifle will remain all original, too. Cool mounts on a cool rifle!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

As to bedding the stock, the usual rule of thumb for Sakos built on the L61R action (which includes the AV) is to not bed the rifle unless there is a specific identified problem that such bedding will fix. While verified wood shrinkage could be one of those specific problems, especially on a .375 H&H . . . I would ask over on the Sako Collectors Forum, since there are a lot of folks there with extensive Sako-specific expertise.

JMHO

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
First off, nice rifle. Congrats !

I had the same rifle in simpler trim for several years. Steady diet of 220, 225, and 230 grain hand loads. Not bedded. No issues with cracks. While I would not worry about it, bedding certainly won't hurt anything...

Enjoy !

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use Talley bases and rings on my Sako’s.

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I use Talley bases and rings on my Sako’s.

Do the Talley set screws Mark the crosshatch on top of the Sako dovetails? That’s my fear.

Roy

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I drive them on, don’t use set screws.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you place a lead shot under the set screw it shouldn't mark the crosshatch.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by GeoW
If you place a lead shot under the set screw it shouldn't mark the crosshatch.

i have a set I need to put on a 30-06, I’m gonna try that.

Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd also recommend bedding the stock, will feel more comfortable about any unforeseen 'accidents'.

Just an FYI, if you want a 30mm QD scope or Aimpoint setup, EAW has the mounts. Or I should say at least they used to, as that's what I have on a Sako AV from the late 80's.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,374
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.