Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My older nephew has shot a couple elk with his 7-08 and 120 grain ballistic tips as well.

I guess another 20 grains of bullet, and .041 inches in diameter must be a huge difference and step up from the .243....or maybe, just maybe the .243 would have resulted in the same 2 dead elk. I'll go out on the ragged edge and say that's a fact.

If there's a difference, shot for shot between a 100 grain .243 and 120 grain from a .284...I didn't notice it...

70 yards, busted the on side shoulder, caught the bullet under the hide on the off-side:

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

A couple years later, 235 yards:

Same scene but in reverse, went in behind the near shoulder, broke the opposite:

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Uh oh, I see another road trip in the wife’s grocery getter coming.

A guy wearing shiny brown dress shoes that has to take 4 trips to pack a cow elk 2 miles might want to reconsider playing the tough guy.

You’ve got everybody on the ropes, don’t weaken now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Didn't you mention you converted to 6mm relatively late in your hunting life?

After reading your post.......I will have to admit, a lot of doe Pronghorn fell quickly to the 95 grain Ballistic tip.....both .243 and 6mm........in the hands of my then-young sons.

Later, found the .260 to be superior, for a youngsters starter rifle.

For the bigger stuff, prefer larger caliber bondeds and partitions. Premiums, as the experts say.

For the self-proclaiming experts.......please send an email address or phone number.........just a couple thousand pics. May be a phone pic of a hard pic......but you'll see the rifle and animal.

A handful of actual elk hunters surrounded by a whole bunch of dumbchits that give advice on caliber choices for elk that have shot one or two their whole life.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My ankles have gangrene......what more do you want?

Originally Posted by SLM

A guy wearing shiny brown dress shoes that has to take 4 trips to pack a cow elk 2 miles might want to reconsider playing the tough guy.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only thing Mike Weiner can teach somebody to do, is how to waste time on a internet forum.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you married, Greenhorn?

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
The only thing Mike Weiner can teach somebody to do, is how to waste time on a internet forum.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A fact, huh?

I guess another 20 grains of bullet, and .041 inches in diameter must be a huge difference and step up from the .243....or maybe, just maybe the .243 would have resulted in the same 2 dead elk. I'll go out on the ragged edge and say that's a fact.

A handful of actual elk hunters surrounded by a whole bunch of dumbchits that give advice on caliber choices for elk that have shot one or two their whole life.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah, I know the country he claims to be hunting real well...and I see no reason to make 4 trips to pack a cow out of any of it. I don't know how many elk my buddies and I have killed out there...but a pile.

Its an elk hunters piece of cake...pretty rare day when I don't kill elk there in an easy assed day hunt.

Shot this one there last fall, was by myself and had it shot, quartered and to the truck before noon:

Two day prior same general area, with a friend, we each shot one toward dark. We quartered them, came back the next morning and had them both to the truck by 9 am:

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is this why you don't frequent these threads?

Surely you know Rodney well, the CO out there. What's his last name, again?

Know where he lives?

Are you familiar with Cow Creek? Who outfits out there, these days?

grin

That open ground is usually very close to a road.
Just sayin'

And.......everyone knows Buzz ain't hiking to the back country. LOL

Yeah, I know the country he claims to be hunting real well...and I see no reason to make 4 trips to pack a cow out of any of it. I don't know how many elk my buddies and I have killed out there...but a pile.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Greenhorn likes BuzzH's headlights.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

If you're trolling for salami, look elsewhere. I have a fine woman. If it's self gratification you're looking for, you can find a couple photos of me HERE. I've no doubt the one with me, the Ruger M77 .243 and B&C whitetail when I was a very young boy will leave a long lasting impression in your spank bank

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Uncle Buzz has the headlights you're looking for......

If you're trolling for salami, look elsewhere. I have a fine woman. If it's self gratification you're looking for, you can find a couple photos of me HERE. I've no doubt the one with me, the Ruger M77 .243 and B&C whitetail when I was a very young boy will leave a long lasting impression in your spank bank.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is BuzzH doing some online research?

This truly gets better every day.

Nice cows Buzz........and nice headlights.

TFF

LOL

Know where he lives?

grin

Just sayin'

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BuzzH, a one day hunt?

Really?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

TFF

LOL

Know where he lives?

grin

Just sayin'

Who are talking about?

You mean the game warden on the Douglas side? Rod Leibert? Yeah, I know him, tell him hello for me when you see him next. I killed a pronghorn a number of years ago on a piece of state ground, Rod checked the buck. Landowner pulled up about the same time and Rod and I helped him locate a corner pin on his property boundary. I also helped Rod with a fish poaching case on Glendo.

There's a few wardens and biologists that work that area...I know them all...Knox, Hicks, Sherwood, Binfet, Todd, Brinegar...

Who's outfitting in that area? Better question is who isnt?

