Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Otter Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When my father passed I inherited his 16 Ga Western Field Model 30 pump shotgun. He bought it on his 16th birthday in 1947. A guy in the local gun club had inherited a 16 Ga double from his grandfather a couple years earlier as well as a box of shells grandpa had loaded, probably 400 +/- shells. He asked me if I wanted them . . . How could I say no? My conundrum is - I have no idea what powder and shot load is in any of them without deconstruction. All the shells are "plastic" hulls and the top 2 layers (at least) are high base and 8-star crimp. The fella that gave them to me said grandpa used to shoot a lot so he got into reloading them. The grandson wasn't into shooting shotguns but wanted to hang onto grandpa's shotgun.

Would it be safe/advisable to shoot these in dad's shotgun? It needs a good cleaning but otherwise is in good shape, no rust at all and cycles flawlessly. Dad used it regularly for about 35 years and I for at least 15, but hasn't been shot for at least 20 years. What say you? Comments more than welcomed.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Without knowing about the storage conditions it's hard to know if they are suitable for use. That and trusting someone's handloading skills. Under ideal conditions smokeless powder and primers can last indefinitely. Obviously they aren't swollen like shells stored in a wet coffee can in a duck blind. In my judgement if they chamber easily you could test fire some of the assortment and see how they work. I'm not suggesting you shoot them, it's your judgement call. The Model 30 is a modern robust action, if properly cleaned and lubricated and the bore is clean and free of obstructions it should be good to go. I'm personally leery of shooting someone else's loads. I handload for rifle, pistol, shotgun, smokeless and black powder with confidence. However I don't loan or sell my ammunition. To be safe remember the old adage, "You just never know".

�The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.� Alexander Hamilton
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads. There a few things in life you can never tell anyone because they know better and have been doing "it" all their lives and how dare you question them. One thing is driving an automobile. The other is handling and shooting a gun. And for gun guys it is their reloading. Doesn't matter if they never read a book in their life, how dare you question my ability. Being around guns all my life, I can relate countless horror stories about reloads. I have stood next to at least 4 shooters that blew up or ruined their guns with their reloads. I would thank the man kindly, store them in a good ammo box for in case the world come to and end and never let them see the light of day

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What stuvwxyz said. Salvage the shot, maybe the primers and toss the powder.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

That mod. 30 is a robust gun. You will not hurt it. I use mine for testing 16ga loads that aren't in the book. Loads that I would never trust in my browning or mod 12's.

When I find a load that runs thru my chronograph I like and shows no pressure problems I send them off for test.

You will not damage that mod 30.
If your grandfather shot them, then I would not worry.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd shoot them. It's very hard to blow up a shotgun in good condition that doesn't have a plugged barrel. Maybe take apart a couple of the worst looking ones to see shot and plastic wads or fiber wads.
If they are #8 shot then more likely target loads. #4-6 shot perhaps a field load.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I have examined a few model 30's that were worn out and rendered unsafe. Though it was designed by John Browning it wasn't his strongest. They have a definite weakness and yours should be checked regularly. The square hole in the top of reciever are known to fatigue and crack. The square recoil lug on the bolt itself will develop a crack and at this point is unsafe to shoot. Interesting design and one Browning never felt got enough press. I have owned a half dozen or so including a WW 2 trench gun in its Stevens name. It was mentioned that they were stronger than a model 12, which it isn't. When the model 12 was designed it was pressure tested at over 300% overload and still passed inspection. An absolute tank of a gun. And I was standing 3 stations away on a trap field when an "expert" reloaded did just that. His handload mild trap load detinated that tank of a design. Blew the barrel completely off, blew the trigger mechanism out the bottom and flared out the reciever to resemble a gull wing fighter of WW2. The forend wood evaporated and the butt stock shattered. Any trap field has stories of blown up shotguns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.