It such a tough area, I killed this elk on my way back from a meeting in Casper. Was just planning on glassing for some friends that were coming out later in the week. But, threw the rifle in just in case. First place I stopped to glass...found a bunch. Was my 3rd elk for the year in Wyoming, so picked out one I actually had room for in the freezer:

Cow creek? Never heard of it...laffin'

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/04/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thread about cow elk and the 243.

BuzzH puts up results of same.

Seems plain.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BuzzH is value added..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We hunt public, walk-in areas, and HMA's.

Surely you know all about them.

YOU'VE HUNTED MORE THAN MOST!

TFF

LOL

I've hunted in Wyoming plenty. I'm a MT resident, and took a 6X6 bull in WY last year on the Shoshone National Forest. I've also hunted walk-in areas and a few years back my son and I both shot a giant antelope on an HMA. They are both in the B&C record book. I may not hunt more than most, but you can take a walk through my trailer house and decide for yourself.. check it out CLICK HERE - smile

From Wyoming alone, I think I've taken 6 mule deer bucks, 1 whitetail buck, 1 bull moose, 9 pronghorn antelope bucks, and 4 boar black bears. Gonna be busy this year, my daughters up for a MT bull elk. Son and I also have tags for elk here. I have a Colorado mule deer permit, and a Bighorn Sheep permit - along with a stack of other licenses. I'm hunting for black bear this weekend. How are things in IOWA? laugh

Oh by the way, what caliber should I use for my sheep hunt? Want to keep it light. I've been packing an Kimber .223 shooting 62ttsx for black bear this spring. Is that moronic? Completely rolled a 6.5" boar last spring with it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is Rodney gonna remember you? You've surely heard the stories about his semi-pro football career in Wyoming.

You forgot Rodneys local biologist. Do you know his name? Begins with an 'M'. He does the rides in the sky, for game counts......wouldn't let me go along.

Got a zone 7 tag? I be out there, several weeks this fall. Time isn't really an issue, my employer of 36 years is paying me to do whatever I please. Didn't really need them anyway.

Group went 4 for 5 on cow tags, last November (HMA).......me saving a tag for December.....then got Covid and was locked down til the 23rd. Wife told them I was leaving after the local gun seasons here.....County Health said I was in the database and would be arrested if found outside the home.

Government.

When you gonna be out there?

You know none of the outfitters at Cow Creek? Any familiar last names?

Do you remember 'Slicks gun shop'....in Douglas?

September and October it will be Werner and 4 of the 5 sons. Send a PM......I'll buy you your favorite beverage.

Surely WAM's BS detector will go off. He's pretty sharp.

Originally Posted by BuzzH

TFF

LOL

Know where he lives?

grin

Just sayin'

Who are talking about?

You mean the game warden on the Douglas side? Rod Leibert? Yeah, I know him, tell him hello for me when you see him next. I killed a pronghorn a number of years ago on a piece of state ground, Rod checked the buck. Landowner pulled up about the same time and Rod and I helped him locate a corner pin on his property boundary. I also helped Rod with a fish poaching case on Glendo.

There's a few wardens and biologists that work that area...I know them all...Knox, Hicks, Sherwood, Binfet, Todd, Brinegar...

Who's outfitting in that area? Better question is who isnt?

It such a tough area, I killed this elk on my way back from a meeting in Casper. Was just planning on glassing for some friends that were coming out later in the week. But, threw the rifle in just in case. First place I stopped to glass...found a bunch. Was my 3rd elk for the year in Wyoming, so picked out one I actually had room for in the freezer:

Cow creek? Never heard of it...laffin'

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very impressive, Greenhorn.

YOU REALLY HAVE HUNTED MORE THAN MOST!

TFF

LOL

We hunt public, walk-in areas, and HMA's.

Surely you know all about them.

YOU'VE HUNTED MORE THAN MOST!

TFF

LOL

I've hunted in Wyoming plenty. I'm a MT resident, and took a 6X6 bull in WY last year on the Shoshone National Forest. I've also hunted walk-in areas and a few years back my son and I both shot a giant antelope on an HMA. They are both in the B&C record book. I may not hunt more than most, but you can take a walk through my trailer house and decide for yourself.. check it out CLICK HERE - smile

From Wyoming alone, I think I've taken 6 mule deer bucks, 1 whitetail buck, 1 bull moose, 9 pronghorn antelope bucks, and 4 boar black bears. Gonna be busy this year, my daughters up for a MT bull elk. Son and I also have tags for elk here. I have a Colorado mule deer permit, and a Bighorn Sheep permit - along with a stack of other licenses. I'm hunting for black bear this weekend. How are things in IOWA? laugh

Oh by the way, what caliber should I use for my sheep hunt? Want to keep it light. I've been packing an Kimber .223 shooting 62ttsx for black bear this spring. Is that moronic? Completely rolled a 6.5" boar last spring with it.

Page 15 of 30 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.